Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,937,511 times

Advertisements

Go to Oklahoma State Questions 2010 for the full language. The following is a summary/my perspective. I am refraining from editorializing because I would like you to make your own determination.

SQ 744
This question would add an amendment to the State Constitution that requires that the Legislature fund the state's public schools to at the least the per-pupil average of neighboring states.

SQ 746
Also known as the Oklahoma Voter Identification Measure, would require a voter to produce proof of identity when they are voting.

SQ 747
This measure would add an amendment to the State Constitution that would require term limits for the governor, lieutenant governor, state auditor, attorney general, state treasurer, labor commissioner, state schools superintendent, and insurance commissioner. This amendment would set 8-year lifetime term limits for these offices. Currently, the governor, for instance, cannot serve more than 8 consecutive years but can seek re-election after a 4-year gap.

SQ 748
Known as the Oklahoma Reapportionment Commission Measure, this measure proposes a constitutional amendment to reform this particular commission.

Currently, the commission is comprised of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Attorney General, and the State Treasurer. The measure would set it up where the commission is comprised of 3 Democrats and 3 Republicans, appointed by the Governor, the Speaker of the House, and the President Pro Tem of the Senate.

This commission is basically responsible for drawing new legislative district lines.

SQ 750
Another proposed constitutional amendment. This one would lower the percentage of signatures required to propose a constitutional amendment from 15% to 10%.

SQ 751
This measure to approve an amendment to the State Constitution would simply make English the official language of the State of Oklahoma.

SQ 752
Referred to as The Judicial Nominating Commission Act.

This would add 2 members to the Judicial Nomination Commission.

What this commission does is choose people to nominate for judge is there is a vacancy and sends those names to the Governor. Then the Governor picks someone to fill the vacancy out of those three. Currently, there are 13 members on the commission.

SQ 754
This is referred to as the No Mandated State Expenditures Act.

From what I have read about this, it states that the State Legislature can't be required to make expenditures for any function of government using a predetermined formula of any kind.

SQ 755
The Oklahoma Sharia Law Amendment.

This proposed constitutional amendment requires our courts rely on federal and state laws when handing down decisions concerning cases and prohibits them from using Sharia law.

SQ 756
Also referred to as the Oklahoma Health Care Freedom Amendment, this proposes an amendment to the State Constitution and would essentially opt out of any federally-mandated health care provision.

SQ 757
This is referred to as the Oklahoma Rainy Day Fund Amendment.

It is a request to increase the amount of money that would go into the state's reservation funds, or "rainy day" funds.

Currently, the amount is 10% and this would increase it to 15%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:37 AM

533 posts, read 1,706,918 times
Another site I noticed that seems pretty good to me:
Oklahoma 2010 ballot measures - Ballotpedia

Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 AM

118 posts, read 289,243 times
Default State Question's ??

You know I look at these question's as everybody else does when I vote and think, these could be better worded so they are better understood, what I would like to know why do they try to "conscrewed" the word's so that you really don't know if a yes vote is for, or agaist the question. Or even if the vote is in perspective of the measure they imply. What is wrong with a little simple english, most Americans only have a high school education.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,378,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin847 View Post
You know I look at these question's as everybody else does when I vote and think, these could be better worded so they are better understood, what I would like to know why do they try to "conscrewed" the word's so that you really don't know if a yes vote is for, or agaist the question. Or even if the vote is in perspective of the measure they imply. What is wrong with a little simple english, most Americans only have a high school education.
I know what you mean, That's the way they always have been, I guess they don't want the people (without a degree in politics) to know what they're voting for or against.

They also never show reasons for votes or who or what these votes will or will not benefit.
They use to send out pamphlets that explained each vote........at least in California they did....and the wording wasn't much different.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,539,490 times
Be sure to vote NO on SQ 754 because once approved, it can't ever be repealed. That should be reason enough to vote no. Also the state legislators thru this question are trying to come across that they are so smart that they don't ever need outside mandates to help guide them on how to govern, so vote NO.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,329,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
Another site I noticed that seems pretty good to me:
Oklahoma 2010 ballot measures - Ballotpedia

This was very helpful for me. I am becoming a much more aware voter. This page should be in all newspapers. Also, take a look at who introduced the bill, it tells why.

Thank you,

Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,487,724 times
Here's how I will vote:

No on 744 first because Oklahoma's cost of living is lower than our surrounding states, so it would be natural for our education spending to be lower; second because it will result in an annual law suit to determine what an apples-to-apples comparison of education spending is, and third because we already spend 2/3 of our states budget on education and we can't really afford to spend more right now.

Yes on 746 because it seems like a reasonable way to prevent election fraud.

No on 747 because we need expertise, and not to be ran by amateurs. (But this is a close call for me.)

Probably yes on 748. The current redistricting is done with an eye to keep incumbents in place by making all republican district more republican and democratic districts more democratic.

Undecided on 750. Not sure if I want the constitution changed as much as it is already.

Big Yes on 751. ENGLISH IS OKLAHOMA'S OFFICIAL LANGUAGE. We need one common language to unite us. For example, drivers license test must be in English because road signs are in English.

Yes on 752 - Judicial nominations are really messed up in Oklahoma, although this doesn't help it much. Ostensible, judges are supposed to be elected. But in reality, over 70% of the judges get into office the first time by judicial appointment of the "insiders" and then really on the power of incumbency to stay in office.

Not sure on 754. It's only needed if 744 goes into effect, and it's impossible to make a constitutional amendment that is non-repealable.

Yes on 755 - There is also a death penalty angle to this, because some courts have referred to international law when striking down the death penalty.

Not sure on 756.

Yes on 757. When it rains, it pours. You need a reserve if you're gonna have a balanced budget.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM

533 posts, read 1,706,918 times
Right now I am unconvinced that any of the questions should be adopted.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,329,615 times
AFter reading it all, checking both sides (Republican/Dem) opinions this is how I would vote if it were held today. No on the first and yes on the rest. That could change but I am going to vote knowing with more knowledge than ever before. I think of "people" I voted for in the past and I must have been out of my mind. Not this time.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,686,382 times
Too bad they're not voting on banning 3.2% beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: