Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM

75 posts, read 220,023 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from one of those nasty really cold and over-regulated bankrupt states. Utterly love the natural beauty of this state, utterly love the friendly down-to-earth people, the helpfullness and spirituality, and am utterly appauled by the litter, litter everywhere. Bought a dream home on Grand Lake, the beauty of the lake and mountain/hills surrounding the lake is marred/scarred by litter. How many McD cups, diapers, water bottles, baby pacifiers and plastic bags are floating on the lake only to be deposited on the shorelines.

And the road litter, WOW.

We finally got a chance to go to Spavinaw and to the WMA land near there. Beauty of the woods and hills and streams was so marred by the litter, u - g - l - y! Beer cans, bottles, cig butts along with the afore mentioned junk. Hasn't anybody around here heard "If you carry it in, you carry it out!" How can anyone just disregard/disrespect the enviornment like that? Specially so being an established Indian Nation!

Indian tradition highly respected Mother Earth, not taking more than you need, respecting all creatures. What happened to that respect? We need another Indian uprising to stop this marring/scarring destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM

81 posts, read 254,969 times
Throwing the trash out the car window is an inherited trait to life long Okies.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Yep. I noticed it right away when I moved here. I've witnessed on more than one occasion people throwing their fast food trash out of their window while ordering more fast food. What kind of ****head thinks that is OK? It pisses me off big time.

There are tons of great people in Oklahoma but there is also alot of really bad people as well.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
I travel all over the country. Just got back from a 3 week trip in Anderson, IN. Oklahoma has some of the worst litter I have ever seen. I was born and raised in McIntosh County and about the only time litter gets cleaned up down there is when we have a grass fire.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM

81 posts, read 254,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I travel all over the country. Just got back from a 3 week trip in Anderson, IN. Oklahoma has some of the worst litter I have ever seen. I was born and raised in McIntosh County and about the only time litter gets cleaned up down there is when we have a grass fire.
During trips to Iowa and Minnesota I never saw hardly any of the mess like we see here.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM

75 posts, read 220,023 times
Default it's shocking

Quote:
I totally agree, the only worse state I've been in is Texas! Here it is just McD's etc. Was on Mustang Island camping, Federal camping next to Padre Island, and man, they posted huge signs to beware of the MEDICAL WASTE on the beach. They weren't kidding, hypodermic needles, the red hazard bags from Dr. offices, seems trash it taken off shore in huge ships and just dumped into the ocean in international waters. So much for safely disposing of hazardous waste.

Time to wake up people.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times
Quote:
Why were you in Anderson? lol that is my hometown, and can not see why anyone would spend three week there .

Seriously, Oklahoma has its trash problems, but have any of you ever visited New Jersey?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Why were you in Anderson? lol that is my hometown, and can not see why anyone would spend three week there .

Seriously, Oklahoma has its trash problems, but have any of you ever visited New Jersey?

I was in Anderson for job training. I have been up there several times over the years. Its not the bad of a town but has the saddest mall I have ever seen. Mounds Mall....don't go there...LOL

I lived in New Jersey in 07 and found it to be a very beautiful place. I was living in the northern part in a village called West Milford. I think NJ is a lot like Oklahoma, most who have never been there have a negative image of it. Everyone in NJ thinks Oklahoma is a desert or like the outback.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM

116 posts, read 251,069 times
Quote:
Uve never saw the prisoners picking up the trash? I lived on texanna road and I saw prisoners cleaning the side of the road once a month atleast. But I do agree the state is bad about littering why not start taking action and clean the side of tje highways

Old 02-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator89 View Post
Uve never saw the prisoners picking up the trash? I lived on texanna road and I saw prisoners cleaning the side of the road once a month atleast. But I do agree the state is bad about littering why not start taking action and clean the side of tje highways
Enter onto HY 69 going north bound from the Onapa Exit and you will see a ton of litter. Or take old business HY 69 from Texanna RD to Checotah that area is very trashy. I guess the convicts don't like that area...LOL I am very familiar with the Texanna RD, I had to ride or drive down it most of my life.

I'm pretty active in geocaching (geocaching.com). And I am very passionate about CITO (Cache In Trash Out) I carry plastic bags and feed sacks in the tool box of my pickup. When I'm out looking for caches I pick up trash. I separate aluminum, paper and plastic and recycle.

We have a small park in my neighborhood I have been picking it up for years and I carry a bag with me when I am out walking my dog and pick up litter along the way. I have never found anything of value while picking up trash. I hope some day to pick up a winning loto ticket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma