U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 5,340,276 times
Reputation: 1198

Advertisements

When are apples ready for picking in Oklahoma? I just moved to a property with apple trees and wanted to get an idea of when they would be ready. Thank you for your feedback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM
 
33,075 posts, read 19,412,715 times
Reputation: 35789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
When are apples ready for picking in Oklahoma? I just moved to a property with apple trees and wanted to get an idea of when they would be ready. Thank you for your feedback!
I am not trying to be a smart @ss, but we usually bite them to check. Ours are right on the verge. Soon as one falls, it seems all the animals hear it!

The deer and coons will eat them up real quick if not picked. We have two trees that are crossed red jonacle (sp?) and green something and they can continuously produce for a month. We already have deer coming in at night to check them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 5,340,276 times
Reputation: 1198
Our apples seem small in size to me, but maybe I am inappropriately comparing them to store apples. I figured they would be ready closer to fall, but I suppose I am wrong. Funny, I have already seen some apples on the ground with little bites in them. Someone is appreciating those fallen apples. I assumed the winds from the last few brief bursts of rain knocked them off the tree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: OKLAHOMA
1,789 posts, read 4,081,750 times
Reputation: 1013
I had to cut my apple trees down because of cedar rust. That was and is a horrible disease.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 5,340,276 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I had to cut my apple trees down because of cedar rust. That was and is a horrible disease.
I'm sure that was a sad day when you had to cut down your apple tree. I hate to ever cut any trees down unless it's an absolute must. Did you have a juniper on the property too? I've been told the juniper and the apple tree diseases feed off of each other...basically they play host to one another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 AM
 
Location: OKLAHOMA
1,789 posts, read 4,081,750 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
I'm sure that was a sad day when you had to cut down your apple tree. I hate to ever cut any trees down unless it's an absolute must. Did you have a juniper on the property too? I've been told the juniper and the apple tree diseases feed off of each other...basically they play host to one another.
No, I am out in the country and have lots of woods which are mostly cedar trees. My husband dies when he has to cut a tree other than firewood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 01:11 PM
 
33,075 posts, read 19,412,715 times
Reputation: 35789
It's too blazing hot to even check the apple trees. And yes, the critters love our apple tree. We never water it, and it just comes back strong year after year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Living on 10 acres in Oklahoma
1,188 posts, read 5,340,276 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
It's too blazing hot to even check the apple trees. And yes, the critters love our apple tree. We never water it, and it just comes back strong year after year.
Great to hear that about the water! I worried the apple trees needed water, but my mother assured me we were fine not watering. Not that I didn't totally believe my mother, but it's nice to have that confirmed from someone other than family...since we have 5 apple trees, 4 peach trees, several pecan trees and lots of wild sand plums. This is our first time owning a small orchard, lol! We just want to do good by them so we can share with family and friends...and it's cool to think I have a small orchard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 PM
 
33,075 posts, read 19,412,715 times
Reputation: 35789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Great to hear that about the water! I worried the apple trees needed water, but my mother assured me we were fine not watering. Not that I didn't totally believe my mother, but it's nice to have that confirmed from someone other than family...since we have 5 apple trees, 4 peach trees, several pecan trees and lots of wild sand plums. This is our first time owning a small orchard, lol! We just want to do good by them so we can share with family and friends...and it's cool to think I have a small orchard.
I am pretty sure the deer have your plot on their travel destinations. We have three that regularly visit our place.

I was going to check ours after reading your post, and never got around it it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 04:13 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,642 times
Reputation: 10
A bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone knew where I can buy apple wood in Oklahoma for cooking purposes? I don't like cutting trees either but I don't cook this way very often...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top