Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,196 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me the 411 on schools in OKC? I am moving from Florida in August, and I have been in contact with a few schools (Jefferson MS and Webster MS). Any information on these two schools, or others, would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

62 posts, read 252,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbronco01 View Post
Can someone give me the 411 on schools in OKC? I am moving from Florida in August, and I have been in contact with a few schools (Jefferson MS and Webster MS). Any information on these two schools, or others, would be great!

Thanks!
I went to Jefferson before the city ruied the name by adding "middle school" in lieu of "Junior High." When I went there, it was a snobatorium (Yes, I was one of them). Three of the worst years of my life were there. It was living hell because the jocks would bully the others. We also had some that came from the ghetto nearby who were criminals. One I saw get arrested after he raped a girl in the locker room. IT may be different now, however, that side is gradually getting a bit to Mexican for my taste, which is one reason I moved to Quail Creek.

The Mother of a girl I dated in the past was the school secretery at Wester. At that time, she said it was fine, however, that area is worse than the area around Jefferson.

My advise. If you have not found a home yet, go as far north as you can. The entire southside is WAY too ethnic.

(Discaimer: I have several friends who are Mexican. I just prefer other areas)

Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM

41 posts, read 180,348 times
Good Lord. It IS NOT THAT BAD.

How do I know? I'm 16. Webster was my junior high... all 3 years. While it has many problems, it is not a horrible school. I'm white, which is the minority there, but I never had a problem. I was an honor student, Straight A's. The education is the same as any other school, its up to the student to take advantage of it. Webster does have gang problems and such but thats typical of any middle school. The schools, for what its worth, is also being remodeled in the near future.

And to the second poster. Webster is in a far better area than Jefferson. 1. There is a huge empty field south of it. 2. Theres a mega church to the north of it. 3. There is a beautiful Moore-esque neighborhood directly across the street, west of it. Jefferson is in the middle of 60's houses that are deteriorating because they are becoming affordable to undesirable families. Believe me. We moved away from that area.

The only draw I could see is the neighborhood that is next to Shields, which isn't horrible, but is not good. Its East of Webster, but not directly. This is where most of Webster's bad kids come from.

The Southside is as ethnic as you make it. The inner inner southside is mostly hispanic. From about 59th and up its decent neighborhoods, it gets nicer and nicer the farther south you go. After you pass 74th, all the houses are just like typical suburbia. The Southside is what you make it. I love the Southside.
Theres
Also, If you do end up going to Webster or Jefferson, for high school education I recommend Southeast. Its the 3rd highest ranked High school in the city. Its a great magnet school. I go there. You have to apply to go there and you have to maintain a GPA, it specializes in Technology and it has many great aspects. Its JROTC is the states best. Its also the only high school in OK that offers Telecommunications as in video editing and television commerical and show making. Kids get scholarships all the time from that class. Theres also a mega school called Grant that is easily one of the most beautiful schools in the METRO. Its an ok highschool that is plagued by typical highschool problems. The one you wanna stay away from is Capitol Hill.

But I do agree that...if you're looking for a REALLY REALLY good schools. Head to Moore. For highschools, Southeast or Westmoore.

Last edited by 2010grad; 07-18-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 03:11 PM

62 posts, read 252,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010grad View Post
Good Lord. It IS NOT THAT BAD.

How do I know? I'm 16. Webster was my junior high... all 3 years. While it has many problems, it is not a horrible school. I'm white, which is the minority there, but I never had a problem. I was an honor student, Straight A's. The education is the same as any other school, its up to the student to take advantage of it. Webster does have gang problems and such but thats typical of any middle school. The schools, for what its worth, is also being remodeled in the near future.

And to the second poster. Webster is in a far better area than Jefferson. 1. There is a huge empty field south of it. 2. Theres a mega church to the north of it. 3. There is a beautiful Moore-esque neighborhood directly across the street, west of it. Jefferson is in the middle of 60's houses that are deteriorating because they are becoming affordable to undesirable families. Believe me. We moved away from that area.

The only draw I could see is the neighborhood that is next to Shields, which isn't horrible, but is not good. Its East of Webster, but not directly. This is where most of Webster's bad kids come from.

The South side is as ethnic as you make it. The inner inner south side is mostly Hispanic. From about 59th and up its decent neighborhoods, it gets nicer and nicer the farther south you go. After you pass 74th, all the houses are just like typical suburbia. The South side is what you make it. I love the South side.
Theres
Also, If you do end up going to Webster or Jefferson, for high school education I recommend Southeast. Its the 3rd highest ranked High school in the city. Its a great magnet school. I go there. You have to apply to go there and you have to maintain a GPA, it specializes in Technology and it has many great aspects. Its JR OTC is the states best. Its also the only high school in OK that offers Telecommunications as in video editing and television commercial and show making. Kids get scholarships all the time from that class. Theres also a mega school called Grant that is easily one of the most beautiful schools in the METRO. Its an ok high school that is plagued by typical high school problems. The one you wanna stay away from is Capitol Hill.

But I do agree that...if you're looking for a REALLY REALLY good schools. Head to Moore. For high schools, Southeast or Westmoore.
Those "Moore-esque" houses were built around the same era as those "deteriorating 60's" houses around Jefferson. I know. I watched a lot of them being built while I was on the athletic field.

Times have changed. I said the mother of my ex girlfriend was the one who mentioned Webster... Not me.

Not to burst your bubble or cause a problem, but, grad, I'm 53. I went to Jefferson LONG before you were born and know the history of the south side. I can say from a great deal more experience, it is a pit. Many of those "60's era" houses are still quite nice around Jefferson and south of 240, but until you get to about SW 93 or so, it is ok, but not superior. The people around most of Webster are not exactly quality people. Plus you have the ghetto Mall slightly over a mile east.

No. I would go north and stay away from both Jefferson AND Webster.

Last edited by Hallway; 07-18-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,166 times
Default OKC school systems is HORRIBLE

I would strongly advise to NOT send your kids to ANY of the OKC school district schools. They can't even keep a superintendent.

Look into attending Putnam City, Edmond, Deer Creek schools. Much, much better. No comparison.

The mandated bussing in the 1970's destroyed that district and it has gone downhills ever since. I know, I was a victim of the bussing crap. Any famikly that cared about education moved out of the district to Putnam City or Edmond. This is why OKC growth exploded to the west and north in the 70's.

Just go into the OKC schools. The are falling apart. They did build a couple of new buildings (like the new John Marshall on NW 122nd), but that schools has had something like 3 principals in 3 years and gang problems. OKC schools are infested with incompetence beginning at the top and throughout the system.

My kids go to Putnam City schools. They are not perfect, but solid.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
The new superintendent will hopefully make a lot of changes. He has very high goals and along with Maps for Kids things will change for the better. The charter schools are great in OKC.

Could you provide info on the ranking of OKC public schools nationally and within the State? That way everyone can see where the system really stands.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:40 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
The new superintendent will hopefully make a lot of changes. He has very high goals and along with Maps for Kids things will change for the better. The charter schools are great in OKC.

Could you provide info on the ranking of OKC public schools nationally and within the State? That way everyone can see where the system really stands.
Rightly so. We were sorry to lose Karl Springer here in Mustang. I hope they get someone just as good for us. Good luck to OKC, you've got a great new sup!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM

41 posts, read 180,348 times
Hey Hey Hey Hallway. I wasn't even meaning for that to be taken the wrong way. I provided my insight which as a teen is much better since I JUST CAME FROM WEBSTER. I live in the area of Webster. I have had no problems my whole life in OKC or this area. I can give a better overall picture of Webster than you can. Not Jefferson, but Webster I can. Don't combat me on that. Peace?

46 years. There are plenty of good schools in the OKC district, don't be ignorant. All the elementaries, save a few, are just the same as any ones in the suburbs. Mainly because the students are so young, they behave well. Problems start in Middle School when all the kids get older and get involved in the wrong things and make em' look bad. For most high schools it evens out. Theres a lot of bad high schools and middle schools, but there are good ones too. Although the bad outnumbers the good. lol. But you know whats funny? Some of the smartest kids come from the city. I would watch what you say because not everyone has the money to pick and move to a fancy cookie cutter suburb. My family cares very much about education, but we can't afford to move. I'm one of the smartest kids at S.E. which is saying something since we have a higher API score than a lot of those "Nice, Solid, Suburb Schools". It doesn't matter where you go. That education is available to you. Its up to YOUR CHILD to take it. And that all comes down to how he/she was brought up.

But I do agree. If you want a much better district then choose those suburbs. But to rule out all of OKC schools is ignorant and grow up.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:12 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010grad View Post
It doesn't matter where you go. That education is available to you. Its up to YOUR CHILD to take it. And that all comes down to how he/she was brought up.

But I do agree. If you want a much better district then choose those suburbs. But to rule out all of OKC schools is ignorant and grow up.
I'm with you 2010 grad. Trenton, NJ high school is one of the worse inner city schools in New Jersey (where I moved from). Yet, every year more than one student goes on to Princeton or Harvard (usually on a full scholarship). City schools may have problems indigenous to inner cities, but the suburban high schools have their own problems, usually drugs, too much money and alcohol. Every high school is difficult to maneuver these days. But to wipe out an entire district with such a broad sweep is a tad provincial.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM

27 posts, read 64,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Step back for one second - the charter schools are not great in OKC - they get a different type of kid, but the curriculum is no better, in fact one of the schools that calls itself a Science and Technology charter has had 60% or better failing scores on the EOI's for Science for the last 5 years or so and they have no innovative technology program...the charter schools are run by individuals that think running a public program with a profit motive will somehow work - it doesn't. That being said, OKC schools are in a rut - there are many better options circling the OKC metro area - Edmond, Putnam City, Yukon, Mustang are all much better schools and would allow you to be near enough to OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City