Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
California is so big that it does not have one dominant culture. There's even a big difference from large city to large city, and outside the cities there's an even bigger difference.

Country music is really popular in the central part of the state [actually a big part of the state.] I think my town has at least three country stations and all the top country acts come here every year. We also have a lot of rodeos, but rodeo I guess is more Western than Southern.

About the only thing we don't have here is a large number of Southern Baptists, but there are a ton of large non-denomination evangelical churches. The city I live in is basically the same as Tulsa, just with more Catholics and with agriculture being the primary industry.
>>>>>
The city I live in is basically the same as Tulsa
<<<<<

Minus the Southern Baptists and the country music stars being from that area....as you know Oklahoma has and is still producing some great country musicians. I do believe much of this is a cultural attribute of Oklahoma. My personal favorite is our own brand of country/rockabilly here in Oklahoma/Texas called Reddirt.

Plus, when I lived out there I couldn't find anywhere with fried catfish and okra or really good pork ribs/BBQ. Heck many folks didn't know what fried okra was and they thought of catfish as an inferior fish to eat. Nor did hardly anyone we met eat beans/cornbread with a a big ol' slice of onion. Made me long for home so many times.

The fruit was WAY better out there though....especially the strawberries.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 02-21-2012 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
California is so big that it does not have one dominant culture. There's even a big difference from large city to large city, and outside the cities there's an even bigger difference.

Country music is really popular in the central part of the state [actually a big part of the state.] I think my town has at least three country stations and all the top country acts come here every year. We also have a lot of rodeos, but rodeo I guess is more Western than Southern.

About the only thing we don't have here is a large number of Southern Baptists, but there are a ton of large non-denomination evangelical churches. The city I live in is basically the same as Tulsa, just with more Catholics and with agriculture being the primary industry.
The reason for few Southern Baptists in California.... way back when people in Oklahoma were packing up and heading to California looking for a life of adventure without laving their actions monitored by the eagle-eyed religious relatives back home. Young people who spent their growing up years being forced to attend church several times a week recognized how to escape and once in California, never went to church again, although, with age, some desired a connection to some sort of religion and found it in non-denominational groups.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 AM

217 posts, read 417,224 times
It is southern but non-traditional southern like Florida & West Virginia. I like the phrase the Dusty South for Oklahoma.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
I think Oklahoma is heart of a distinct region including a large part of Texas, Eastern New Mexico, Eastern Colorado outside of the Denver Metro area, Kansas and even Nebraska, and the SW corner of Missouri amd NW Arkansas. I would say that OK City and Tulsa share a kinship with Dallas Fort Worth, Lubbock, Springfield MO, Topeka, Wichita and Omaha. One thing that runs through it is the Mother Road US 66 now bypassed by I-44 or I-40. Oklahoma was once considered so worthless that it was used as a dumping ground for Native Americans when we ethnically cleansed the US east of the Mississippi.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
It is southern but non-traditional southern like Florida & West Virginia. I like the phrase the Dusty South for Oklahoma.
Oklahoma is a Southwestern state in the same sense that Illinois is the Midwest when technically the centrally located states would be midway to the west. Opinions vary, but, official designation is what counts.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I think Oklahoma is heart of a distinct region including a large part of Texas, Eastern New Mexico, Eastern Colorado outside of the Denver Metro area, Kansas and even Nebraska, and the SW corner of Missouri amd NW Arkansas. I would say that OK City and Tulsa share a kinship with Dallas Fort Worth, Lubbock, Springfield MO, Topeka, Wichita and Omaha. One thing that runs through it is the Mother Road US 66 now bypassed by I-44 or I-40. Oklahoma was once considered so worthless that it was used as a dumping ground for Native Americans when we ethnically cleansed the US east of the Mississippi.
In a way, I can agree with this. Speaking for Texas which also has these conversations, there is a fast growing connection between DFW, OKC, Tulsa, Wichita, and KC. This doesnt mean that DFW is losing their Southern roots or KC is losing their Midwestern roots. But they are establishing new ones as well.

Last edited by Spade; 02-26-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In a way, I can agree with this. Speaking for Texas which also has these conversations, there is a fast growing connection between DFW, OKC, Tulsa, Wichita, and KC. This doesnt mean that DFW is losing their Southern roots or KC is losing their Midwestern roots. But they are establishing new ones as well.
I disagree somewhat with you on KC. KC has less similarities with the Midwest with each decade due to the very fast population growth of its suburbs like JOCO which has a much stronger pull of in-migration into the area from the Southwest that includes: Texas, Colorado, Arizona, California, etc. The climate and culture of the area is also shifting to more of a pseudo California style vs a Chicago style.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I disagree somewhat with you on KC. KC has less similarities with the Midwest with each decade due to the very fast population growth of its suburbs like JOCO which has a much stronger pull of in-migration into the area from the Southwest that includes: Texas, Colorado, Arizona, California, etc. The climate and culture of the area is also shifting to more of a pseudo California style vs a Chicago style.
Interesting. That's about the same story for DFW though it was never actually part of the Southeast. But you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC is still very much a mid western city. KC's population hasn't gone up that fast within the last decade or two unlike Oklahoma City. The one thing that is interesting is the fact that Tulsa has declined city proper much like many other mid western cities such as Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis.

KC has seen its suburbs grow much like many other mid western cities for example Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, and so on.

With that said, OKC matches well with Dallas and Tulsa matches better with KC or even St. Louis. I do NOT see similarities between Tulsa and Dallas.

And with all that said, southern culture dominates Oklahoma with a healthy side of western culture and a dash of mid western especially Tulsa.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
KC is still very much a mid western city. KC's population hasn't gone up that fast within the last decade or two unlike Oklahoma City. The one thing that is interesting is the fact that Tulsa has declined city proper much like many other mid western cities such as Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis.

KC has seen its suburbs grow much like many other mid western cities for example Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, and so on.

With that said, OKC matches well with Dallas and Tulsa matches better with KC or even St. Louis. I do NOT see similarities between Tulsa and Dallas.

And with all that said, southern culture dominates Oklahoma with a healthy side of western culture and a dash of mid western especially Tulsa.
A dash? Perhaps a smidge from the remaining Yankee oil barons from bygone generations?

Tulsa as a Midwestern city is a complete misnomer. Just go look in the other forums (General/Cityvs.City, for example) and see the discussions by true Midwesterners and you'll see that Oklahoma and Tulsa are not mentioned in any of the conversations.

Culturally speaking, Oklahoma is Western/Southwestern/Southern all rolled into one which I call HOME. Midwestern? Absolutely not. This thread belongs on a true Midwestern state's board (Kansas/Missouri/Nebraska and back East), not Okieville's. Perhaps the Mod can stick a fork in it? Pretty please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma