Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times

Advertisements

Ok. Garbage post on a number of levels.

1) I work in downtown Tulsa and got a job with a Fortune 500 company and didn't know a soul there or even in town. I managed to make a very good living, make a few friends and never had an uncle or other relative help me. I moved here from Colorado so I guess I'm just lucky.

2) I have never had a gun held to my face or even an unkind word from a homeless person in downtown. I lived downtown for 2 years and would transverse downtown going to the Blue Dome and back. I've never felt threatened nor has my girlfriend, now wife. Have you ever been to the bad parts of Montego Bay or just the touristy parts where you might see someone "dangerous" make a face at you and say "Ooga booga."?

3) There are perverts and drug gangs in every major city. Only OKC makes the short list for gang affiliation with the likes of Detroit, E. St. Louis and Camden, PA. Balla' Holla! CDC Online Newsroom - Press Release-Gang Homicides: January 26, 2012
The 6 Most Gang Infested Cities in America - TheRichest
Tulsa's gang task force is still active.

4) Tulsa has a current unemployment rate below 5% and so does OKC. I don't understand how you don't say there are "no jobs here".

I'm sorry you live in the clique-iest part of the metro, Jenks. Maybe you should get out of there but I really don't know if Tulsa needs this brand of negativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 01:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
Low unemployment doesn't necessarily mean a lot of good jobs. I too find the OK job market pretty lacking as far as soild middle class type jobs, especially in fields such as public health. But you can definitely find lower wage jobs with no problem.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Low unemployment doesn't necessarily mean a lot of good jobs. I too find the OK job market pretty lacking as far as soild middle class type jobs, especially in fields such as public health. But you can definitely find lower wage jobs with no problem.
?????? I've seen nothing but tons of RN positions posted in the paper and online. If you mean public health as in bureaucrats or inspectors, those are government jobs. According to the Tea Party, those jobs have no benefit and need to be outsourced quickly or pay the same as McD's, unless there are unclean restaurants they eat at and in which case, why are you not throwing them in a gulag for 20 years for serving a burger with a mouse hair in it? Oklahoma has a middle class for manufacturing, energy and business-to-business sector. The gov't jobs, including teachers, really suffer.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 PM

374 posts, read 806,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcxt View Post
Me and my wife are both in our mid-twenties. We currently live in Columbia MO. We have lived in St Louis and other big cities. We want to move to either OKC or Tulsa. We don't know what one is the best fit. I have looked on here for information as well. Any help would be great.

We are leaning toward Tulsa more due to it having river parks, everything is closer together. But have heard it does have higher crime rate.

We prefer to rent for now. I have heard both are similar prices. Also what about utilities cost?

I want to finish my college degree but which one is best for that? I am a accounting/computer science major. What city is best for that degree?

Which one has the better art scene? My wife is a artist with a degree in art. We want somewhere that she can grow and promote her work. She does painting, jewelry (also has jeweler training) and does metal works.

What city has more to do like night life, sports, parks, zoo, museums and just the quality of life?

We plan to move in October. We have been to both but that just made us more unsure on where to move.
You should probably be looking at Wichita Kansas. That town fits what you are looking for.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
You should probably be looking at Wichita Kansas. That town fits what you are looking for.
I think Wichita would be somewhat of a step down from Tulsa and Oklahoma City for them.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastlegirl;35963863[B
]I would say OKC over Tulsa any day[/b]. I live in
a smaller southern well-to-do suburb of T-town as the natives call it. I
have never adjusted to life here. I lived in Norman area for 7 years and OKC
for a year and worked downtown for a law firm in college.
Quote:
howest2008....
I like you kastlegirl , but what College did you attend ?...And what
suburban area did you live in ?
Quote:
I still love going to OKC. With any city it is the people that
make it. If you are an outsider in OKC, it's ok, there are so
many international companies drawing different types of people and many
colleges around that you will certainly find your
group.
Quote:
howest2008....
Both OKC and Tulsa doesn't have that International Corporation VIBE but
the part about Universities is spot on about OKC because of OU and OSU.....
But as a matter of Fact Tulsa is mentioned in the GAWC World Class Cities
Honorable Mention Rating for Cities with International Corporate Connectivity which
show potential for becoming a World Class City.
Quote:
Kastlegirl....
And you will never here the phrase "It's on a grid" if you get lost in
OKC. Inside joke about Tulsan's. Now, Tulsa on the other hand is an insider
city. Good luck finding a job at a top firm or top company without
knowing Someone or being someone's son-n-law or niece. The same goes with
joining friend groups. If you find the out of towner group you'll be set for
friends. If not, best of luck, it's like a big click

Quote:
howest2008.....
Both cities are insider cities , but you are right with Tulsa being the
worst of the two cities.And That's A Clique

Quote:
Kastlegirl....
that you are not a part of or a member. And as for the crime, it's all
over this place! Sex trafficking in the suburbs, and gangs in the "good"
schools. Good neighborhoods back up to the worst neighborhoods you've ever
experienced in your life as section 8 housing is spread through out Tulsa and is
really close to nice malls like Woodland Hills. Even in ritzy areas criminals
will break into your home in the middle of the day and either rape or kill who
ever is home.
Quote:
howest2008....
Hey Kastlegirl we're talking about Tulsa OK not Lost Wages Nutt Badder... Las Vegas Nevada .. Sex , Hex and Vex Trafficking in the suburds , section 8 in Mansions....etc. etc. I'm FOMC falling out of my chair ROTF...right about now.

Quote:
Kastlegirl....
This has happened to friends of friends living on "suburban"areas. Tulsa has been listed on the most dangerous cities list more times than I'm comfortable with, and they even disassembled their gang task force unit years ago.

Quote:
howest2008...NOT

Good job mayor! I lived in a "nicer" area with my in-laws and my car was broken into 4 times in 6 months. As for the economy, Tulsa is hanging on to old money and Trust fund babies in bad economic times. Good companies avoid it like the plague. I have been trying to get my husband to leave it since we moved here 13 years ago. When the economy is down it is really bad if your in the "out" group and don't have an Uncle who can get you that promotion or job. There are no big in-house attorney insurance company jobs here because they are all based in OKC. Wonder why? Downtown Tulsa is sort of a gamble, like downtown Montego Bay Jamaica, you don't know if that homeless guy will beat you to death or stick a gun in your face. But you might take a chance to see a concert, if there is a parking space. It's a mess in Tulsa. People get excited over stupid Crap like another bike trail or another playground. Yay, more public crap, more taxes, but no jobs. Oh and highest liquor tax of all 22% tax an all drinks. Try that next time you go out! Anyway just my opinion after living a fair amount of time in both places. I have friends here, but they were from college, and I barely see them. Everyone else stays in their "click". It's a bizarre place.
I'm out of here best regards howest2008........

Last edited by Howest2008; 08-18-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Howest, when you put several quote posts in rectangles, it's difficult to know which hold your words or someone elses. Sometimes it's easy, but sometimes not... just sayin'. Since I lived in OKC so many years, plus visiting there all my life, I lean toward OKC. I was very active in the art scene and sold many pieces of art. I have a smattering of knowledge re Tulsa, although I think they have an active art scene as well. Several years ago I would see the name of a fellow in some of my college art classes in a Tulsa paper, but haven't noticed it lately. I finally finished the book I've been reading, so maybe I'll be here more.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Howest, when you put several quote posts in rectangles,
it's difficult to know which hold your words or someone elses. Sometimes it's
easy, but sometimes not...
Quote:

howest2008.... Yeah I agree so I try to use my moniker but sometimes I
forget to follow through ..

Rubi3
just sayin'. Since I lived in OKC so many years, plus visiting there all my
life, I lean toward OKC. I was very active in the art scene and sold many pieces
of art. I have a smattering of knowledge re Tulsa, although I think they have
an active art scene as well. Several years ago I would see the name of a fellow
in some of my college art classes in a Tulsa paper, but haven't noticed it
lately. I finally finished the book I've been reading, so maybe I'll be here
more.
reading a book is much better than hanging out at city data forum....LOL

Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Default Operation Battlefield Dismantal Tulsa Area Gangs

US Attorney Danny Williams says 'Operation Battlefield' indictment largest in history - KJRH.com

Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Ok. Garbage post on a number of levels.

1) I work in downtown Tulsa and got a job with a Fortune 500 company and didn't know a soul there or even in town. I managed to make a very good living, make a few friends and never had an uncle or other relative help me. I moved here from Colorado so I guess I'm just lucky.

2) I have never had a gun held to my face or even an unkind word from a homeless person in downtown. I lived downtown for 2 years and would transverse downtown going to the Blue Dome and back. I've never felt threatened nor has my girlfriend, now wife. Have you ever been to the bad parts of Montego Bay or just the touristy parts where you might see someone "dangerous" make a face at you and say "Ooga booga."?

3) There are perverts and drug gangs in every major city. Only OKC makes the short list for gang affiliation with the likes of Detroit, E. St. Louis and Camden, PA. Balla' Holla! CDC Online Newsroom - Press Release-Gang Homicides: January 26, 2012
The 6 Most Gang Infested Cities in America - TheRichest
Tulsa's gang task force is still active.

4) Tulsa has a current unemployment rate below 5% and so does OKC. I don't understand how you don't say there are "no jobs here".

I'm sorry you live in the clique-iest part of the metro, Jenks. Maybe you should get out of there but I really don't know if Tulsa needs this brand of negativity.
Congrats on your success and your luck in safety! I don't live in Jenks. I did teach there though. Jenks isn't cliquey, and my suburb isn't that cliquey. It's just the general attitude of Tulsa. Totally an insider city.
My husband and I are in Education and Law. Totally different markets from regular degree or non-degree jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma