Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens by State, 1970-2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
So why are Republicans always saying Oklahoma is a highly undesirable place for business and industry to relocate to due to taxes being too high, and so we gotta respond by reducing the state income tax? Maybe business and industry would be more offended by the sorry state of public health in Oklahoma, fearing too many sick calls and higher cost to provide health care benefits.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
WOO-HOOO, my state is even a good tax state. There are some states that it is just got to be a strain to live in because they're taxed to death.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So why are Republicans always saying Oklahoma is a highly undesirable place for business and industry to relocate to due to taxes being too high, and so we gotta respond by reducing the state income tax? Maybe business and industry would be more offended by the sorry state of public health in Oklahoma, fearing too many sick calls and higher cost to provide health care benefits.
What republicans? I thought the breakdown as to the best places to do business usually comes from things like Forbes magazine and the like, not any political party? Plus the taxes may be low, which is great but the business taxes may be higher. Taxes are not a simple thing or something we all understand. NMnita

Old 06-22-2007, 10:00 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Taxes on businesses are different from the tax burden on the unwashed masses, from what I understand. And although Oklahoma is a pro-business climate, business taxes there are greater than what they are in places like Texas. I'm basically echoing the statement that nmnita made above.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
It all depends on personal circumstances. I own property in Tahlequah and am considering retiring there, but would have to pay substantially higher taxes than I do in AZ because OK income taxes are much higher, property and sales about the same (most OK towns have sales added on, sometimes at high rates). I would save on gas taxes and vehicle registration, but not enough to offset the higher income tax. If I were to go to Michigan, my income taxes would be zero due to exemption of pension income, but property taxes would be high as would gas. So you have to work out your own formula. No doubt OK is a lot lower than most places.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:39 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,802 times
Wink Sit down with a tax accountant and figure it out.

Tax climate is indeed confusing when it comes to retirees. For instance, Texas has no income tax, but local sales taxes and property taxes can be higher than say, in Louisiana, that has a state income tax.

Check to see what pension or other retirement income streams are taxed or not taxed. I have a friend who is a retired NYC Policeman who would not pay anything on his NYC police pension if he stayed in NY state, but he pays living in Florida.

Some states have an income tax but exempt certain unearned income from stocks and bonds. Others are just the opposite. So, my friend, you really have to shell out a few bucks to someone who can figure out the climate in the state you intend to retire in. Best to actually visit and talk to an expert in your proposed retirement community.

Just because a state has an no income tax does not necessarily mean it is a good fit for you. Florida has no income tax but home insurance costs are sky-high because of hurricanes. Get my drift? Seek some expert advice from someone who knows your locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: