Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM

5 posts, read 6,667 times

Advertisements

We are currently in NY, and have never been to Stillwater. I will be working at OSU as an ROTC instructor and we are in need of some advice.

1. where is a good place to live? we are looking to rent as we will only be there 2-3 years. any realtors we should contact? looking to move in Jan 2012.

2. schools, how are the schools there as i have a 9 and a 15 yr old?

3. weather, are there tornadoes in stillwater? how about snow, my daughter loves snow.

4. any other helpful info, please send our way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
I am sure someone else will respond (that lives in Stillwater) but since my older daughter lives in Stillwater, I do know a little bit about it. Plus I want to keep it on the top of the questions for you.

First you shouldn't have trouble finding a rental being that there are a lot because of OSU. Your problem is that rentals are high and that I know because while my children were in school at OSU I paid the rent. Another problem with rentals were they seemed run down because of the college students. I think I paid (6 years ago) 350 plus ultilities for a run down one bedroom. Now, after both my daughters graduated and married, they both moved into a very nice apartment building on the south end of town. I believe they paid 700 for a 2 bedroom plus ultilities and I did like the building. Not sure was a 3 bedroom would be in which you probably need. Both of daughters and their husbands' lived in the same apartment building.

One has since move to OKCity but the my older daughter and her husband LOVE STILLWATER. There is so much to do there. My daughter and her children are in the library all the time, with tons of stuff for the children. Not to mention OSU has a lot of stuff going on too. My husband and I go to things on campus quite often.

Stillwater is the only town I've seen in OK that has everything one would want without having to go to Tulsa or OKC. Restaurants, outdoor activities and malls. I live about 2 and 1/2 hours east and in this area you have to drive 30 minutes to a town called McAlester which has a walmart and that is it.
You'll like to even love Stillwater.

P.S. Yes there are tornadoes and I too am quite scare of them. For some odd reason OK thinks "safe closets" are the answer to tornadoes. I've been arguing with hubby for 13 years in getting a cellar. My daughter put a cellar in and has used it more than once. When they get a scare, you neighbors are all running to her house.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 AM

Default thank you

I appreciate the info, and we are looking forward to the move and change of scenery. We are not looking to live in a rundown area, lol. My wife will try to go down early to pre-screen some houses for us and find some areas. Our kids are excited as well, gives them an opportunity to see another part of the U.S., other than NY. lol.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 AM

There are people on this forum that live in Stillwater. I keep answering to get it at the top in posts. My daughter lives in a very nice area. If no one answers, I can ask her in what areas to look in and she has told me that she lives in the best school district. Now, one knows that I do not know but I can get the sides of Stillwater that is best.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_trin View Post
I appreciate the info, and we are looking forward to the move and change of scenery. We are not looking to live in a rundown area, lol. My wife will try to go down early to pre-screen some houses for us and find some areas. Our kids are excited as well, gives them an opportunity to see another part of the U.S., other than NY. lol.
Stillwater is fortunate to have it's own craigslist. Have you gone there? I did and saw an attractive 3 bedroom for $700 a month.

The north, northeast, and southwest parts of town are good places to look. There's no real awful rundown areas but the southeast side is the not so good side. Also the neighborhoods that border OSU aren't so nice. If you choose an apartment complex avoid, 40 North. It seems to attract troublesome people.

Your 15 year old will love the high school. So much has been added on to it in recent years, new gym, auditorium and stadium, that it has taken two hours for the principal to give tours of the school for high school reunions.

Stillwater hasn't had a major hit from a tornado since 1990. Since then there has been at least several close calls, so it's best to be safe at home in a small room during a tornado warning, not driving the streets, and praying or hoping it won't be worse than another one of those close calls.

Some winters are unforgettable for snow, for instance, the Great Christmas Eve Blizzard of 2009. So for a very rare treat, it was a white Christmas that year. But typically it may only snow a few inches at a time a few times during winter. A bigger nuisance are the ice storms, but Stillwater has only had one bad one since 2000.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM

I knew StillwaterTownie would find you. She is right when I said rundown, I meant near OSU. I personally really like that town. It doesn't take you long to get out into the country and the new garden areas of OSU are really neat. You can't go wrong with that town. You got a lucky assignment.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Stillwater Townie knows his stuff on Stillwater. I would vote for the southeast part of town/country club area. However, if you want a really nice town with a smaller school, you might want to look at Perkins, Ok.
which is just south of Stillwater.

Regardless, Stillwater will be a wonderful community for you to spend a few years, and the ROTC program up there seems to be strong.
And I say this being a die hard Oklahoma Sooner fan and alum.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM

My daughter just sold a home in Perkins. I like that town. Safe town plus a nice high school. It is a town that you will know exactly what your children are up to and who their hanging out with. Plus I believe rent might be cheaper. It shouldn't be more than a 20 minute drive for you to OSU either. My daughter that sold her home there preferred Perkins to Stillwater but you have to do all you shopping for groceriesstill in Stillwater. It has a small store for quickie stuff but wouldn't want to do a whole grocery shopping in it. Great park in town.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Thank you all so much, I will get with the wife and start looking at Perkins, OK tonight. We are excited and consider it a blessing to be coming there as well, will be a good change from here for us and the kids. I really do appreciate all of your replies, I already feel alot better about going. I dont mind the snow or ice storms, we had a bad ice storm here in 98, and the snow here gets out of control, lol.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 AM

9 posts, read 20,584 times
Stillwater is a GREAT place to live. We just moved from Edmond...its not that far from stillwater, to Wyoming, and truth be told, we want to go back!!! Housing there is so much easier to find. Even Craigslist has tons of postings there as opposed to Wyoming.

We always wanted to move to stillwater due to the fact that they get more snow as they are more northern than edmond. And it's just a dang good town!! Friendly ppl there And not slummish. Hope you like the color Orange tho ... lol.

Honestly, if I were you...I'd be eager to make the move. It's beautiful country there. Great ppl. EXCELLENT college!! They push out the BEST Veterinarians nationwide. Nice and green too And the Home of the popular "ESKIMO JOES". Kids will love that shop!

Good luck if you need more info, OSU college is wonderful on providing newcomers info. It also has a couple smaller towns nearby which would be great if you were looking for living on the outskirts, on a bit of land. Small commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma