Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM

40 posts, read 156,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Sounds like your children will be recruited for the school sports teams, if they are interested.
My wife and I decided a few years back to make it mandatory that our kids play at least one sport per year. We do not pressure them into any particular sport so they have the freedom to choose which ever sport. My son seems to love baseball and my daughter loves softball. However, I have a feeling that once the football coaches get a look at my boy, they will be trying to get him to try out. All the coaches here have been trying for years with very little success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarabeth View Post
Hi there, Harry T....I had a lot of kind folks here give me some insights on Lawton....check page two under "Lawton, lots of questions"...
Zarabeth, I have been following that thread with great interest. Like you, I'm walking in blind and need the best overview possible before we arrive. It looks like a house with a storm shelter is a definite must. I spent the better part of today getting smart on the subject. Very fascinating info.

I forgot to mention something. One main requirement on our list of "must haves" is having a broadband connection. I know this may limit availible areas, but high speed access is a must.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by Jammie; 08-06-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: merge

Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 AM

15 posts, read 53,481 times
Default Elgin info.

Harry_T

I think you and your family will love Elgin. I too like how Lake Ellsworth isn't very far.It is a beautiful lake.Great for water skiing, or fishing, camping, etc..I've spent many sunny days at that lake.

Elgin doesn't have all that bad of a mosquito problem really.It's just like any other place near here after all of the flooding.I also heard yesterday that Elgin may possibly be getting a wal-mart and a new ice cream store in the near future just (some added info)..lol.

It has a doctor's office, dentist, real estate office, grocery store, cafe, daycare, gas station, dollar store, bank, school/football field, several fast food places,and a barber.I'm probably leaving something out.But that's just a little more to help give you an idea of the town.

Oh, and a new internet company from Medicine Park called Wichita Online is supplying broadband to surrounding areas of Lawton, including Elgin.

Last edited by shelbylane; 08-08-2007 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks again for the info shelbylane. Northeast is definitely where I would like to settle. Elgin is the primary point of interest. It seems the selection out in that area is pretty slim right now though. I have some feelers out with some of the Realtors I found on-line. Do you have any recommendations for some of the better Realtors?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Harry_T

I do know for a fact that for this northeastern area of comanche county most people do use Elgin's realty company for the most part.Have you googled them? I'm sure you probably have already.They have the majority of the listings there for the surrounding towns also.

You could give coldwell banker out of lawton a try.I've seen their signs up near Elgin i'm pretty sure.I can't post links for some strange reason otherwise I would just put up the links for you.And there's a guy named Jay Kinder out of Lawton who you might google.He has his own company I think.He may be able to help you.

I know that when i drove through Sterling the other day (on my way to Chickasha) i saw a few nice houses for sale there off the main road.They probably have already sold ? You should be able to find a house in or near Elgin though, hopefully ! Lots of housing there.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Thanks again shelbylane. I put a few feelers out on the various websites. So far Larson Real Estate has already responded with a personal e-mail response. The other real estate agents sent me their canned website response. The agent from Larson has been very attentive to my needs so far. If there is any caveats I need to be aware of for any of the agencies, please let me now. As a first time buyer who has been away from the States for sometime, I may be a little more vulnerable to "crafty salesmanship" than I'm aware of.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Default another possible agent, definitely housing in Sterling

Harry_T

I asked around about another possible agent to help you..I know of no caveats with these realty companies so far.But that doesn't mean that there isn't any. This person also said that there is definitely housing in Sterling that people are looking at.So i guess what i saw is still for sale.No word on Elgin's housing availability yet, but i'll keep an eye out.

I do find that odd that they just sent you an e-mail with their usual
"advertising ".It could be that they are very busy, or that they might work better with calls to the office.I don't know.

Elgin's paper: The Chronicle sometimes has a lot of realty on their pages.If they have a website you might also find individual's selling their own houses without a realtor.

Last edited by Jammie; 08-15-2007 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: edited name

Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM

shelbylane,

Your posts have helped me out tremendously. I can't thank you enough. At this rate, we are going to owe you a nice dinner when we get there.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,291 times
Default lawton, ft sill

hello listen i have lived in Lawton off and on my whole life. Lawton is a crime infested gang infested town. i moved to Duncan, ok and it is a world of change check it out really. Lawton has more crime and gangs thank okc and tulsa. good luck

Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the advice caroljones. We have already made a conscious decision not to live in Lawton proper. Be that as it may, I grew up in Los Angeles and San Bernardino County in my informative years. I would presume that those areas have 100 X more gang activity than Lawton. I associate gangs with rattle snakes. You know they are out there, and what they look like. You will run across them sooner rather than later. The key is to know what to do in a situation to ensure that you do not get bit. Don't tread on them, and they likely won't tread on you. Just my $.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma