U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 PM

674 posts, read 1,467,110 times

Advertisements

As the third largest metro in the state, I don't see much discussion about it on this forum. How are things there as far as growth, crime and all that good stuff? I lived there in the early 90's and thought it a nice place to live. Has it changed a lot since then?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM

When I lived there it was out by the airport. People used to say that wasn't a good part of town because a lot of the low income apartment complexes were out there but when I lived there 1993-1994 I never had any trouble. Anyway, what's it like now?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM

533 posts, read 1,639,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
As the third largest metro in the state, I don't see much discussion about it on this forum. How are things there as far as growth, crime and all that good stuff? I lived there in the early 90's and thought it a nice place to live. Has it changed a lot since then?
It is 5th largest now behind Norman and Broken Arrow.

I was stationed at Sill there in the 70s for AIT and housed in the old barracks. Thought they were beautiful then and still do.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 PM

81 posts, read 275,436 times
Well, where to start....lol

The area out by the airport is still not the best area to live due to the low income apartments and housing.

Good news is that the city has cracked down on the junk yards that were also out in that area. Several of them have closed up while others were forced to do a massive clean up of their areas.

Bad news for those looking for those old WWII baracks on Ft. Sill. They had to tear them down due to the cost of keeping them up and running.

Good News is Ft. Sill is growing bigger and bigger.
Ground is being broken every day it seems for new buildings to be built. Most of it is because of the ADA moving from Ft. Bliss to Ft. Sill.

Lawton it self is growing, slowly, but growing. By this time next year, we hope, the area between 2nd street to Railroad St. and Gore to Ferris Blvd will be home to a new Hotel Convention Center and several new Big Box retailers ( Target, Kohls, and Best Buy I think)

Several Hotels have moved in over the last few years and most are full on weekends.

Housing is a boom. Seems like each month a new housing addition is being created.

Good time to live in Lawton if you are in construction.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j67bubba View Post
Well, where to start....lol

The area out by the airport is still not the best area to live due to the low income apartments and housing.

Good news is that the city has cracked down on the junk yards that were also out in that area. Several of them have closed up while others were forced to do a massive clean up of their areas.

Bad news for those looking for those old WWII baracks on Ft. Sill. They had to tear them down due to the cost of keeping them up and running.

Good News is Ft. Sill is growing bigger and bigger.
Ground is being broken every day it seems for new buildings to be built. Most of it is because of the ADA moving from Ft. Bliss to Ft. Sill.

Lawton it self is growing, slowly, but growing. By this time next year, we hope, the area between 2nd street to Railroad St. and Gore to Ferris Blvd will be home to a new Hotel Convention Center and several new Big Box retailers ( Target, Kohls, and Best Buy I think)

Several Hotels have moved in over the last few years and most are full on weekends.

Housing is a boom. Seems like each month a new housing addition is being created.

Good time to live in Lawton if you are in construction.
Wow! That's good. Is Lee Blvd still one of the busiest streets in town? What is the hottest growth spot in town now? Thanks for the response.

Last edited by Darbro; 02-25-2011 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: forgot to add to post

Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
It is 5th largest now behind Norman and Broken Arrow.

I was stationed at Sill there in the 70s for AIT and housed in the old barracks. Thought they were beautiful then and still do.
5th largest city maybe, but not metro. Norman is part of the Oklahoma City metro and Broken Arrow is part of Tulsa's.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 AM

The busy streets in Lawton is Cache Rd and Sheridan Rd.

Over the last few years Lawton has widened several streets, 38th street from Cache Rd to Rogers Lane, 67th Street from Cache Rd to Rogers Lane and 82nd from Lee Blvd to Rogers Lane.

38th Street is about to be widened from Cashe Rd to Gore Blvd, something that has needed to be done for a really long time.

All areas of Lawton is booming.
Over the last two - three years all types of hotel chains have moved into to Lawton.

The city leaders are trying to make the downtown area a place that people want to go, that is why they are building the Hotel convention center and more is planed for the areas around the Mall.

Down the road plans are for a sports areana to be built so an indoor football and or minor League hockey team can come to town.
We already havea minor league basketball team here, the Lawton/Ft. Sill Cavalry. They play in the Preimer Basketball League and are the defending 2 time champions and are currently 12-1 this year.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 PM

That's great! Glad to hear Lawton is doing so well. What's the name of the newspaper? When I was living there I was in the 8th grade and went to Central. I loved that school. Is it still a nice school?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM

The paper for Lawton is the Lawton Constitution. They do have a website but it has very limited infomation on it because they want you to buy a subscription to see all the content, a rip off if you ask me.
They now charge 75 cents for their version of a daily paper and $1.75 for their Sunday paper. That is the only one I get.

Central Jr. High is still around, although it is now in a new building on corner of Cache Road and Ft. Sill Blvd., just north of Lawton High School.
The building Central was in is now the new City Hall, after about a year or two of remodeling.

Since you lived here, Walmart opend a second store on the corner of 67th and Quanna Parker hwy.

Waynes Drive Inn opened a 2nd location out on 67th and Old Cache Rd.

Toyota moved out on Quanna Parker Hwy infront of the Roller Skating rink.
The Roller Skating Rink is now a Korean Church.

Ford moved out on Quanna Paker Hwy and 82nd. and the First Assembly of God Church is now a huge complex after recent additions to it.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Wow! That's great. What is the best area of town now? At one time I heard talk of making Rogers Lane/Hwy 62 an expressway. Have they done/moved forward with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma