Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 AM

43 posts, read 295,496 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Husband and I currently live in Lubbock, Texas. We are wanting to move to the Antlers area. We want to buy some land and cattle and start ranching.
We have found a couple websites showing real estate in Antlers and the land seems alot more reasonable than it is here in Lubbock.
We are just wondering about living in Antlers-we know it is a small town but what kind of jobs are there?
Forgot to add-we are 23 and 24 and have one son-5 months old. My husbands aunt lived in Antlers while he was growing up and he really liked visiting her. Just hoping there are friendly people aroudn this area. He is from Duncan and I am a Texan so I am not sure if OK people are as friendly as the texans

Last edited by txgal0919; 02-09-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
OK people are very friendly, like Texans.

Here's a link to the local newspaper
Hugo Daily News - Home Page

According to City-Data, the occupations for males are:

[LEFT]
  • Construction (17%)
  • Public administration (9%)
  • Accommodation and food services (9%)
  • Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
  • Educational services (5%)
  • Utilities (5%)
  • Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
[/LEFT]

Antlers

And for females:

[LEFT]
  • Health care (28%)
  • Educational services (17%)
  • Accommodation and food services (7%)
  • Food and beverage stores (6%)
  • Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
  • Public administration (6%)
  • Social assistance (3%)
[/LEFT]

Old 02-09-2008, 03:42 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal0919 View Post
Hi everyone. Husband and I currently live in Lubbock, Texas. We are wanting to move to the Antlers area. We want to buy some land and cattle and start ranching.
We have found a couple websites showing real estate in Antlers and the land seems alot more reasonable than it is here in Lubbock.
We are just wondering about living in Antlers-we know it is a small town but what kind of jobs are there?
Forgot to add-we are 23 and 24 and have one son-5 months old. My husbands aunt lived in Antlers while he was growing up and he really liked visiting her. Just hoping there are friendly people aroudn this area. He is from Duncan and I am a Texan so I am not sure if OK people are as friendly as the texans
If y'all looking for friendly, you came to the right place. Everyone here is very helpful and friendly. It convinced us to move to OK. We recently bought a house in Mustang, and will be moving into it at the beginning of March. Welcome!

Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
There are a couple of people, (myself one of them) that live in Duncan.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:04 PM

43 posts, read 295,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
If y'all looking for friendly, you came to the right place. Everyone here is very helpful and friendly. It convinced us to move to OK. We recently bought a house in Mustang, and will be moving into it at the beginning of March. Welcome!
That's great! I am hoping we can move soon. Our house is on the market and we have not even had one looker. We are excited to move but stressed at the same time

Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
It seems like house sales are slow all over the country. One of our kids and my ex brother in law have had their houses (nice) listed for months with nothing much happening. I think after a few months things will improve.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM

17 posts, read 61,084 times
Thumbs down Dont Do It!

Txgal, I have grown up in Antlers and let me tell you, this is one place that you DON'T want to live! I made the mistake of moving back (again) in january and I am paying for it! The cops are dirty here, they have KNOWINGLY let several vandals burn down more than 3 businesses here in town and then let them go! WITHOUT prosecuting them!!! Our town will also never grow due to the fact that so many small business owners sit on the city council, they kept a walmart from coming to town, after walmart had ALREADY bought the land!!! Oh and not to mention our city water that smells like oil and you cant hardly bathe in because it gives you boils! I am moving as SOON as possible, I don't want to be anypart of this filth ridden town anymore!!! My suggestion, Durant,ok. Its got lots of big businesses (and growing) but its still got PLENTY of nice land right outside of town. Take it from someone who lives in this crooked town, ITS NOT WORTH IT!!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,537 times
katrinareich is right!!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Jobs in Antlers? LOL There haven't been any jobs there for years! There's little business, no industry, no theaters, one grocery store, one bank, no car dealerships and to get to the only McDonalds in miles requires a trip up the turnpike to the service plaza. The only things which keep it alive are the county government, school system and little hospital. Most of the residents are on some sort of assistance (mostly Indian-supported food distruibutions etc) or elderly. Any young people with ambition leave after high school.

The people are friendly and nice, but they're not too keen on more Texans coming in and driving up property values. Texans are abandoning the Lone Star state in droves because of high property taxes and some have come to the Antlers/Hugo area. More have flooded Bryan County and Durant to the point that land and house values are extremely inflated, I assume based upon the supposition that all Texans are dumb enough to pay it. It seems many are.

Outside of Antlers, farther up the county in communities such as Finley, Snow, Honobia, Moyers and Clayton, the resident are very taciturn, defensive of their property, unfriendly, unwelcoming to outsiders and, in some cases, downright dangerous. Many are up to no good and don't want strangers wandering around. Just last week, law enforcement made the biggest marijuana bust in Oklahoma history near Clayton (in excess of 20,000 plants) and, this week, an Antlers school teacher and her whole family were arrested for cultivating pot at their house out Hwy 3 toward Rattan. (Note: They have not been convicted; only accused). It seems most of the time that crime is the biggest industry in Pushmataha County.

Take a trip up there and look it over before you sell out. You may like it, but you may also be disappointed. The town appears to have small town charm, but there's an undercurrent there which will leave you gasping for breath once you move in. Unless you've grown up among such people, I wouldn't recommend it. Southeastern Oklahoma, where I grew up, is a whole 'nuther world which normal, civilized people really find difficult to understand. It's not that the people there are bad...they're just....different.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
I thought I'd better come back and say this, before I'm misunderstood.

Some of the finest, most caring, most loving people I know are from Antlers and that SE corner of Oklahoma. I grew up among them and have met many, many more magnificent men and women doing disaster relief with the Southern Baptist's. They'll drop what they're doing, leave home and job behind, just to help others in their greatest time of need, all over the country and all over the world. I treasure my friendships with them and wouldn't want to be seen as maligning them. They are all special gifts from God.

But, I also know others there who are not worth the gunpowder it would take to blow their brains out. Conniving, devious, violent, distrustful snakes whom you should avoid at all costs. Some are extremely dangerous to you and your family.

The trick is to recognize the difference and, to an outsider, that's often impossible to do. Those of us who know them have developed a sort of radar, a 6th sense based upon hard experience, which enables us to pick out the ones to stay away from. To someone not familiar with the culture down there, and it's people, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not you get tied up with people who will hurt you. The bad ones don't wear a neon sign on their head which reads, "Danger! Stay away!" They seem just as normal as you and I, but they're not.

But, since your husband grew up there, maybe he can do that and teach you who to trust and who to run from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma