Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:25 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,436 times

Advertisements

Computer Guy... The majority of GOOD pics dont come from a car.. They come from a person who knows composition, how to manipulate a pic to make it better than it really looks and when to take it. Hopefully some pics of OKC will really show a true image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Computer Guy... The majority of GOOD pics dont come from a car.. They come from a person who knows composition, how to manipulate a pic to make it better than it really looks and when to take it. Hopefully some pics of OKC will really show a true image.
Hi HT,

Yeah, I know about image composition...
(I won awards for my photos way back when.... The trick is to basically use the edges like a frame on a portrait.)

But photos out a car window, (which Peggy has done before) give you the "You are there" kind of feel... Which I was looking for.

Like this one I took on the way to work a few years ago:

It gives you the feeling of being on the road there....
(I WILL miss that view...)

If we want to talk about REAL "magic" photography, we'd have to look at some of the real estate people who seem to be able to make the worst dumps look good from just the right angle. Now THOSE folk are artistes!

M.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:01 PM

More to it than that.....But basicallly the pic you gave has good comp. because a person reads from left to right. The pic allows the viewer to remain engaged with the image because the horizon line goes from top right to the bottom left.

Bad pic-When the horizon line goes from top left to bottom right of the pic...The eye follows the horizon line and falls of the page. This makes for a bad pic or painting/image because the viewer has difficulty in keeping engaged with the image.

To throw in a real twist is the fact that some societies read from right to left which of course would reverse the desired composition.
Having a fine art background gives me a great understanding of all the elements that can make a great composition. The best.

Last edited by happytown; 12-09-2007 at 05:11 PM..

Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
I have to go up to OKC next Friday. I'll have to make sure to clean off my windshield before I go.

Happytown, you posted some really great pictures of OKC not too long ago, very artistic. Maybe you could copy and post that thread.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 PM

I cant post pics at all peggy!! Im not very computer savvy which is saved for the designers out there! I have taken pics but I need to figure out how to post them...Computer dork over here.

But here is the thread...
//www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...ics-stuff.html

Old 12-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I have to go up to OKC next Friday. I'll have to make sure to clean off my windshield before I go.

Happytown, you posted some really great pictures of OKC not too long ago, very artistic. Maybe you could copy and post that thread.
I'm NOT looking for artistic... I want the pics out of your windshield..

Thanks!

M.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:21 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Thanks, Happy. I enjoyed looking at them all over again.

After Synopsis explained how to post pictures about 20 times, I finally got it.

OK, ComputerGuy, I hope the weather is at least sunny. I just have to point and click.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Happy. I enjoyed looking at them all over again.

After Synopsis explained how to post pictures about 20 times, I finally got it.

OK, ComputerGuy, I hope the weather is at least sunny. I just have to point and click.
Hopefully you won't be the one driving...
We don't want any accidents.

I see that you guys got some pretty severe ice...

FOXNews.com - Midwest Ice Storm Grounds Flights, Knocks Out Power, Blamed for 6 Deaths - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

M.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 12-10-2007 at 04:09 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
I lived in OKC for years and still go back all the time. I agree with Dale, there is no area I would be afraid to drive through or go in to a store or restaurant during the day. There are a few areas I would not stop in at night. There are lots of bars I wouldn't go in. Compared to places like New Orleans, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas (sorry Synopsis) and other cities, I never felt any danger or racial tension in OKC just driving around.
No apologies needed for the Dallas remark. I live on the Fort Worth side in Tarrant County anyway. Fort Worth is much safer, and is alot like OkC. Dallas is pretty, but they still need to get a handle on their crime issue.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I'm NOT looking for artistic... I want the pics out of your windshield..
Thanks! M.
There's a time and place for everything. I agree, Peg's (and others) have taken some great pics from the wheel. I for one, am not going to get out of the car, line up the horizons, put down my tripod, take a light meter reading, check my Fstop exposure and then THEN look to find the moment has passed and now there's nothing left but bldgs.

I need to get out before the 12th to get a pic for the CDF photography contest. There will be some fantastic pics. Don't know when I will get out because it is work work work, then slumber and hit the remote.

Catching OKC unaware may be just the order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City