Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:33 PM

17 posts, read 83,974 times

Advertisements

What does your friend say?

At least you have a buddy over there which is more than I got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBelle View Post
What does your friend say?

At least you have a buddy over there which is more than I got.
You've got lots of friends.....you just haven't met them all yet.....

Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM

16 posts, read 29,431 times
I am joining your thread because I have a similiar situation as yours, and am hoping for some input from an outside source. I am a single mother of 1 gilr-6 years old. I am on the fence about moving. I have a job that is pretty good, have only been there since the very last week in Dec. 2008 and it is my second job since graduation from 4 year college last May 2009.
I lived in Texas with my boyfriend and I have a small amount of family there, not sure Id see them or not, depends on where I moved. Not sure if my (ex)boyfriend and I would be together or not. But, I have wanted to go back since I left. I have been sad here since the day I drove back (I cried actually). That was 3 years ago. I havent seen my ex in 1.5 years. There was a point that we talked about marriage. He is scared since we havent been around eachother much in the past 3 years.
I want to move because I loved it in TX. I would miss my fam though and dont know how long I would have to go before I could see them again.
I always wanted to go to college so that I could get a job anywhere I wanted and move far away. I always thought it would be neat. But I am scared that I would not make it alone with a 6year old child. What if I couldnt get a good enough job to raise my daughter. What if I didnt have any friends? What if my ex didnt want us? These are some fears.
Help!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 AM

551 posts, read 1,924,523 times
Sann...if you do move here, keep us posted on how things are going. I have a friend who lives in Norman, and she is in an abusive marriage--I'll leave it at that as to not switch topics. BUT a couple of her 'excuses' for not wanting out of the marriage are that she couldn't do it on her own (she has a daughter who just turned 4) and nobody would want to date her. Again, excuses and not changing topics. I just would like to be able to give her an example that it is possible for a young single mother to thrive here in Oklahoma. Which I know is true because there are unfortunatly an abundance of single mothers here!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Sorry, did anyone respond to my post? It doesnt look like it. But its hard to tell. Id love some input. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:24 PM

was that post for me, four oh five?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:34 PM

I am scared of no support network. You know, for those doctor appointment days, sick child days, what if I couldnt make it on my own and had to come back again to MI?!
I think the posts were for me, and y'all said some true things. I will think about them, for sure.

4O5: If I do do this, I will surely let you know what happens. I can totally understand your friends fear. I was in an abusive relationship with my daughters father. She and I havent seen him since she was 1.5. That was a blessing. Not-so simple for your friend it sounds like. I dont know what to say about her fear of noone wanting her, because I feel exactly the same way. Who wants a 30 year old single mother w a kid in tow?! And if they do want it, then why? And how does a single mother have time to date anyway, let alone meet someone worth a damn. Life sucks.

Goodpasture: thanks! you are right! I just dont know how to even make friends anymore. Time is a big factor.

BloodyBelle: To answer your wise question: My buddy changes his mind every other day. He is scared. Doesnt seem to want to be a part of the decision in case it turns out crappy. Then says if we want a chance, we gotta be close to date. But he isnt willing at all to make the move. id have to. This totally sucks.

I am stuck in a bad mind frame people! I have been unhappy for too long. Its starting to be a very familiar feeling. I dont know any happiness anymore. I dont know what it is like to feel happy.

Sorry guys. Rough day. My guy told me today: "I dont think its gonna work." Ruined my day.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 AM

297 posts, read 586,475 times
Em, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't say that I know what you're going through entirely, but some of my own fears are similar to yours. The longest I've lived away from my family is two months, and when I move to OK it's going to be an indefinite amount of time before I come back home. Even if I do get to come home for Christmas like I hope to, that's more than twice as long as I've ever gone without seeing them before. I wonder how it will affect me emotionally, and how that will in turn affect my education and social life, but I'm determined to make it work.

I was worried, too, about whether or not I'd make friends, but I think I've already made a few right here on this forum, and I'm not even there yet! Plus, the very nice people here are just a small example of the kind of people you'd meet in Oklahoma. I'm not sure if you're originally from MI, but if it's anything like Maine, it is hard to make friends as people generally like to keep to themselves unless they grew up with you, are friends of friends, their parents were family friends, they're trying to sell you something, or what have you. (which means, there's pretty much no such thing as truly NEW friends around here.) As far as I've heard, it's not like that in Oklahoma. There are potential new friends anywhere you go, even in Maine I suppose, but my (albeit little) experience with Okies is that they are generally more open and friendly than most. You could meet a new best friend at the grocery store, the park, the playground, or your little girl's daycare. And who knows, even if you don't get a chance to get out much and there are not guys around to ask you on dates at any of those places you DO get to, maybe your new friends will have single friends!

Also, I'm willing to bet just based on what I've heard about the economy in MI vs. in OK that you're even more likely to have a good job in Oklahoma than where you're at. I could be wrong, of course (though I hope not for my sake as well), but at least I doubt it'll be any worse than in Michigan.

I know it might ultimately be a tough decision to make, but don't rule it out out of fear. If everyone did that, nobody would ever get anywhere. You CAN make it, if it's what you really want.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:48 PM

B2F-
Hey!
Very nice message. I am very happy to hear your ideas. Many things that you say are true. They guy and I have completely broken up. I won't talk to him anymore. Its just too hurtful.
I hope you will find good things in OK. I drove through OK a couple of years ago. I thought it was OK .
You have a great attitude that I think will get you far.
When are you moving?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 PM

297 posts, read 586,475 times
Not exactly sure. It sort of depends on how quickly I get my financial situation figured out after the visit we're making there (leaving later today, actually.) It also depends on if I find an apartment and if and/or how long I can convince the landlord to hold it for me. Everything is pretty much up-in-the-air for now. I need to be here the entire month of June, after that, I can go as soon as everything's worked out. All I know for sure is I'd better be there and settled by August 24th, cuz that's my first day of classes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City