U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

Hi there... I am considering taking a job with the university and I have been reading up on what it is like to live there. I have heard so many great things on this site about Norman. I had an opportunity to drive through OKC/Norman last year and thought it was very nice.

Being a single guy (late 30's) and a east coast native, I was wondering about things like weather and social activities outside of Sooner games. I know there are tornadoes out there and honestly I am not to excited about that possibility.

I have lived in many other states including PA, MD, VA, OH, MN, CA and AZ so I have been around the block so to speak.

I'm looking to live in an area very close to campus that is quiet. Any information is greatly appreciated.

BB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM

14,536 posts, read 10,545,278 times
Norman has lots of non sports related activity on campus. The reality is that you are in OKCs metro so you can easily attend events in OKC.

As far as finding a place to live close to campus. Probably the "quietest" areas close would be southwest of campus on the side streets along south *****rd. There are some great houses directly west of campus and directly northwest of campus along *****rd, Flood, Lahoma and Chatauqua but the traffic is a little bit busier. There are a few nice streets north of campus corner around McFarland Methodist church.

My favorite part of town is the area around the Mont restaurant on Boyd and Classen east of campus. The area east and north of there have some vintage homes. The fanciest part of that neighborhood is just southeast of the Mont.

There are some nicer more contemporary homes along Mockingbird which is a litle further east and north and the streets adjacent to Mockingbird (Morningside, Schulte and a couple of others. )

All these areas are within a mile or so of campus and include some of the most intense greenery in central Oklahoma. Sadly, once you get past these neighborhoods Norman becomes pretty ordinary. There are a few other neat neighborhoods in the older part of town (west of Norman high isn't too bad and just south of NW 24th and Main) but they are a bit further out and don't have as much of a campus feel to them.

I would expect to pay between 175K to 500K in the campus area depending on how large a property you want. You'll probably get about 1400 sq feet for the lower end of that spectrum.

For some reason the site is editing the street name P i c k a r d.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma