U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 40,256 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting transfered to McAlester within the next few months, we are currently living in a larger city in Colorado and I'm a little hesitant to move to what I consider a small town. We have two childern ages 2 and 7. How is the school system there? How big are the classes, what sports are offered for young childern? Is there high speed internet (Cable, or T1)? I've tried to look up more information on the internet but just can't get a feel for this town and was just looking for something to go on...pros and cons. I hear you have a water problem as I read in your local paper is this a constiant problem are you better off buying bottled water to drink? Any info helps just trying to calm my nerves!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 10:36 PM

14,228 posts, read 10,270,397 times
McAlester is not that bad. It is close to some of the more scenic areas of Oklahoma and it has the best Italian food around.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,165,869 times
I think McAlester is a pretty town, with quite a few historic type buildings.

When you speak of the local paper are you reading the
McAlester News-Capital, McAlester, OK - Homepage

I think you will find much more information there. I live about 30 miles west of McAlester and I read their paper online. If you have any questions about what you read there I will be glad to fill in the blanks as best I can.

The only complaint I have heard about the schools is that the dress code was too strict.

The water supply where I live has the same problem. It is caused by manganese in the water and while apparently not dangerous to drink, it can stain clothes in the washing machine. I think this is a summer thing when the lakes turn over. I always drink bottled water just because lake water has some taste issues for me.

I have never heard of anyone being transferred to McAlester before. Just curious, what business is your husband in? I can understand why you would be nervous, but you will be fine.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Thank you for replying to my message, and yes I was referring to the online paper capitol something or other. My husband works in the oilfield and his company has a yard there, he spent about 2 weeks there for work came home and asked if I would like to move. I'm glad to hear about the water issue not being that serious! And the dress code isn't really an issue for us. If you have any links that may be good for anymore local info I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 AM

I was afraid you would say city government or the dog food plant.

Here are a couple of links.
McAlester Public Schools

Norman schools ban hats; McAlester imposes tougher dress rules ... (broken link)

Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,363,956 times
I come from the area around McAlester and I like McAlester. It's very close to some scenic areas and has a lot of history. It also has some pretty good Italian restaurants!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks again the links you gave informed me more of what to expect in the school systems. I've heard of the itailian food (I LOVE ITALAIN) there being good...what are the name of the places you'd recommend? Thanks for all your help!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:43 PM

Pete's Place is the oldest, and used to be the place where the "movers and shakers" met. Maybe still is.

Isle of Capri is good. Really the same menu but not as well known around the state. It has a more open seating arrangement. I think it is in the same family as Pete's.

I have heard good things about Roseanna's, but I have not eaten there.

Lovera's Grocery is a must for you. They have authentic sausage they make themselves, along with cheese and pestos, and other items necessary for Italian cooking. Yum!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,363,956 times
They also have an Italian festival in May (or at some time during the year). It's been years since I've been, but it's a pretty big deal in the area.

Italian Festival of McAlester, Oklahoma - Welcome!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 PM

14,228 posts, read 10,270,397 times
Giacommo's is the other one. It has really good antipasta and italian sausage. It will remind you of a 1950's italian place. They say they have real good steaks but I haven't tried one.

One tip: There is a little Lovera's convienence store in Krebs that is about a block from the old grocery store. It has a little kitchen in the back and I would say that they probably have the best subs and pizza in the state of Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>