Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:36 PM

11 posts, read 56,020 times

Advertisements

I think what attracts me to OK overall is what the land costs. I grew up in Idaho and loved having land and the space. Here in Fresno, 20 acres would cost a minimum of 1.5 million and up for just bare land. My mother in law owned a 10 acre parcel that she sold in 1998 for $300k. It recently sold for $2.2 million.

Also, after growing up in Idaho I moved to California with a little time in Brooklyn, NY and the fast pace, bs of a big city, local politics, and rude people have just gotten to me. My wife tells me all the time that she doesn't want our 4 1/2 year old and 3 year old going to the schools here in Fresno.... so I need to something soon.

Can anyone tell me about the schools in Big Cedar area???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 06:48 PM

169 posts, read 456,365 times
Isn't Big Cedar an RV park with a convenience store? I'd be quite surprised if there's a school there. The Talimena drive there and hiking trails through the mountains are beautiful, but I can't imagine how you could live there if you needed to work and your kids needed to go to school. Not to be a downer, but I'd hate for you to drive clear out there just to realize that. I could be wrong, though, so let us know what you learn.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 PM

11 posts, read 56,020 times
I work from home as a Real Estate Broker. All of my branches use the fax and phone and of course, the internet is very important. For the most part checks can be mailed and I can do almost everything I need to from anywhere. I would still drive out to Fresno every other month to check up on everything and to visit family. There are enough school breaks to almost be able to take the family... summer of course, then Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. That leaves visiting maybe once or twice without the family. I thought someone told me a school was in Whitesboro which is like ? From online I was able to find that Whitesboro had about 70 children living there. So they must go somewhere or are all of them home schooled? And I am not sure where the "towns" start and stop but the real estate parcel I like states it is in "Big Cedar on Hwy 63". So I figure it isn't that far from Whitesboro if it is close to the 259 and Hwy 63? I am estimating about 15 miles and I guess with the speed limit and roads, a half hour or so driving?

Old 08-11-2007, 10:03 PM

169 posts, read 456,365 times
Yes, Whitesboro does have an elementary and a high school. I was under the impression you were expecting Big Cedar to have schools, so that's what I was referring to.

There are sites online that rate schools based on a number of factors, so you might look into that. It looks like 69% of Whitesboro's students are eligible for free or reduced lunches, which is an indicator of the poverty in the area. (Southeast OK is the poorest part of the state, and Oklahoma isn't exactly a rich state in the first place....hence the cheap land.) Of course, poor doesn't have to mean bad education, so you'll probably want to research other factors. It is pretty around there, that much I can say.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:50 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
A few pics of the mountains near Big Cedar from Oklahoma tourism websites.

A view from Talimena Drive.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
Talihina is a cute town not that far from Big Cedar. Here is a link that has a lot of pictures and good information. Talihina, Oklahoma

They probably have open transfer in the schools there, so you can choose among the schools.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:49 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Somewhere View Post
Fresno really isn't that great. The air quality is typically in the unhealthful range, the sun shines ALL the time through the haze and it is easy to get burned. 100 is a good day since when it gets up past that it is just miserable. It wouldn't be so bad sitting a park in the shade but when you are in a car on black pavement it is much hotter than the temperature reads at the airport. People drive like idiots and the highway planning commission of Fresno County is a joke as their designs CREATE accidents and traffic jams.
A little humidity I could learn to live with but I will definitely need a home with a/c. The cost of living in Fresno (anywhere in CA for that matter) is insane and makes no sense whatsoever. The average person makes far below what it takes to buy a home at prices that are so far out of reach it would make a person sick. I am looking for a place where income and cost of living have a balance.

I am curious to know... does it snow in Big Cedar, OK? My wife told me today that she wants to drive out there within the next two weeks. Maybe as early as this coming Tuesday.
It snows all over Oklahoma. Not to a great extent, but it snows. More so in the Northwestern part of the state, but in Big cedar I'd say you'll probably get about 6 inches a year.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Those are beautiful photos. Looks like I picked the right area to live since I am not a lover of pines and so want a variety of trees with far fewer pines. Still, they are beautiful in their own way. Can't wait to visit there. Whenever that may be.

The snow we get here I call "fun snow." It is just the right amount to say, "Oh, how beautiful," and then it is gone. It may last a little longer in the mountains.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Like you jessaka, I am a big fan of deciduous trees. I just like to see them change throughout the year, especially in spring and fall.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
Synopsis,

I am glad that I am not alone in this. Ha. What is beautiful though is to see snow on pines. What is just as beautiful is to have one in my living room all decorated for Christmas. Sometimes it is hard knowing a tree died over it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma