Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 13,163 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out some info on Roland and the school there. Is it a good town with sports for 12 yr olds for both boy and girl? Friendly town to outsiders? What size is the school 2A or 3A? What about Vian how is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 33,298 times
Default Roland

Roland is excellent place for children that age. My parents own a daycare in roland and I see that age in all types of athletics programs. I was involved with little league baseball, football, and basketball and it was very good. There is now soccer too I believe. Roland has one of the best 12-14 yr baseball fields in the state. The school system is very good also, I graduated Valedictorian in 03 and was able to get college paid for at OU so there are very good opportunities for your children. Also, location is wonderful, roland is small so there is no crime and people are great, but you are only 10 minutes away from Ft. Smith AR where there is malls and millions of restaraunts, 2nd largest city in AR. If you like scenery and nature I would tell you to live in liberty or long which is a few miles north of roland, its amazing and alot cheaper and the school at liberty k-8th is actually better than roland. All valedictorians at roland and muldrow every year come from Liberty. I hope this helped, and Vian is pretty but very secluded away from everything and school is very sub-par. Roland is great because you are in the middle of Ft. Smith, Muldrow and Sallisaw. If you have any more questions I will gladly help.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Exclamation 3Mengineer????

Roland is nowhere near Ft. Smith....Roland is out Hwy. 10 past Maumelle...unless there are two Rolands in Arkansas.....???? Obviously, there must be.....never heard of Vian???? Wow - somebody give me a geography lesson!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 AM

29 posts, read 134,449 times
Default That is because Roland is in Oklahoma......

I lived in Fort Smith my whole life. Roland is a speed trap AND they are very prejudice, and I'm white by the way. I have known many kids who went to school there and hated it, but I have known some who loved it too. I would suggest visiting it first. I think it is one of the ugliest places I have ever seen.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM

29 posts, read 134,449 times
Default Vian

Oh, and Vian is 50X worse than Roland. The town speed limit is 15mph. I'm serious about that by the way. If you blink you would normally miss it, but you can't because you are going too slow. Vian is about 30 minutes or so from Fort Smith, but it is also only 30 minutes from Lake Tenkiller which is a nice place and there are some pretty hills up there.
I can't imagine living in Vian unless I was 92 years old.

If your looking for a small town in Oklahoma I would suggest Claremore, I have family there and it is very nice. They have a big horse racing stadium too. Other than that I have never been impressed with Oklahoma, but that's just me. I know there is alot of activities for kids there because my sister has 2 kids ages 5 and 13 and they are in dance, soccer and football. It is about 2 hours from Fort Smith, but it is only 15 minutes from Tulsa which has WAY more stuff to do.

If your just looking for a small town around Fort Smith I would look at Greenwood, Alma or Mountainburg. The great thing about Mountainburg is it is in the hills and pretty, but it is also in between Fort Smith and Fayetteville so you have your choice of where to go. I have known alot of people from Mountainburg and they all loved it.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Never mind.....Roland OKLAHOMA....

Good grief, no wonder I didn't know where these places were. OK forum might be a good one to tap into....

Old 08-30-2007, 04:10 PM

155 posts, read 662,182 times
Roland used to be a bad speed trap, but here lately they've been staying off the radar it seems. It's a growing city.

Vian is a little crum hole with cops who have nothing better to do than enforce their insanely low speed limits.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,444 times
Vian is a great place to raise your family. It's not so political and not having the big city atmosphere helps. It may have slow speed limits but who wants someone speeding around town anyways. I've lived in Sallisaw all my life and just recently moved to Vian because it was a better school for my kids and enviornment for them to grow up in. Roland is also a small community and has the same thing to offer as Vian. If your looking for a place to grow as an individual any of these small towns would be a great place to live. (Did I mention I'm white) what's that suppose to mean. I'm white too...

Old 11-09-2008, 09:30 AM

465 posts, read 1,417,015 times
Roland is Oklahoma but stuff that happens there makes it into the Fort Smith Times Record.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 AM

MODERATOR: Moving back to OK forum...this thread really belongs there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma