Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,692 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Ponca City, Oklahoma. In February 2007, I moved to Florida which was the biggest mistake of my life. Now, It's september 2008 and I'm getting ready to go back to Ponca City, Oklahoma. My home. Ponca City doesn't have a mall or dillards or lots of great places to hang out, but the people are very nice and the few places to eat are great. My favorite restaurant is El Patio and I'm totally excited to eat there as soon as I get to town. There are great elementary schools and one very great high school. If you have kids into music, this is the best place in Oklahoma for them to go to school. Ponca City is a predomiately Christian town with a very close knit community. I have several friends that were homeschooled all through their school years and they wee all friends with each other. they have programs for homeschooled kids to have gym class together and field trips. There is a great dance and gym school right on the main street in town, Grand. It's called Kim's Gym (i think as long as that hasn't changed since Christmas). There is also Fran's Dance on 7th street across from the high school that is very good. Both of those places have been around since before I was born (i'm 23).
I know you will love Ponca City and if you are looking for a good church, go to First Baptist Church. It's on 5th Street and has daycare durring the week, sunday school, kids camp durring a week of the summer, camp for the teens a few times a year and VBS for elementary school kids.
I'm bringing my 1 year old back to Ponca City where I wish she had been all along to be with our family and friends who are still there because Ponca City is a great place to live, worship, and raise your family.
You will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,847 times
Default Us to!

We are moving to Ponca City in June, and lived in Knoxville, TN 17 years prior. Good luck

Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Ponca is a nice community, low crime decent schools, good people. Only potential thorn is some recent job losses/transfers from COP. However if you are looking to buy a house there will be some absolute steals coming available over the summer.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM

288 posts, read 918,040 times
I grew up in Ponca...lived there the first 20 years of my life. Actually, that's not quite right....I was born there and lived there for the first three years of my life--then we moved just north of Ponca, in the countryside. I graduated from Po-Hi, but because we were outside the city limits, I never really got a feel for the town like those who grew up IN the town. I remember how much I loved walking in the Marland Mansion and the Pioneer Woman museum. There's a brick with my name engraved on it downtown. I wonder sometimes what it looks like now--when I left, Conoco still employed the majority of the people. (1995) I miss driving out to Kaw Lake and walking around. When the water level was just right, there was a tiny "island" where we spent many summer hours. I remember going to parades downtown. It's sad....I've a lot of family history there---my paternal grandmother was born there and lived there for the first ~70 years of her life. She graduated from Po-Hi! While I was a student, I always liked that I went to the same high school that my father and my grandmother did. Got a lot of family in the cemetaries out there...especially....umm...trying to remember the name. Something like "Oddfellows"?? Anyway, couple years after my grandfather died and was buried there and we were STILL getting mail for him, we had it forwarded to the cemetary.

Blackwell--never went there much, except once a year during the Fair. That was a big deal when I was a kid.

Tonkawa--I graduated from NOC, which was then and probably is now, dubbed No Other Choice either due to low grades or low funds. I was the latter. I really enjoyed classes there and wished at the time that it was a four-year college so that I could just stay there instead of transferring to UCO.

What I really remember of the general Ponca area is that it was a wonderful place to be a child, a place ripe with material for the imagination, plenty of nature for the soul, and boundless opportunities for the curious. I wouldn't trade my childhood there for anything, but I'm not sure I would be happy there as an adult (mainly because I've been to so many other places since). It was a great place to grow up.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 PM

56 posts, read 179,411 times
We are considering a move to Ponca from BA...not certian how it will work out but I noticed that several of these posts were a couple of years old. I am trying to locate a homeschool group in town. Does anyone have a "group name". I don't want an individuals name - that's not wise, but would appreciate any information about a group name so i could look it up online....
thanks,

Old 07-03-2009, 02:34 PM

20 posts, read 141,114 times
I lived in Ponca City for about a year and worked at the local hospital. I'm sorry to say that I don't have fond memories of Ponca City.

The hospital was an embarrassment to me as an ICU nurse. Their standards were, how shall we say?, less than sterling, imho. They may have improved since then. It's been 15 years since I was there.

The Conoco plant always had a smell emanating from it that, even with every window in the house closed, could be smelled. My daughter developed asthma that year we lived there. The stench was horrible.

The Ponca Indians were killing themselves with huffing gold spray paint. I often saw them lying on the curb in the streets with a ring of gold paint around their mouth and noses. People just walked right past them. Sad really. That, and gold spray paint was $5.00 a can!

There were a lot of people with neurological diseases there like multiple sclerosis, seizure disorders, etc. I thought it was a toxic town and got out as quickly as I could, especially after my daughter developed asthma.

Like I said, it's been many years since I lived there but I would investigate it thoroughly before moving to Ponca City.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:56 PM

146 posts, read 1,010,985 times
Whe lived in Tonkawa for 7 years and loved it. We bought a five bedroom house there for less than 40 thousand dollars and our taxes were less than 200 dollars a year! I didn't care for Blackwell, it did seem more run down and many of my husbands clients (he worked with juvenile offenders) came from Blackwell. Ponca is nice but too big and the house prices are much more than what you would pay in Tonkawa. So my vote is for Tonkawa.
P.S. NOC has a lovely campus, our kids used to love to bike to it and ride around the grounds.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:33 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Been through that area of Oklahoma a few times. Last time I was in Ponca City was several years ago. I stopped into the Hastings CD and Video and bought some tunes, and as I came out of the store, I could see the antifreeze leaking out. Had a jug of it in the car, and babied it to a mechanic shop not far from Hastings.

The mechanic dropped what he was doing and helped me right away. Got a top radiator hose in about a half hour and I was on my way. Cost for everything was $33 (still have the receipt). He could have charged more and I told him so, but he just shrugged his shoulders and said "we just want the out of state folks to feel welcome."

Interesting comments by Oildog on prices. After I got back on the road (was heading to visit friends in Okie City), stopped in a nice mom/pop restaurant. Picked up a town paper as I was having one GREAT chicken fried steak plate, noticed the cheap prices for real estate, like say, $26,500 for a 3 bedroom. I thought, "this town has some possibilities!" After reading Oildog's comments, sounds like it still does.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,637 times
We are a home school family who has lived in Ponca City for about half a year, long enough to know it pretty well and short enough to realize it's faults. First off, for home schoolers, there is practically nothing. We've been looking for any kind of group to join and have come up short every time, at least for teenage homeschoolers. We'd love to connect with other home school families here, but have yet to find them. As far as the town goes, it's a nice place to live. Very little violence and friendly people. In response to an earlier post about the hospital, it has definitely improved over the years due to a change in ownership. So no worries there. The Conoco plant does have a pretty strong smell if it's a windy day and you're in the wrong part of town. Our house is about as far from it as you can get and still be in city limits, so we haven't had any problems with it. Other thoughts are that smoking is very high here in all the age groups and if you're not used to trains then the sound might keep you up for awhile (but my family didn't even notice the trains within a few weeks.) Ponca is a great little town, what is lacks in shopping and city life it makes up for in history and activities like lake sports and nature trails.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
I was born and raised in Ponca City.I miss the spring storms developing and rolling over the southern and western plains.We definatly have 4 very distinct seasons,at times extreme.But I like our weather. Ponca City is like a lot of things.It's what you decide and put into it.You want a nice neighborhood?Then your not going to smell conoco phillips,cause you'll be living across town. You like small communities?Thats what we are.You want major shopping?Jump on the nearby interstate.Okc,Tulsa,Wichita all about the same distance.And what you read earlier about Indians and paint.Disregard,every race has bad apples,the 1 year she was here,she only saw a few bad.I know plenty good ones.The native american communities around here have yearly celebrations the are fun to visit and gives us another distinction from other communities.You like the outdoors?We love it here...I hope that helped ease your mind and make feel more comfortable about your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma