Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,284 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are making plans to move our family out of Maryland within the next two years. We are strong Christian conservatives, and would like to raise our family around others of like mind and values. From all the research I've done, Oklahoma (specifically the Tulsa and Broken Arrow areas) sound like the ideal location.

There is only one problem -- I'm terrified of spiders.

I've heard the horror stories about large spiders, including brown recluse and masses of migrating tarantulas, and I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting myself into. Are these just horror stories, or can I truly expect to run into these things in a well-developed, established suburban neighborhood?

Will regular spraying/extermination services eliminate this problem from my home?

If anyone else has lived in the Maryland / Virginia / Pennsylvania area, how does it compare to the spider populations we have here?

All horror stories aside, what can I honestly expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 05:38 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
My husband and I are making plans to move our family out of Maryland within the next two years. We are strong Christian conservatives, and would like to raise our family around others of like mind and values. From all the research I've done, Oklahoma (specifically the Tulsa and Broken Arrow areas) sound like the ideal location.

There is only one problem -- I'm terrified of spiders.

I've heard the horror stories about large spiders, including brown recluse and masses of migrating tarantulas, and I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting myself into. Are these just horror stories, or can I truly expect to run into these things in a well-developed, established suburban neighborhood?

Will regular spraying/extermination services eliminate this problem from my home?

If anyone else has lived in the Maryland / Virginia / Pennsylvania area, how does it compare to the spider populations we have here?

All horror stories aside, what can I honestly expect?
I have lived here for 7 years now, moved down from Cape Cod. I am not too crazy of spiders myself, but even living in the country I have not been bothered by spiders.

Sure, you need to be careful reaching into dark and damp spots which is where the brown recluse likes to hang out. But if you keep the house clean it cuts down on spiders considerably.

Of course, there are also big nasty spiders called wolf spiders. They look bad but are completely harmless PLUS they keep the nasty insect population down.

As far as "masses of migrating tarantulas" goes ... I would LOVE to see that. I see an occassional tarantula crossing a country road when we expect rain, but that is it.

You can have your property sprayed which sill take care of it, especially in the suburbs.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,284 times
Thanks, that is very helpful! We have wolf spiders here in Maryland too, so unfortunately I'm familiar with them. Nasty looking critters, but as you said, mostly harmless.

I do believe I'd have a heart attack if I ever ran across a tarantula in real life, though. Harmless or not, there's no reason for a spider to ever be that big and hairy! Guess I'll be staying away from those country roads!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Shouldn't be afraid of tarantulas....they can be a lot of fun to play with......just remember, they aren't too bright..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma