Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
There are people who lived their whole lives in one state and still don't know much about that state.

There are people who have lived a few years in a state and know more about the state than some natives.

There are people who have never lived in the state and still know more about the state than some natives.

How is that possible? It's called a college degree, an internship, a fellowship, relatives, do I need to keep going on.

That doesn't discount your experiences or knowledge. But you can't discount a person who is highly educated in these subjects either.

I'm not saying that Oklahoma is 100% southern. I'm saying that the majority of the state is Southern. The majority means anything that is over 50%.

In other words you know more about Oklahoma than us who have lived here all our lives. Got it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
Just heard a report on the local radio about the drought....both the announcer and one of the interviewees referred to OK as a "Great Plains" state or "Southern Plains" state. Granted, they were interviewing farmers in Southwestern OK, but still...

Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
In other words you know more about Oklahoma than us who have lived here all our lives. Got it
But, see? She/he's a COLLEGE GRADUATE! She/he thinks weuns don't got nun o dem hear. Betcha she/he just finnished. When i wuz jes finnishin sum uf mine, i also fell in2 the trap uf thinkin i wasn't ignorant enymore. Den i did mor years and got mor edjucation and new I still wuz.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:05 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,683 times
Quote:
There are people who lived their whole lives in one state and still don't know much about that state.

There are people who have lived a few years in a state and know more about the state than some natives.

There are people who have never lived in the state and still know more about the state than some natives.

How is that possible? It's called a college degree, an internship, a fellowship, relatives, do I need to keep going on.

That doesn't discount your experiences or knowledge. But you can't discount a person who is highly educated in these subjects either.

I'm not saying that Oklahoma is 100% southern. I'm saying that the majority of the state is Southern. The majority means anything that is over 50%.
Well, I have lived in far more places than just Oklahoma. I was actually born in Indiana, my dad (born in Tulsa) was in a PHD program at IU when I was born. My mother was born in Alabama and her family is truly southern. My Alabama born grandfather went to Auburn but lived in Tuscaloosa just so he could fly a Aubie flag in the hear of 'Bama country. Now that's southern.

My parents met in Europe as college students as a matter of fact. I've lived in Oklahoma, Maryland, Florida, Alabama, Indiana and Kansas. Your condensation is cute but misplaced. You still have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
But, see? She/he's a COLLEGE GRADUATE! She/he thinks weuns don't got nun o dem hear. Betcha she/he just finnished. When i wuz jes finnishin sum uf mine, i also fell in2 the trap uf thinkin i wasn't ignorant enymore. Den i did mor years and got mor edjucation and new I still wuz.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Just heard a report on the local radio about the drought....both the announcer and one of the interviewees referred to OK as a "Great Plains" state or "Southern Plains" state. Granted, they were interviewing farmers in Southwestern OK, but still...
That seems to be a more accurate representation of Oklahoma.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:30 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that Tulsa doesn't have a Midwest influence because I believe it does. And you're right.. people are going to say what they want about whatever. But when I think of the Southwest, Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas (El Paso) comes to mind. There is Oklahoma's panhandle that can be labeled as Southwestern but there is a small population that lives there. What makes Oklahoma an overall southwestern state?
Are you Texas Reb in disguise? First, this idea that the Southwest is defined by Arizona, and New Mexico is a misnomer.

The southwest can be divided into the "desert southwest" and the "semi arid southwest". Much like the plains can be denoted by the northern and southern plains.

The "semi arid southwest" has a lot of southern cultural component to it is completely different from the south in many ways. Ranching/cowboy culture. Climate, terrain, etc, economics. irrigation etc. Obviously it isn't the desert southwest either but it is a transition zone from the south to the desert southwest.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:02 PM

181 posts, read 305,681 times
It looks like I ruffled some feathers. It wasn't my intent at all. Although, it's sad that you're so easily offended. We're just having a conversation. I don't care if you agree with me. We are on this forum to share opinions, even though you insist that they are "facts."

If I told you that you're right about everything, would that make you feel better?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:05 PM

181 posts, read 305,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Are you Texas Reb in disguise? First, this idea that the Southwest is defined by Arizona, and New Mexico is a misnomer.

The southwest can be divided into the "desert southwest" and the "semi arid southwest". Much like the plains can be denoted by the northern and southern plains.

The "semi arid southwest" has a lot of southern cultural component to it is completely different from the south in many ways. Ranching/cowboy culture. Climate, terrain, etc, economics. irrigation etc. Obviously it isn't the desert southwest either but it is a transition zone from the south to the desert southwest.
Interesting perspective! Perhaps, you can tell me which states or areas that you believe to be Desert Southwest and Semi-Arid Southwest.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 PM

17,792 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Interesting perspective! Perhaps, you can tell me which states or areas that you believe to be Desert Southwest and Semi-Arid Southwest.
The semi arid southwest would basically consist of Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico to the edge of the mountains. basically west of I-35 to the mountains. In Texas you could maybe roughly transition this area at the Pecos river.

Again, I only prescribe to this definition because Oklahoma and Texas are sometimes described as "southwestern". Obviously if Arizona and New Mexico are the definition of "southwestern" then perhaps only the eastern part of New Mexico would be disqualified from the area along with west Texas and western Oklahoma.

However, the area of western Oklahoma and Texas (and eastern NM) don't exactly fit in what is typically described as "southern" OR "southwestern".

It fits best as the great plains (northern and southern) but if we were going to classify the great plains in the typical model that is argued on C-D, then the northern great plains has to be classified as "midwestern" while the southern great plains has to be classified as "southern" or "southwestern".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma