U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:59 AM

5 posts, read 11,893 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to OKC from Texas. I previously lived in Austin and enjoyed the city but far preferred living in the suburbs, where there was less traffic and less "sketchy" areas (for lack of a better term).

I imagine the suburbs of OKC have less traffic and fewer "sketchy" areas as well, and we are considering living in Moore. I have heard great things about Edmond, however, the daily commute to Midwest City (where my husband will work) would be longer than he would like (20 minutes is the max he wants to spend in a car one way).

So, I'm hoping to get a little advice/insight about life in Moore. (Or if you have info about a community/neighborhood within OKC that is safe and nice, I would love to hear that too!)

*I don't mind if the homes are "cookie cutter" or if it's a bunch of "bible thumpers" -- as long as they are nice bible thumpers I'm mostly interested in a nice, family-friendly, safe community with affordable housing in quality neighborhoods. Oh, and less than a 20 minute commute to Midwest City.*

1. Are the schools good? We don't have children yet, but we want to buy in an area with good schools for when we do have children.

2. We're looking to spend between $150k-$180k for a house. Is it possible to get a nice 3-4 bedroom home in a nice neighborhood for that price? (By nice I mean family-friendly, well-kept yards, low crime, few aggressive breed dogs.)

3. Are their restaurants, a Target, a Pier 1, other stores like that in Moore, or do you have to go into OKC? (Also, what grocery store do people use in Moore?)

4. Are the people kind? I realize there are rude people no matter where you go, but on the whole, do people from Moore tend to be kind and welcoming, or judgmental and uppity?

Would love any advice you can give, and THANK YOU in advance!

Last edited by soontobeokie; 09-26-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM

533 posts, read 1,637,494 times
You might look at the City of Moore web site: Welcome to the City of Moore | City of Moore

Moore Schools are pretty good

You should be able to find a home in the price range you've mentioned - some neighborhoods are better than others as with most areas.

There are restaurants and a new Target and the Warren Theater. No Pier 1 but a Bed Bath Beyond. And it is easy to go to Norman, Oklahoma City, Midwest City, Newcastle, and so on.

Lots of retail in the SW 19th and Telephone Road area as well as on the east side of I-35.

Several grocery opportunities: Wal-Mart, Aldi, Target, Crest, GFF

People that live and work in Moore in my experience are overwhelmingly polite and welcoming.

Uppity is definitely not a term I'd associate with anyone in Moore.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

5,422 posts, read 6,249,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobeokie View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to OKC from Texas. I previously lived in Austin and enjoyed the city but far preferred living in the suburbs, where there was less traffic and less "sketchy" areas (for lack of a better term).

I imagine the suburbs of OKC have less traffic and fewer "sketchy" areas as well, and we are considering living in Moore. I have heard great things about Edmond, however, the daily commute to Midwest City (where my husband will work) would be longer than he would like (20 minutes is the max he wants to spend in a car one way).

So, I'm hoping to get a little advice/insight about life in Moore.

*I don't mind if the homes are "cookie cutter" in Moore or if it's a bunch of "bible thumpers" -- as long as they are nice bible thumpers I'm mostly interested in a nice, family-friendly, safe community with affordable housing in quality neighborhoods. Oh, and less than a 20 minute commute to Midwest City.*

1. Are the schools good? We don't have children yet, but we want to buy in an area with good schools for when we do have children.

2. We're looking to spend between $150k-$180k for a house. Is it possible to get a nice 3-4 bedroom home in a nice neighborhood for that price? (By nice I mean family-friendly, well-kept yards, low crime, few aggressive breed dogs.)

3. Are their restaurants, a Target, a Pier 1, other stores like that in Moore, or do you have to go into OKC? (Also, what grocery store do people use in Moore?)

4. Are the people kind? I realize there are rude people no matter where you go, but on the whole, do people from Moore tend to be kind and welcoming, or judgmental and uppity?

Would love any advice you can give, and THANK YOU in advance!

1. Moore has excellent schools. All three of the Moore highschools are rated 9/10 by greatschools. It's one of the reasons people choose to live here.
2. Yes.
3. Moore has a Target, Bestbuy, Lowes, Hobby Lobby etc. Norman borders Moore, as does OKC, so if it isn't found in Moore you don't have to go far to get it. I shop at Crests for groceries, but there are Homeland, Walmart, etc.
4. I moved to Moore because of the people. (actually OKC, but in the Moore school district), and I couldn't be happier.

One of perks of living in Moore is that it borders Norman. Which is to say Norman is a great city, but the traffic and insanity of the OU can wear on some people. So you get the benefits of all the Norman has to offer without having to deal with some of the hardships.

Moore is growing fast. It grew 33% in the last decade, and the percentage of household earning +75K per year grew by 174%. The average household income grew by 34.5%.

The growth in retail stores is well above the state and national average. National, from 2006 - 2010 the retail growth rate was .08%, for Oklahoma it was 2%, But for Moore it was 7.7% - in just those four years. In dollar amounts, the retail has grown about 40% in the last four years. We have new stores popping up all the time.

http://www.cityofmoore.com/sites/def...coPro11sgl.pdf

Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 PM

5,422 posts, read 6,249,530 times
....and Moore has the best movie theater in the state of Oklahoma.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Thank you both for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 AM

City of Moore Facebook

Rendering of new police, courts, and emergency management building downtown:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299971_280449928650874_173504292678772_1059615_183 0803461_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,899 times
The thing about OKC it is really quick and easy to get around on the interstates compared to most major metro areas. Moore/Norman is nice (I prefer SW OKC/Moore area for schools if you want to be in Moore), but I35 northbound in the mornings will be slow from time to time to get to the MWC area (and again southbound at the end of the work day). On the other hand, Edmond (east side) would be the same commute time as Moore coming south down I35 or I235 to MWC. Comparing all areas throughout the metro, I am bias, so I would recommend Edmond. I moved to Edmond 15 years ago from SWOKC/Moore. You will not have a problem finding a home in your price range. Good luck...and welcome to Oklahoma!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 PM

Outdoor Okie -- thanks for the info! You think Edmond would be the same travel time to MWC as traveling from Moore? I would have thought Moore would be closer for sure. Are we looking at 20 minutes or more like 30?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:52 PM

4,033 posts, read 10,246,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobeokie View Post
Outdoor Okie -- thanks for the info! You think Edmond would be the same travel time to MWC as traveling from Moore? I would have thought Moore would be closer for sure. Are we looking at 20 minutes or more like 30?
We live in the general area of Edmond that Outdoor Okie suggested. It takes my husband about 30 minutes, door to door, to his office in downtown OKC. We are pretty far to the north part of Edmond, so if you found something a little further south, I would think it would be doable. I know quite a few people who work at Tinker and live in the area.

I think traffic moves more quickly out of Edmond because there is more than 1 freeway heading in to town from here. I-35, I-235 and Hefner Parkway. I drive down through Moore and Norman occasionally in the mornings, and traffic is always moving much slower on the inbound lanes there than they are in Edmond.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM

It depends quite a bit on where to where. I've driven several times from far southeast MWC to south Edmond along Broadway Extension in 25 minutes. And I have relatives that drive from north Edmond east of I-35 to southeast MWC in about 25 minutes. Same area in Edmond to Moore is about 25 minutes.

Really much of the Oklahoma City area has commutes of about 30 minutes.

I can certainly design commutes that would take longer but really those are a bit unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma