Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 725 times

Advertisements

Mary Fallin was the speaker at my high School Graduation (Dove Science Academy 2009) where more then 75% were lationos and I feel ashamed that she would come to my graduation and speak about how important education is and support or goal of preserverance, and now turns around and does not support the dream act. To me this says alot about her shes a fake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
I voted for Askins. It only took me a couple seconds after a visit to Fallin's site to learn that she's far too concerned about her own religion to run a state in which, though most, but not everybody is a totally fabulous God-loving Christian. "God has become unimportant, and that concerns me." is a summary of one of her stances.

That, and listening to both her and Askins talk, Askins is more fit to run the state.

And personally, Askins would be far more friendly in terms of policy that deals with LGBT people. Fallin is obviously the type that would try to opt Oklahoma out of the Matthew Shephard Act. She voted against it!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
In this day and age, for major players in a political party to call the oppositions female candidate for governor, "mattress Mary" is just shameful, really.

Be that as it may, the National Democratic party is killing the ODP. Democrats here are largely conservative, but they are easy to stereo-type as a San Fransico liberal.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Askins stand on immigration was enough for me not to vote for her, but honestly, she could have been running against Ronald McDonald, and I wouldn't have voted for her, simply because she had the D beside her name. First time in my life I've voted a straight party ballot.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Well, with the Republicans totally in charge, expect a lot of austerity in Oklahoma government, if Republicans are sincere in their desire to reduce government spending and cut taxes. At least one Republican state rep., David Dank, said on TV that he thinks every state agency needs a machete taken after it to reduce spending.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
Never been over the moon over Askins. Still I voted for Askins with the knowledge that she was probably going to lose. Considering the fact that some polls had Fallin winning by 20+ points she actually held her own.

Don't expect a lot of austerity from our government. This is the same group of clowns that spent a month debating an abortion bill but spent 3 days "fixing" a $1 billion+ deficit. Brad Henry's veto pen was the only thing standing in the way of our state from becoming an experiment for rigid social conservatism. Now that we have a GOP governor, almost all GOP executive branch, and a near supermajority of GOP in the state house, I expect a lot of obsession over social wedge issues. On the flip side, if you are a lawyer or have legal experience, I strongly suggest you start applying for jobs at the Attorney General's office. They are going to need a lot of help when that have to start defending some of the dribble I expect will get passed

Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
There will be tort reform, workers comp reform, a reduction in the number of prisoners housed, and more state level attacks on illegal immigration.

What needs to happen, but won't, is a performance audit of the Board of Regents. While every other level of government is cutting back, the unaccountable Board of Regents is spending money like it's going out of style.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Never been over the moon over Askins. Still I voted for Askins with the knowledge that she was probably going to lose. Considering the fact that some polls had Fallin winning by 20+ points she actually held her own.

Don't expect a lot of austerity from our government. This is the same group of clowns that spent a month debating an abortion bill but spent 3 days "fixing" a $1 billion+ deficit. Brad Henry's veto pen was the only thing standing in the way of our state from becoming an experiment for rigid social conservatism. Now that we have a GOP governor, almost all GOP executive branch, and a near supermajority of GOP in the state house, I expect a lot of obsession over social wedge issues. On the flip side, if you are a lawyer or have legal experience, I strongly suggest you start applying for jobs at the Attorney General's office. They are going to need a lot of help when that have to start defending some of the dribble I expect will get passed
And several of those Republican authored state questions passed are being sued against, so that's yet more tax money going now the drain to fight that. When it's all over, how many million$ will it cost taxpayers? So much for Mary's Fallin's campaign talk of standing for reduced government spending.

I bet most of those state questions were in large part motivated to get conservative type people out to vote and while they were at it vote for Mary Fallin and so on for the Republicans on down the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma