U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 10,639 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a house next to an Oil well in south Oklahoma city (South Harbor neighborhood.) What are the pros and cons? Any health issues i should be worried about? Is noise level going to be a big issue? Many thanks in advance for the reply.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,136,849 times
noise! I live over 1/2 mile from one in the country and when you go out at night and see the beautiful stars you hear that horrible thumping noise. It basically ruins rural life. I we bought in a rural area where there isn't very much car noise so maybe that is why those wells bug us so much.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 AM

525 posts, read 862,306 times
You can always just hook up the trailer and get on down the road.....

Old 10-21-2011, 04:56 PM

664 posts, read 1,982,706 times
I live in the country as well.. and on still nights I can hear pump jacks that are over 1/2 mile away thumping and banging along. Yes it sometimes takes away from the enjoyment of the country, but since it doesn't run all the time it is not that big of a deal. If it did run 24/7 I could see it becoming an annoyance. HOWEVER, you would get use to it. I have lived in a house near the BNSF railroad tracks, one time in a house that was about 20' or so from the tracks. All hours of the night trains coming through blaring their horns. You get use to it, even my wife and kids slept through it.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:28 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,136,849 times
Well I sure wish my husband would get use to it but after 14 years I doubt it.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 PM

10,383 posts, read 14,677,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paruze View Post
I am planning to buy a house next to an Oil well in south Oklahoma city (South Harbor neighborhood.) What are the pros and cons? Any health issues i should be worried about? Is noise level going to be a big issue? Many thanks in advance for the reply.

Carcinogens oilis a cancer causing agent

Cancer Causing Agents - Carcinogens - Cancer Information (Cancers, Symptoms, Treatment) on MedicineNet.com

Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 PM

81 posts, read 241,211 times
Most oil well pump jacks in urban areas run on electric motors not the old "one popper engines" so it shouldn't be that noisy. In rural areas old wells may still use a popping gas engine those can be heard a ways away. Now just how close is close? 75 ft or 75 yards? You may smell crude oil if the wind is right there are just a lot of variables involved like is it a fairly new well or one drilled in the 1940's, is it maintained ok or does the wellsite look like a wreck.
I see that area is around SW 89th and May near the Will Rogers Airport. Most of those wells have been drilled in the last 20 years or so noise wise they should not be very bad.

Last edited by foonman50; 10-27-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 PM

95 posts, read 143,904 times
I actually currently live in South Harbor. I know the oil well you speak of in the 'backyard' of the SW Church of Christ.

When it is running, you can hear it.. basically a loud, rhythmic clacking noise. Your question just made me realize what the noise is since I could never put my finger on what was causing it.

I live a few streets away from it and I don't hear it when I'm inside my home. Outside I do hear it but like any rhythmic noise, it sort of blends in with the background. The noise from the airport and planes overhead is more annoying.

I know your post is from October and it is now almost a month after, but unless you REALLY want to live in South Harbor, I'd suggest you rethink your decision. While the neighborhood is rather cute and such, it seems to be on a decline in recent years as a lot of the homes are being rented out to people who have been causing problems for the good home owners by throwing loud parties and not taking care of the property. Also, I have never seen so many irresponsible pet owners living in one confined area who allow their pets to run loose all over without leashes.

To not come off as a complete negative nancy, there are a few good points:

The homes are smaller and thus cheaper to heat and cool. None of them have large arched ceilings/roofs that are basically empty spaces that jack up the cost of heating and cooling. This goes both ways because the homes are cookie cutter. Every other home is the same design (hard to notice until you live there), so I think resale values will take a hit.

The location is not bad if you need direct access to I44. The entrances to the neighborhood are in areas that are not busy, so you can get in and out fairly quickly.

Most people seem OK. It seems like the more you get into the center part of the neighborhood, the worse it gets in terms of people parking on the streets (hard to drive down the street) and not keeping their yards mowed. The homes that directly butt up against May or 104th seem to be in great condition and have very little turnover. The same for the homes with backyards up against fields. For whatever reason it seems like the homes surrounded by other homes are just crowded.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM

7,776 posts, read 11,826,301 times
People buy homes in Midwest City which is right by Tinker Airforce Base where airplanes fly in and out regularly. This has been going on all during the years Tinker has been there, but, some homebuyers still conplain about the noise. I wonder if they thought the noise would stop when they closed on their home?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 AM

778 posts, read 2,228,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberpills View Post
I actually currently live in South Harbor. I know the oil well you speak of in the 'backyard' of the SW Church of Christ.

When it is running, you can hear it.. basically a loud, rhythmic clacking noise. Your question just made me realize what the noise is since I could never put my finger on what was causing it.

I live a few streets away from it and I don't hear it when I'm inside my home. Outside I do hear it but like any rhythmic noise, it sort of blends in with the background. The noise from the airport and planes overhead is more annoying.

I know your post is from October and it is now almost a month after, but unless you REALLY want to live in South Harbor, I'd suggest you rethink your decision. While the neighborhood is rather cute and such, it seems to be on a decline in recent years as a lot of the homes are being rented out to people who have been causing problems for the good home owners by throwing loud parties and not taking care of the property. Also, I have never seen so many irresponsible pet owners living in one confined area who allow their pets to run loose all over without leashes.

To not come off as a complete negative nancy, there are a few good points:

The homes are smaller and thus cheaper to heat and cool. None of them have large arched ceilings/roofs that are basically empty spaces that jack up the cost of heating and cooling. This goes both ways because the homes are cookie cutter. Every other home is the same design (hard to notice until you live there), so I think resale values will take a hit.

The location is not bad if you need direct access to I44. The entrances to the neighborhood are in areas that are not busy, so you can get in and out fairly quickly.

Most people seem OK. It seems like the more you get into the center part of the neighborhood, the worse it gets in terms of people parking on the streets (hard to drive down the street) and not keeping their yards mowed. The homes that directly butt up against May or 104th seem to be in great condition and have very little turnover. The same for the homes with backyards up against fields. For whatever reason it seems like the homes surrounded by other homes are just crowded.
I know this thread is about oil wells near neighborhoods but I saw this post. If that is true then thats a real bummer, and I hope its not indicative of larger decline on the southside. I live in midtown, and due to the lack of good grocery stores in this area I always drive to the Crest Fresh Market. That neighborhood looks alright from 104th.

I always heard that so long as you stay south of 240 then you're fine, as if some freeway is this magical boundary that repels all bad elements. Well, I have a cousin who lives off of Walker between 89th and 104th and they too have a ton of rentals come on the market the last 3 years. They have also seen a dramatic uptick in graffiti.

Isn't South Harbor a fairly new Home Creations neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma