Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
This is too bad. I understand how Wichita has always been a product of the KC market for pro sports as OKC has been for Dallas, with the cut-off line being the OK-KS border. Being that there is no NBA product in KC though, the obvious choice for Wichita residents should be the Thunder. Then again the NBA has been off the radar of Kansas for so long I suppose most just don't care about the league whatsoever. Hopefully in time the support will travel north up I-35. I can see how Arkansas may be "taken" with the Grizzlies in Memphis and obviously Texas is spoken for. Missouri and Kansas should be up for grabs as far as NBA support goes.

One thing holding back support could obviously be television coverage. FS Oklahoma a sub feed of FS Southwest carries most of the games here. Isn't Wichita served by FS Midwest anyway? Even so I would think it would be a good idea for them to pick up the Oklahoma feed for Thunder games. I assume radio stations don't cover the team as well? I do predict that someday the media up there will pick up on the team, the question is just when.
Good post Nameless. I think that the Thunder getting into the playoffs and playing well (as they are) is a step in that direction. I hope they beat LA tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
The NBA is interesting in that it goes to several cities that have none of the other 4 professional sports teams present. Besides OKC and Memphis that are already mentioned:

San Antonio
Salt Lake City (Utah Jazz)
Sacramento
Orlando
Portland

Out of the 30 NBA teams, 8 of them are the only game in town.

Compare that to the NHL with only 3, San Jose (which doesn't count in some ways since there are other pro teams in the Bay area) Raleigh (Carolina Hurricanes) and Columbus Ohio... but near Cleveland and Cincinnati with no NHL teams. I could expand this list with several Canadian teams since I am only mentioning the big 4, but all of these cities have CFL teams as well: Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

The NFL has the Jacksonville Jaguars as its one stand only sports team town. An asterisk has to be put by Green Bay since it is so close to Milwaukee and plays some home games there (or used to).

No major league baseball teams are in cities with only one team.

I think it is a pretty smart move to be the only pro sports show in town.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM

152 posts, read 370,095 times
Pay me ~ $40 bucks and I will consider going to an NBA game?

Can you say LAME?

I mean really?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM

497 posts, read 507,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
Pay me ~ $40 bucks and I will consider going to an NBA game?

Can you say LAME?

I mean really?
OMG you are so right!!! I hate it just despise the NBA!I hate it because tyhe sport is so popular around the world but i want it to fail but it keeps growing!!! Then you got Lebron marketing and blowing Cleveland into a major sports market, these guys doing these athletics dunks can't stand it all, i'll rather watch my MLB!!! 183 games of 9 innings of excitement!!! SIKE!!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:12 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times
The NBA has a LOT of problems; I agree. College BBall is much better but I do like the athleticism of the NBA.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:43 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,412 times
I don't care whether people like NCAA or NBA better but even if you like NCAA better I don't think anyone can deny it's a good thing for the NBA to be in a city. It's not a perfect product but I can't understand why anyone would hate it or not like, especially coming from NCAA fans not just the general public.

Everyone says the NBA was better "back in the day" too. Little would I know though. I just turned 20 this month so before 2000 is unknown to me. Besides, every generation says it was the best "back in their day".

Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Compare that to the NHL with only 3, San Jose (which doesn't count in some ways since there are other pro teams in the Bay area) Raleigh (Carolina Hurricanes) and Columbus Ohio... but near Cleveland and Cincinnati with no NHL teams. I could expand this list with several Canadian teams since I am only mentioning the big 4, but all of these cities have CFL teams as well: Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

Not to be picky but Ottawa hasn`t had a CFL team since 2006, so the Senators are the only game in town. Ottawa is supposed to return to the CFL in the next few years though.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not to be picky but Ottawa hasn`t had a CFL team since 2006, so the Senators are the only game in town. Ottawa is supposed to return to the CFL in the next few years though.
Not picky, the thought did come to me that I hadn't checked the CFL in some years and I might be wrong on that point. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,301 times
The Thunderdome is hazardous to your health | Daily Thunder.com

i went deaf at this game.

Apparently game 6 with westbrook's 4th quarter Layup and 1, was recorded at 112 decibels.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 AM

466 posts, read 1,625,301 times
The only game I can compare OKC Game 3 to, was the NBA Finals 2005 Game 1 (Spurs vs. Pistons.) Thunder game 3 in OKC was slightly louder then Game 1 vs. Pistons at the SBC Center in San Antonio. And believe me, Spurs fans are LOUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City