Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 659 times

Advertisements

My 18 year old son will be moving to OKC for his first job in the downtown area. Budget $1500 and under. We have pretty conservative values. He is not sure if he wants to have a car for now so we are looking at apartments near his work as he's thinking he could just walk or use an electric scooter to get around, advisable? Safe enough to walk?

We do not have family or friends in that area so as a parent I am pretty concerned if he would adjust and if it's overall a safe place for him to live ALONE. I know at 18 he's legally an adult but as a parent, you can't help but still worry as this is his first ever move on his own. He is thinking of The Metropolitan apartments but I was looking at Avaire which is a straight shot. Anyone has any opinion to share in terms of the safety aspect of an 18 year old living alone in OKC and if there are pockets of downtown area we should seriously AVOID?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 03:49 PM

17,813 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Both of those locations are in nice parts of downtown, The only thing bad I can see is that the Avaire is not real far from the county Jail. There are a couple of homeless camps down behind the jail. That area is a few blocks west of Avaire but there are still a couple of nice housing areas between Avaire and the jail area. The jail area and points south to I-40/river are really the only seedy areas left in downtown and they are all on the block to be developed. If he lived there he just needs to avoid going west/or southwest on foot past the Civic Center (he wouldn't really have any reason to do so).

The Metropolitan is buffered from bad neighborhoods on all sides. You really couldn't walk into a seedy part of town on accident from there.

From either place he is close to work and within walking distance of all the entertainment districts downtown.

Walking or scootering to work shouldn't be a problem. At night walking around alone would probably be ok if he used some discretion and stayed on well lighted and well traveled pathways.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:47 AM

24,601 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Please look into leasing requirements (signer/co-signer) and options for breaking the lease if necessary.

Electric scooters come in all sizes. Will he be able to keep it in the apartment and charge it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City