U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 22,232 times

Advertisements

I have recently been assigned Altus AFB and will be moving there in the spring. Browsing the internet, I haven't been able to find too much information about the town. I know that it is a small town of about 20k people with a Sears, Walmart, JCPenney, and a few local watering holes.

Can anyone provide a good snapshot of life in Altus? What do people in Altus do for a good time? I am 27 and married. My wife and I are pretty outdoorsy (enjoy hiking, camping, and climbing).

Also, any ideas on where to live in or around Altus? We would prefer renting a detached home, but are not averse to an apartment or townhouse.

Finally, what professional opportunities exist in or around Altus? My wife is finishing her MSW this spring and is very, uh, *curious* about what options exist in the area.

I know I've thrown a lot of questions out, but any information is greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 11,141 times
I live in Altus Oklahoma so I can give you some info. You said that you did a search on the internet so you have probably found this [url=http://www.cityofaltus.org/]City of Altus, Oklahoma[/url] but I sent it just in case.

We have a reservoir in town and it isn't too far to the lake where you can swim boat fish camp hike and climb. Overall there isn't very much to do here I'm sorry to say. I know there is a bowling alley on base as well as one in town. Several of the bars have karaoke and live bands. Scooters is where most people go for dancing. They play a mix of country and hip hop. I know lots of people from the base go there.

Not sure about the opportunities for you wife though. Don't know rather than the lack of or not.

I will be glad to answer any question that I can. My email is [email]kimey36ok66@yahoo.com[/email] if you want to write me there.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:46 PM

259 posts, read 977,314 times
I have a friend who lives in Altus and complains a lot about it being boring. She does most of her shopping in Lawton or Wichita Falls Tx.
There are a lot of "outdoorsy" opportunities in that part of the state though.
Here's some links of spots to visit:

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge & Visitor's Center | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Quartz Mountain Resort
Oklahoma Resorts | Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center Lone Wolf Oklahoma
Lake Altus
Lake Altus-Lugert | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Tom Steed Lake
Tom Steed Lake | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Great Plains State Park | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Lake Elmer Thomas
Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area (LETRA) | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Black Kettle National Grassland
Cibola National Forest - Welcome!

A little further away, but an easy day trip
Lake Murray
Lake Murray | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
Chickasaw National Rec
Chickasaw National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)
Wa****a River- canoeing/kayaking
Wa****a River | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

Old 11-23-2010, 03:40 PM

16,972 posts, read 13,989,176 times
Downtown Altus has a good Mexican and Pizza combo restaurant. It's been around for years. I forgot the name of it.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 22,232 times
Thank you all very much for all the information you provided. Like I suspected, you confirmed that it is a good thing that we are outdoorsy people, since there won't be much in the way of nightlife/museums/etc. I really appreciate the information you all provided.

For those of you that live in Altus or have family and/or friends in Altus, can you recommend a nice neighborhood to live in? We are looking for a 3br/2ba single family home if possible.

Also, are there any towns between Lawton and Altus that would be a nice place to live? I have a sneaking suspicion that my wife will have to go to Lawton to find suitable employment.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 AM

13,387 posts, read 17,038,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimey36ok66 View Post
Quote:
I live in Altus Oklahoma
so I can give you some info. You said that you did a search on the internet so you have probably found this City of Altus, Oklahoma but I sent it just in case.

We have a reservoir in town and it isn't too far to the lake where you can swim boat fish camp hike and climb. Overall there isn't very much to do here I'm sorry to say. I know there is a bowling alley on base as well as one in town. Several of the bars have karaoke and live bands. Scooters is where most people go for dancing. They play a mix of country and hip hop. I know lots of people from the base go there.

Not sure about the opportunities for you wife though. Don't know rather than the lack of or not.

I will be glad to answer any question that I can.
Quote:
My email is kimey36ok66@yahoo.com if you want to write me there.
Makin' passes on your first post..huh?
And to a married Vetran at that..

Old 12-02-2010, 05:08 PM

46 posts, read 146,559 times
Welcome to Altus! I was born and raised(for the most part) in Altus. Dad was Air Force so after i was born in 84 we went to McGuire AFB and Lackand AFB with frequent visits to Altus. My family returned to Altus in 92 where I lived until I graduated AHS in 2002 and left for college in 'The City'. I still have my grandparents, 2 aunts, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 cousins still living there. That's enough about me and my boring family, Let's Talk about A-Town!

Let's see I'll try to answer all of your questions in as little space as possible.
"Snapshot of Life?": Have you ever seen the movie Dazed and Confused? If you haven't seen it, watch it. It's your typical 'everybody knows everbody' towns. Everytime I see that movie I'm reminded of Altus from all perspectives, from my good times back in High School(the drag, barn parties, football games, crazy summers, cliff diving) to the people who never left the town after high school(no offense). It's almost exactly how I left it everytime I go home to visit. From the busted up old buildings around town to the exact same people working in various places all over town. Is Sue Citty still working at Midfirst?

Someone mentioned above that it's good that you're 27 and married and are outdoorsy, because welp, I wouldnt want to be 27 single male who enjoys nightlife living in Altus! Speaking of outdoorsy, Lake Altus will give you all you need for that. From the lodges, the mountains, to the lake itself. always a good time up there. I think it's only 22 miles away.

I lived all over Town when I was there.We would moved all the time to cure the "military move itch" since we weren't Active duty dependent anymore we were more or less stuck in a-town for various other reasons. I lived on the far west side, in the southeast corner(next to the junior high school), in Star Addition(southside) and finally in Heritage Estates(or well, south of Heritage Estates on Ranch Rd).

So where to live? Depending on how much cash you have to spend you can find anything there(unlike some small AF towns where it's almost all midlle class and lower). there is the housing between Wal-Mart and the Resevoir is all pretty nice, English Village east of the High school is your best bet, Heritage estates and the areas surrounding it is nice but there isn't much rental there, and birdland(area south of WOSC, most of the streets are named after birds). too many details about all those to list here. Also there is one good apt complex on Veterans Bypass just west of the base. a lot of military live there.

Oh crap I've made another long post, I'll finish up. I'm assuming MSW is Masters in Social Working? If so, One of my aunts I talked about earlier is a Social worker in Altus. Might be able to hook your spouce up with a gig there. Anyways, As much as I complained about it when I lived there, and wanted to get outa there, It's my ol' stompin ground so every once-in-a-while I miss it. Wanna know more just ask me on here!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 10,737 times
I lived in Altus for 45 years before getting married and moving away. You heard all about the Lake north of town (about 20 miles). Lots of things to do up there. The town of Mangum isn't far from there, and they have a rattlesnake derby once a year (coming up this spring, and it's always interesting). Lawton is about an Hour East, but there's a wildlife refuge there that's great to visit. The Museum of the Western Prairie in Altus will get you up to speed on the local history. As far as job opportunities, just depends on what you're after. I would still be there if marriage hadn't taken me to Texas.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,989 times
My husband and I are also relocating to Altus in May and are curious where I might find work. He is Air Force and we are gathering that Lawton is the nearest location for gainful employment. Is there a town half-way between Altus and Lawton to "split" the commute for both of us? Just wondering and thanks for any help you can give us.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,823 times
Default Moving to Altus!!!

I'm still not sure how I feel about moving to Altus in Aug. 14. My wife and I love the outdoors so I'm sure boredom won't be a problem... but I did hear that deployment rates are super high and consistent every year for Altus, AFB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or