U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 AM

3 posts, read 9,082 times

Advertisements

We are looking at relocating to OKC from Frisco TX due to husbands job. I think in reading some posts here we are looking at the Edmond area. We have 2 small children, one attending kindergarten in the fall. We are looking to lease a home or townhome as we need a yard. Can you tell me are there leasing agents or someone that you recommend to help us with this search? We are pretty spoiled here with all the new builds and growth going on. I would like to find a home/area that is similar to Frisco. Gated communities, HOA, family atmosphere, parks, nice new buildings.

Also, do you have splashparks in Edmond? We have some around our areas and it's just a great thing for the kiddos in the summer that is free! I was hoping to find something similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going in blind here and want to make sure we make good decisions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 AM

19 posts, read 49,452 times
I was born and raised in "The Village", in Northwestern area of Oklahoma City. I do know Edmond. It is probably the most expensive suburb of OKC. I'm sure if you google for a reputable leasing agent, you will find quite a few! I think you will like Edmond-the quality of life is very good and the people take pride in their community-you will see that for yourself when you visit!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 AM

4,033 posts, read 9,990,479 times
I live in Edmond, moving here about 5 years ago from a Houston suburb that is quite similar to Frisco. Nice, upscale suburban city. I think it will be what you are looking for, or as close as you're going to get here. There are lots of nice new neighborhoods as well as some very nice established areas (that's what we chose). Some are gated, some not. HOA's are, I believe, common in most. What you will not find a lot of are giant master planned communities, that are common in Texas cities. We have nice neighborhoods, some pretty large, many of the newer ones have green belt areas and playgrounds, some with pools, but none like I've seen in Texas. There's not a lot of townhomes really. There are a few small areas of them scattered around the city, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head would be one neighborhood of them located on the south side of Danforth Rd between Boulevard and Fretz, just across from Edmond North High School. You can look on Google Maps and see it. I cannot remember what they are called, and have never driven through the area, so I can't tell you much. There are also a few neighborhoods of patio homes, which might have rentals, but again I'm no help.

I am not aware of any splashparks. Maybe some of the newer neighborhoods have them, but I've not seen/heard of any. We do have a city owned water park called Pelican Bay. As my kids were already in high school when we moved here, I never had reason to go, but they took a younger relative one summer that was visiting us, and said it was very nice. I have no idea what it costs, or if you can buy a season pass or something.

I cannot help with the leasing agent question, as we have not rented here, other than a corporate apt for a couple of months. We worked with a real estate agent/broker that was recommended by our relo company. He was with Prudential.

I would recommend just driving up here and exploring. It's an easy day trip from Frisco. I can be from my house to my SIL's in Fort Worth in 3 hours. I know lots of people that drive from Edmond to Northpark, shop all day and drive home in the evening.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Thank you for your responses! Great info! We are planning on driving up Monday as his interview is Tuesday am. Hopefully we can drive around Edmond to take a look. Just wanted to get an idea before we come down maybe set up some places to look at.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM

1,789 posts, read 3,967,069 times
My daughter just rented a home near Lake Heufner (sp) Her husband was transferred from Stillwater to OKC. They have a home to sell in Perkins which I imagine will take a little time. ANYWAY, they rented a nice home in that area for about 1100. a month. They have one baby and she is an RN. Working in Cushing but I am sure or pray she'll find another RN at eithe Mercy, Baptist or someplace in the Edmond/OKCity.

Her house she is renting is nice. The neighborhood is very nice and they say the schools will be great. If that helps! The house is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, fenced in yard with landscaping, 2 car garage but about 1500 square feet. To give you an idea of cost is all.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 8,505,254 times
There's a huge splash park off of Earlywine in Moore. It's about a 25 min drive from Edmond.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM

46 posts, read 167,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanefamily View Post
We are looking at relocating to OKC from Frisco TX due to husbands job. I think in reading some posts here we are looking at the Edmond area. We have 2 small children, one attending kindergarten in the fall. We are looking to lease a home or townhome as we need a yard. Can you tell me are there leasing agents or someone that you recommend to help us with this search? We are pretty spoiled here with all the new builds and growth going on. I would like to find a home/area that is similar to Frisco. Gated communities, HOA, family atmosphere, parks, nice new buildings.

Also, do you have splashparks in Edmond? We have some around our areas and it's just a great thing for the kiddos in the summer that is free! I was hoping to find something similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going in blind here and want to make sure we make good decisions.

How much a month do you want to lease for?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

We are looking to pay around $1500. We do like a very new, upgraded home. We went to OKC the other day to look around and we went to parts of Edmond and I can say I wasn't to terribly impressed. Everything seemed so spread out. I think this is going to be harder than I had thought to get used to. I was hoping to find some new areas that are being built out that young families are flocking to. Now my husband is thinking Moore might be better...I am originally from NY and moved to TX about 7 yrs ago and have been used to new builds and a private school for my son. Now with him going to kindergarten so soon I'm starting to panic as to where he will be going to school and finding a nice area that I will be comfortable in.

We did go to Lake Hefner it was nice. It will be nice to have that to run around.

I think we will have to see if he gets the job and then will have to find an agent to help us navigate the home search. It is so overwhelming trying to search on the internet.

Thank you for the help! Taking it one step at a time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma