Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I think it is a moot point in Oklahoma since the illegal alien law was passed. Overnight construction crews were decimated, rental properties were vacated and some businesses servicing immigrant labor closed down.
Construction in OKlahoma City is still dominated by illegal immigrants as far as I can tell. I don't blame them for wanting to come here and do the work, but I don't blame the people who compete with them for wanting them to stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Construction in OKlahoma City is still dominated by illegal immigrants as far as I can tell. I don't blame them for wanting to come here and do the work, but I don't blame the people who compete with them for wanting them to stay home.
And then we have the situation that we do whatever it takes to make a living, even if it means below market wages.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio - YouTube

Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
The northwest quadrant of OKCity probably has fewer than anywhere.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
I would rather hire a hard working Mexican than a lazy white or black who CLAIM they want to work, but really do not want to get out and work. Typically they are looking to get on unemployment so that they can watch tv for a living. This country has changed, it is a shame.
My thoughts exactly.

I came here from Texas with my parents, and years before that my brother moved to north Arkansas and we've all noticed the same thing: People who complain about their wages and lack of jobs but don't want to work.

My dad tried hiring locals to help build his home and they were very unprofessional. It took them at least three times longer to get the work done, demanding more money when they took long breaks and DRANK on the job. I came home from work one day to find one of the men urinating outside in broad daylight in front of the yard! Disgusting. The school bus drops off kids just yards from where he was waving his sausage.

Construction was moving too slow, and my dad and brother were doing most of the work anyway. After a week my dad fired them and hired illegals to finish the job and they got the job done in just three days for less money.

So as much as I understand the competitive nature of things, I don't blame employers for wanting to hire hard workers. Not that there aren't lazy illegals, I'm sure there are.

It's not just blue collar jobs either. I've worked in office jobs, and currently a newspaper, and I've worked with some pretty lazy people who come and go whenever they feel like it and lie on their time sheets. Then complain that they don't make enough money.
It irritates me that these people don't just get fired or if they do, they get rehired a month later. The rest of us how work our butts off have to pick up the slack and it's not like we get a raise for it.

Sorry, that last part was a rant.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
How do you know they are illegal? Just because they look hispanic?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,136,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybryant87 View Post
Hi all!

I currently live in Phoenix AZ and there is no delicate way to put this, so I'll say it bluntly. My husband and I are sick and tired of all these illegal mexicans. We're looking to move to Oklahoma because we have a lot of family there and the few times we've been there, it seems like the Oklahoma City/Moore area is a nice place to live.

So, what's the illegal immigrant situation? On the city-data page that gives info for Oklahoma City lists demographics, but I've got to know more details. How many mexicans do you see walking around these parts?

I'm sure this will come across as being racist to some, but I hope I'll get some real answers.

And before you suggest it, we've already thought about Mexico!
Tulsa is a pretty clean little city. OKC has a lot of
illegals on the South Side (Captol Hill area) but the
North side is clean. Nothing like AZ..

Phoenix is a lot like the wild west anymore.. Im sure
you will like OK. Lots of luck.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
OKC has a lot of
illegals on the South Side (Captol Hill area) but the
North side is clean.
Let me ask the question agan. What makes you think they are illegals?

Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 AM

81 posts, read 254,969 times
Wink Norman, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Let me ask the question agan. What makes you think they are illegals?
Sometimes you just don't know. I don't worry about it much. There are many roofing crews with brown guys working very hard. They buy gas and food rent a play to stay, go to the Walmarts and spend money. I don't care they don't bother me. I had my roof replaced and 4 gringos and one brown man showed up and they all worked hard and did a good job. I am just not going to worry about it.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
The OP should stay away from the towns that GP, Redbird, and I live in.

We are "illegal" in more ways than you can shake a stick at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma