Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 PM

9,889 posts, read 10,820,807 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear , about Oklahoma, we have been looking at moving south for a while now, have mainly been focused on Texas and Alabama. I have been doing a little research on OK lately then lo and behold my wife has been reading a book from a Gal that lives in Ok & now is ready to come check it out. I am interested in any info about the state, we are in Western Wash and despise the weather and politics up here, some of our interests are.....First there is the obvious, we want to be where the economy is good for employment and business relocation ,yet homes are still relatively affordable. Would like to stay out of the threat of tornadoes,"is that possible in Ok". Do not want to be in a big city, or deal with heavy traffic. Things that are important to us: Very good schools, private,Christian, Military. Very good Football program. Water skiing. Horses. We are very family oriented. Acreage. Things that are not that important to us: diversity, night life, cultural sort of things. My experience with Oklahoma has been limited to driving across 40 at night. Appreciate any input thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
A good start would be reading some of the threads already posted which discuss life in Oklahoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Things that are not that important to us: diversity, night life, cultural sort of things.
If you don't value cultural sort of things, then should we list diversity and cultural sort of things as "bad" or "ugly"?

Culture covers a lot of territory.

Unfortunately, (if you see it that way) we have a lot of cultural events, and those reflect our diversity. From music from country to classical to blue grass, pow wows, rodeos, we have it.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 PM

174 posts, read 450,295 times
Quote:
I would like to hear , about Oklahoma, we have been looking at moving south for a while now, have mainly been focused on Texas and Alabama. I have been doing a little research on OK lately then lo and behold my wife has been reading a book from a Gal that lives in Ok & now is ready to come check it out. I am interested in any info about the state, we are in Western Wash and despise the weather and politics up here, some of our interests are.....First there is the obvious, we want to be where the economy is good for employment and business relocation ,yet homes are still relatively affordable. Would like to stay out of the threat of tornadoes,"is that possible in Ok". Do not want to be in a big city, or deal with heavy traffic. Things that are important to us: Very good schools, private,Christian, Military. Very good Football program. Water skiing. Horses. We are very family oriented. Acreage. Things that are not that important to us: diversity, night life, cultural sort of things. My experience with Oklahoma has been limited to driving across 40 at night. Appreciate any input thanks.
Well, the economy is good but you may have to live close to Oklahoma City or Tulsa. I don't know what business you're in so it's hard to speak to that point. There are wonderul suburbs that ring both OKC and Tulsa. There is a wealth of information out there including threads on this forum that speak to individual towns and regions.

I really can't speak to schools as I've no children. You have just entered football heaven though. The major team is OU though I kinda follow OSU. Lakes are plentiful in OK as well as all outdoor activity including horseback riding and raising horses on acreage. For my money there is no better place to raise your family. I think you'll find what you're looking for.

I suggest a road trip this summer for you and your family. Speak to people and try to line up interviews for jobs. Speak with your family and pray over the matter.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Good post, ERISA.

I think newbs should just remember, this is Oklahoma, it's not TX, AL, or WA. And for the most part, the people in the small towns and rural areas, love it for what it is, and not what it could be or should be.

We accept the lack of amenities in trade for the lack of squalor and noise, pollution, and high density populations that other areas have.

I also believe to some degree some people are happy where ever they land, and others will carry their unhappiness with them where ever they go.

We have a doctor from FL who said she never thought OK was a place for African Americans, and I told her Wewoka is probably the most diverse place, because it is almost 1/3 AA, Native American, and white.

If I had to say the bad, it is I do miss the ocean and the forests like northern PNW or redwoods of coastal California. But personally, I have cultural ties and roots in Oklahoma which make it home for me.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,979,592 times
Quote:
............Things that are important to us: Very good schools, private,Christian, Military.
Not sure there are any very good private Christian military schools around. We do have a few good schools around, we do have private schools around, but I can't think of any military schools anywhere. Oklahoma Military Academy went defunct a long time ago and is now Rogers State University.

Quote:
.......Very good Football program.
If you are from Washington, you will find our junior college football programs as good as any you have in Washington. But if you want good football, Northeastern and Northwestern both have good teams. Then if you want great football we have OU and OSU.

Quote:
.......Water skiing Horses.
We have a lot of horses in this part of the country, but never seen one water ski. OTOH, we are ranked #4 for the total number of horses in the country, and #1 in horses per capita.

Quote:
.......Acreage.
Yep, we have acreages

Quote:
.......My experience with Oklahoma has been limited to driving across 40 at night. .....
You've probably seen the best of it.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
We have a lot of horses in this part of the country, but never seen one water ski. OTOH, we are ranked #4 for the total number of horses in the country, and #1 in horses per capita.
Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n4zULZf8Vw

I was going to say for the good see Howest or BigOkie, Bass n Catfish, etc,

for the Bad, see Raelynn, and a few others who shall not be named...

and for the ugly, well,
Wiiiiiilllllll-burrrrrrr!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,497 times
I've lived in both Eastern and Western WA. I absolutely loved living in Seattle. Love the climate, the mountains, the people, and the diversity. Everytime I return for a visit the people are open, accepting and friendly to me.

Having read a few of your posts, I think Alabama might be a better fit. If you're set on moving to Oklahoma, I suggest the panhandle.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
A good start would be reading some of the threads already posted which discuss life in Oklahoma.

If you don't value cultural sort of things, then should we list diversity and cultural sort of things as "bad" or "ugly"?

Culture covers a lot of territory.

Unfortunately, (if you see it that way) we have a lot of cultural events, and those reflect our diversity. From music from country to classical to blue grass, pow wows, rodeos, we have it.
Seems you took offense to that part of my post, some might post the opposite, where they were looking for a place that has a lot of diversity and different culture is important to them ....would that have bothered you as well? I am not making a judgment on that so no I don't consider it bad , it just is not the most important thing to our family.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERISAjunkie View Post
Well, the economy is good but you may have to live close to Oklahoma City or Tulsa. I don't know what business you're in so it's hard to speak to that point. There are wonderul suburbs that ring both OKC and Tulsa. There is a wealth of information out there including threads on this forum that speak to individual towns and regions.

I really can't speak to schools as I've no children. You have just entered football heaven though. The major team is OU though I kinda follow OSU. Lakes are plentiful in OK as well as all outdoor activity including horseback riding and raising horses on acreage. For my money there is no better place to raise your family. I think you'll find what you're looking for.

I suggest a road trip this summer for you and your family. Speak to people and try to line up interviews for jobs. Speak with your family and pray over the matter.
Thanks for the info, I have already been planning a trip, just wanted to get a feel for places that some absolutely love or hate.....for example, if you talk to people in Tennessee they will tell you Memphis is not somewhere you want to move to.....etc thanks again.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Seems you took offense to that part of my post, ...
LOL. Not at all. I just know Oklahoma has a lot diversity, racially and geologically. It is not 85% -90% white only, like a lot of other places due to the Native population.

Also, the way the OP is worded, could be a magnet for those who LOVE to hate.

The questions you pose has been answered over and over on these threads and very few people take the time to actually go back and read. Instead we get new threads asking the same thing over and over.

Is Oklahoma right for me?

Will my family be happy in Oklahoma?

Are there jobs in Oklahoma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma