U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM

12,282 posts, read 12,106,030 times

Advertisements

Can you?

AP News | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MOUNTAIN_FUNERAL_PYRE?SITE=MOCOD&SECTION=HOME&T EMPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,917,782 times
The only place I saw were it was preformed in the US is in Crestone, Colorado. If you know different let us know.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM

8,262 posts, read 17,458,273 times
Seems like I read somewhere that funeral pyres are allowed on reservations as long as proper paperwork is filed with the State.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 AM

7 posts, read 12,982 times
I want to go out like Belinda surely!

"Belinda's relatives described her as a giving and stubborn person who loved motorcycles, the outdoors, and smoking pot. Amid the scent of juniper and burning wood was a smell of marijuana from a bag that someone dropped into the pyre."

Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 AM

3,945 posts, read 5,977,678 times
Do you want to have a Funeral Pyre in Oklahoma, Versatile? As for myself, I could care less what happens to me when I'm no longer alive. I would hate for my family to have to pay the thousands of $$$ that funerals cost. I wonder how much cremations cost. So many people are going that route.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:59 AM

2,700 posts, read 1,408,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Do you want to have a Funeral Pyre in Oklahoma, Versatile? As for myself, I could care less what happens to me when I'm no longer alive. I would hate for my family to have to pay the thousands of $$$ that funerals cost. I wonder how much cremations cost. So many people are going that route.
Donate your body to: The University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
Willed Body Program
Post Office Box 26901
Oklahoma City, OK 73126-0901

That's what my family and I are doing.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM

6,150 posts, read 11,798,591 times
Quote:
They've actually started "Green Funerals" here in Ohio finally. Your coffin is bio-degradable material, you can be buried in a shrowd and placed in mother earth, or cremation and no concrete vaults, metal coffins or embalming is allowed. One plot two people, one can be buried but the other must be cremated, or both cremated. A tree of your choice from this region is planted over you and they don't mow the grounds (except for the funeral only), a marker is placed where you are so love ones may find your plot. I like the idea, nateral the way it should be.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Going out in a big bonfire etc seems so natural to me.Actually would rather just be laid out along a hedgerow and let the critters do their job seems better and more natural. Although a big fire made of hedge(osage orange) would be just fine.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM

6,150 posts, read 11,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Going out in a big bonfire etc seems so natural to me.Actually would rather just be laid out along a hedgerow and let the critters do their job seems better and more natural. Although a big fire made of hedge(osage orange) would be just fine.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust . I see no need in a big steel box or and a cript, it's a waste of money and fire purifies everything. Besides, the body it only a temperary carrying case for a soul.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
Donate your body to: The University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
Willed Body Program
Post Office Box 26901
Oklahoma City, OK 73126-0901

That's what my family and I are doing.

Pieces are pieces and parts are parts. I don't want anyone cutting me up into pieces and parts. I have read that there is actually a profit stream on donated human body parts. Might sound selfish to you but i have had many major surgeries to never even get close to having a normal body and i don't want to give up anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma