Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

These are the two threads that Peggy is referring to. Let's see if they'll work now. If not, we'll figure something out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 PM

259 posts, read 789,411 times
Default Ft Sill (Lawton, Ok) is ok

I was at Ft Sill 1999 - 2001 and we didn't live on post. We lived at "Sheridan Square Apartments" on Sheridan Rd. Ft sill is not bad. I kind of liked it. Hot summers and a lot of thunderstorms but otherwise it was allright.
Dallas, TX is about 2 hours away and they have a really nice shoppingmall there called "the galleria" . Fort Sill wich is locaded in Lawton Ok also have a shoppingmall but it is tiny and really Country.
I am too from Tacoma Wa and know what you are talking about.
Good luck.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 30,752 times
Thumbs up Thank you for your reply to bugs and tornadoes

It was kind of you to reply. I just got word my husband will actually be stationed in Hawaii. I am excited as I have never been there. I will now do searches for that state.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 14,639 times
Hey Cowan85-
We recently PCS'd to Ft Sill also and have friends that have been here for quite a while. I was very apprehensive before moving here because of all these things people say about Lawton and Ft Sill. I will honestly say (and I am originally from Los Angeles), there are definitely worse cities and bases in this country compared to this. This isnt bad at all. Every city you go to has its own "issues" . This actually is a relatively decent town. It has every store and restaurant you could possibly want and if it isnt here then its only an hour away in OK City. The only issue I havent gotten used to yet are the spiders. However, today the exterminator was here and all is well now. We live in a small town about 15 minutes from Lawton called Cache. Its a growing community yet its far enough away from the business of city life. We love it here and everyone we have talked to in the immediate area (military also) likes it. Please dont get discouraged or nervous about things you may read about the area. We most recently came from a base in a small town and thats why I thought it would be hard to get used to it, but its actually nice and Ft Sill is very huge, very spread out.........much different than where we came from.
Anyway, I hope this helps. And good luck with the move. If you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 9,873 times
Default PCS Help to Ft Sill OK

Those looking for information on relocating to Ft Sill OK should check out PCS America by going to PCSAmerica.net. Lots of information, connects easily to the post and the info you're looking for and lists Realtors and apartments in the area.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:09 AM

17 posts, read 22,758 times
Walters is a really nice small town (Hi Jimmy Burns!) and easily accessible to lawton

Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 PM

70 posts, read 284,401 times
The Lawton-Fort Sill area has several different towns nearby. Cache is just one of them. A lot of military families new to the area are buying or renting places in Fletcher, Sterling, Elgin, Medicine Park, Geronimo and Walters. There is a lot of building activity happening within Lawton itself to deal with housing shortages.

Regarding the crime issues, most of the violent crime that does occur is usually confined to low income neighborhoods and higher risk environments, like topless bars. Often the crime happens between gang members. Most areas of town are pretty safe. Don't let down your guard, but don't worry too much either.

Central Mall just put a curfew into effect. On Fridays and Saturdays kids under 18 cannot be in the mall without a parent or legal guardian over 21. There's a few exceptions to that. Overall, the move was put into place to cut down on negative issues with teens hanging out in the mall.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 24,194 times
Wink Ft Sill here we come

Hi all,
I enjoyed reading everyone's views on Lawton. I look forward to moving there just because it sounds so versatile and I like to look at any situation as being half full rather than half empty. So I have a couple of questions. We will be pcs'ng to Ft Sill the first part of December. Can anyone tell me about base housing?..That of course is our second choice and who is a great company to see listings for rental properties from, for the surrounding areas near Lawton. We have a 13 year old boy and a baby on the way. Any help in making this transition easy for him would be great. He loves any and all sports but really desires to play football for the community. Anyone wanting to share any other info that would be great to know will definately be appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM

70 posts, read 284,401 times
A lot of new family housing and barracks have been built on Fort Sill over the last couple of years. The I-44 exit at US-62 and Rogers Lane was modified to make room for a new entrance on post leading to the new housing area. I don't know what the waiting list is like however. Lots of military families do end up having to buy/rent houses or apartments off post in Lawton or outside town in Comanche County. Unit deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan can impact post housing waiting lists.

Fort Sill doesn't have any DOD elementary and high schools (unlike Marine Corps bases I grew up on as a kid). Lots of kids on post attend Central Junior High and Lawton High. Some attend Tomlinson Middle School and Eisenhower High School. Don't know how many go to the MacArthur Middle & High Schools on Lawton's east side. Sports is a very big deal at all of the schools in the area, especially football.

Lawton has a lot of real estate companies. I can't give any really strong recommendations, but I think Barry Ezerski at ReMax in Lawton is pretty good.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 24,194 times
Thank you so much for your help. We are looking forward to this move. Are you stationed at Ft. Sill? Do you know what units have been deployed to Iraq and what units are coming back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma