Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by labella4homes View Post
My husband and I are also relocating to Altus in May and are curious where I might find work. He is Air Force and we are gathering that Lawton is the nearest location for gainful employment. Is there a town half-way between Altus and Lawton to "split" the commute for both of us? Just wondering and thanks for any help you can give us.
Yeah, just Snyder, pop. 1373. Otherwise it's just desolate, but pretty countryside between Altus and Lawton with scattered mesquite trees growing about, assuming they're surviving the drought. The unemployment rate in Altus is only around 5%, so it might not be too hard to find a job. Anyway, for such a very remote town in Oklahoma, Altus isn't real bad. The economy there seems in the dumps. For some excitement, they need to strike oil there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 02:27 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labella4homes View Post
My husband and I are also relocating to Altus in May and are curious where I might find work. He is Air Force and we are gathering that Lawton is the nearest location for gainful employment. Is there a town half-way between Altus and Lawton to "split" the commute for both of us? Just wondering and thanks for any help you can give us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, just Snyder, pop. 1373. Otherwise it's just desolate, but pretty countryside between Altus and Lawton with scattered mesquite trees growing about, assuming they're surviving the drought. The unemployment rate in Altus is only around 5%, so it might not be too hard to find a job. Anyway, for such a very remote town in Oklahoma, Altus isn't real bad. The economy there seems in the dumps. For some excitement, they need to strike oil there.
Altus surprisingly made the Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedlist of best places in Oklahoma to live, tied with Stillwater, mostly because of the easy commute. I won't address that survey, it seemed erroneous and biased toward Norman and Jenks and came from realtors. Altus DOES have a very nice downtown square, a handful of national chains but no real shopping outside of WalMart. The base has the smallest BX I have ever seen.

A tad further east is Cache, where I live (outside of Cache, but a 73527 zip). A few years back a neighbor nearby was a major who flew as an instructor at Altus and his wife worked in Lawton. The commute isn't too terribly bad, it's about 35 minutes from US 62 and OK 115 to Altus' south gate. Of concern is when the roads are lousy, which happened too many times this winter. Cache schools are renowned for their quality, and it's 15 minutes to just about anywhere in Lawton.

Snyder isn't much to see, their downtown burned down a couple months ago. It was even back in the news two days ago. It IS halfway but there isn't much of anything there, no infrastructure, not many rentals.

Last edited by Yac; 04-16-2014 at 05:48 AM..

Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Altus surprisingly made theModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedlist of best places in Oklahoma to live, tied with Stillwater, mostly because of the easy commute. I won't address that survey, it seemed erroneous and biased toward Norman and Jenks and came from realtors. Altus DOES have a very nice downtown square, a handful of national chains but no real shopping outside of WalMart. The base has the smallest BX I have ever seen.

A tad further east is Cache, where I live (outside of Cache, but a 73527 zip). A few years back a neighbor nearby was a major who flew as an instructor at Altus and his wife worked in Lawton. The commute isn't too terribly bad, it's about 35 minutes from US 62 and OK 115 to Altus' south gate. Of concern is when the roads are lousy, which happened too many times this winter. Cache schools are renowned for their quality, and it's 15 minutes to just about anywhere in Lawton.

Snyder isn't much to see, their downtown burned down a couple months ago. It was even back in the news two days ago. It IS halfway but there isn't much of anything there, no infrastructure, not many rentals.
Yep. I wish all of our great little towns had the money to restore theirs too.

Last edited by Yac; 04-16-2014 at 05:45 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,718 times
I grew up in the Altus area, met an AF man and we've been gone 14 years. My family still lives in the area. Altus is boring. They are not very accepting of military. There is a hospital and clinic on Broadway that is a big employer, the base (with no real hospital), BarS factory and lots of car dealerships. It is extremely hot in the summer and frequent drought. Lawton has a lot more employment. Unfortunately there are only extremely small podunk towns in-between. Lake areas are the only outdoorsy type things to do since there are little to now trees or hills or anything in-between the lakes. The lakes themselves have been drying up. We saw so many AF couples divorce while living there. Please take care of yourselves and your marriage. Being involved in their churches there are a main staple of locals.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:53 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
If this drought continues, Altus will be a ghost town in 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma