Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
We (meaning I) haven't even turned over the dirt yet. I dread using the rototiller. I need to hire someone to do it. Can I borrow someone's combine? Peg, we are thinking of getting a few chickens. The price of eggs is over $2.00/dozen and Don threw a fit.

We have a hen house that hasn't been used in years. But it is pretty small. I look forward to fresh eggs, but not to cleaning up the hen house.
I have a about a dozen roosters you can have.

My husband insists on keeping our chickens in a pen, so they are not laying much, or something is wrong. They seem to be able to raise plenty of little chickens, all males.

I like to just let the chickens run around during the day, then close them up at night. The eggs taste better that way, but the hens do get killed one by one.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:21 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
This is whats left of my great grandparents homestead outside of Hennessey. It is just half a mile north of Lacey.

If I were you Goodpasture I'd take a board off that old house and keep it for sentimental reasons. But that's me, I'm sentimental..

Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I have a about a dozen roosters you can have.

My husband insists on keeping our chickens in a pen, so they are not laying much, or something is wrong. They seem to be able to raise plenty of little chickens, all males.

I like to just let the chickens run around during the day, then close them up at night. The eggs taste better that way, but the hens do get killed one by one.
I agree. My grandma used to let her hens run free and they always returned to the hen house on their own. But Don wants the chickens penned. He does have the experience of raising them here, so I will let him have his way. Now guineas is what I would like to have. But our neighbor's guineas all flew the coop a few days after she brought hem home. It was funny as heck. She thought they were pets and they just flew off.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If I were you Goodpasture I'd take a board off that old house and keep it for sentimental reasons. But that's me, I'm sentimental..
My Step fathers folks, we called them Maw & Paw. They were what you might call backwoods people. My home town in Michigan was a logging town and both my Step dad and Paw were loggers (My brother and I worked in the woods on weekends, cutting trees or carrying a measuring poll to measure 8ft logs.)
Anyway, Paw had this house out in a wooded area called Hoxyville. Actually it was on a backroad intersection with one general store down the road. The house had no power, just an out house. That area was considered a township and Hoxyville can be found on a map.
I went back there 2 years ago, the property is still there with just the foundation, but the out house is still standing.
I can't remember how mant times I've used that thing in the dead of the Michigan winters

Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
My Step fathers folks, we called them Maw & Paw. They were what you might call backwoods people. My home town in Michigan was a logging town and both my Step dad and Paw were loggers (My brother and I worked in the woods on weekends, cutting trees or carrying a measuring poll to measure 8ft logs.)
Anyway, Paw had this house out in a wooded area called Hoxyville. Actually it was on a backroad intersection with one general store down the road. The house had no power, just an out house. That area was considered a township and Hoxyville can be found on a map.
I went back there 2 years ago, the property is still there with just the foundation, but the out house is still standing.
I can't remember how mant times I've used that thing in the dead of the Michigan winters:confused

We had an outhouse growing up the first 12 years of my life.. Now, Oklahoma Winters don't get as cold as Michigan Winters but I remember some pretty cold trips, sometimes through the snow, to that outhouse. The best thing about the winters were that you didn't have to worry about bugs! Only the occasional curious cow sticking his head in there to see what was going on..

Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM

One time I was in that outhouse in the middle of the night. It was summer and this thing is way out in the woods.
I heard a scraping noise and the whole thing was shaking. There was this knot hole on the side about the size of a hand ball, the moon was out so saw a shadow and then an eyeball peek through. It was 2 deer out for a midnight snack. I kicked the wall a scared them off.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
One time I was in that outhouse in the middle of the night. It was summer and this thing is way out in the woods.
I heard a scraping noise and the whole thing was shaking. There was this knot hole on the side about the size of a hand ball, the moon was out so saw a shadow and then an eyeball peek through. It was 2 deer out for a midnight snack. I kicked the wall a scared them off.
That's hilarious! They were getting an eyeful of MK! Peeping Tom Deer!

The cows we had were always curious what was going on. Nothing like hearing heavy breathing and a giant head poking in to take a look when you're at your most vulnerable.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Only the occasional curious cow sticking his head in there to see what was going on..
nothing like a good startle to keep things moving, eh?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Have you ever been licked by a cow?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Have you ever been licked by a cow?
yeah, but I get even.....I LOVE tongue sandwiches.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma