Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM

374 posts, read 807,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The western part of Oklahoma and Texas could be considered "southwest" if your definition of southwest is semi arid, ranching, cattle, cowboy culture and cotton.

However, if your definition of southwest is true desert, mountains etc. like Arizona and New Mexico then they don't fit except for the trans pecos in Texas.

The eastern parts of both states fit into the "southern" component of things although East Texas is much more true "deep south" southern than is eastern Oklahoma. The western parts of both states are different than the eastern parts. Still influenced by the south culturally, but not truly a part of it in terms of terrain, climate and agriculture.
This doesn't really make any sense other than from a topography standpoint. Western Oklahoma was settled by cotton and peanut farmers primarily from the states of Alabama and Mississippi. Cowboy boots and cowboy hats are a staple across the south.

European settlement in the United States has always followed a east to west pattern and Oklahoma territory was the number 1 destination for southerners escaping reconstruction. The term "country and western" makes little sense considering states west of Oklahoma are almost void of that phenomenon.

Your argument doesn't hold any water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 03:59 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default Not!!!!!!!!!

[b][quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial;36311010[/B
]This doesn't really make any
sense other than from a topography standpoint. Western Oklahoma was settled
by cotton and peanut farmers primarily from the states of Alabama and
Mississippi.

Cowboy boots and cowboy hats are a staple across the south.

European settlement in the United States has always followed a east to west
pattern and Oklahoma territory was the number 1 destination for southerners
escaping reconstruction.
T

he term "country and western" makes little sense considering states west
of Oklahoma are almost void of that phenomenon.

Your argument doesn't hold any water.[/quote]

NOT!!!!!!!!
FARMING

Old 08-31-2014, 10:40 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
I am from Branson Missouri and talk with tourists from Oklahoma EVERY day. I consider Oklahoma to be southern. Not as southern as Arkansas and actually less southern feeling than EXTREME southern missouri as well...but still southern. Many from Tulsa have no traces of southern accents. People here in southern mo probably have thicker southern accents than most in Oklahoma....but I hear lots of southern accents as well. Oklahoma is actually a lot like Missouri. There are very southern feeling areas and areas that don't feel as southern. Overall Oklahoma is more southern than missouri...but the parts of Missouri that ARE southern probably feel more like the Deep South than anywhere in Oklahoma.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:52 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
In the overall scheme of things, I suppose having daily conversations with Oklahomans would serve as a basis for a standard for knowing the geographical designation of Oklahoma as opposed to Missouri. Oh, wait, is that what this thread is about?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
In the overall scheme of things, I suppose having daily conversations with Oklahomans would serve as a basis for a standard for knowing the geographical designation of Oklahoma as opposed to Missouri. Oh, wait, is that what this thread is about?
I was simply starting my opinion on the cultural and liguistic profile of a typical oklahoman. I have been to Oklahoma too many times to count as well, and my brother lives in oklahoma. If all you are interested in is the geographical designation of Oklahoma....then this thread is pointless. Just go by what the census bureau says. There are MANY factors that determine the southernness...or lack of southernness in an area. Politics, accent, cuisine, geography ect....Thanks for being so friendly and have a good day.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I was simply starting my opinion on the cultural and liguistic profile of a typical oklahoman. I have been to Oklahoma too many times to count as well, and my brother lives in oklahoma. If all you are interested in is the geographical designation of Oklahoma....then this thread is pointless. Just go by what the census bureau says. There are MANY factors that determine the southernness...or lack of southernness in an area. Politics, accent, cuisine, geography ect....Thanks for being so friendly and have a good day.
I did not mean for my post to be unfriendly. It was tongue-in-cheek, yes, but not unfriendly. Some insist Oklahoma is located in the south; others that it is midwest or southwest. Yes, I think it is about the geographical designation. At least that's how I've perceived it and on which I've based my opinion. I agree with your words the thread is pointless. Some have described small areas as fitting a certain profile, another area being different and so on... Oklahoma is a potpourri which fits in with many other states. That's why I think it's funny for anyone to be so determined it fits only one locale and I'm not talking about your post.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Rubi is actually a pretty nice person. If Rubi came across as rude it also may because because the Oklahoma, and it's sub thread have been taken over by a poster who will not entertain anyone else's point of view, and hurls insults and personal attracts if anyone doesn't agree with their very narrow point of view.

Rubi has a wicked since of humor, and those of us who know her know she was just having fun with you, and not making fun at you.

Someone needs to stick a fork in this thread, it's way over done!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:42 PM

I can understand that This tread is wearing on some of you...same thing with the southern/Midwestern threads in the Missouri forum! I'm sure rubi is a nice person just hard to read someone on an online forum I enjoy talking about subjects like this! So interesting to hear varying opinions!

Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
I also enjoy hearing varying opinions, I can honestly say I learn something new every day and I am proud of that. Just like you I feel like Oklahoma is a mix of different cultures. I once compared Oklahoma to quilt. I was personally attacked told I was uninformed and ignorant.

Know what you mean about Missouri, the Southern part seems more southern than even Oklahoma.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default We Are One Group Of Confused Citizens

Now are we talking about what Oklahoma is by way of it's culture and personality , or what the U.S.C.B.
says that it is. I worked for the U.S.C.B. both in 1990 in Oklahoma and 2000 in California and it's a
Political Hack......

The Southern Culture in Oklahoma urban districts will most likely be gone for good by 2030
to 2040 anyway as OKC and Tulsa to a lesser degree becomes less and less steeped in the traditions
of Conservatism in theirs natural progression to being more progressive cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma