Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I've lived my entire life (55+ years) in Los Angeles, and I'm seriously considering relocating somewhere and getting away from sky-high prices for real estate, gasoline ($3.65/gallon) and everything else out here.

Given the rock-bottom unemployment rates (4.5-6 percent per the BLS) in OKC, Norman & Edmond, is the competition for retail jobs as fierce as it is in booming industries there such as oil, gas & tech? Would it be a reasonable idea to line up a job with a major retailer (I've also been a security officer for several years, and have also worked for car rental companies and grocery stores) before I move, or should I move and then start looking?

Your cost of living is substantially lower (duh!) than LA's, which is another big plus.

I look forward to hearing from everybody, and I'd appreciate any tips and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
For starters, don't consider the Prague area since there's been earthquakes, most mild, going on there for the last two years.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:15 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
This thread is a bit quiet, so I will weigh in just based on my observations....

For the most part, yes the economy is holding up very well here. Its usually between OKC and Washington DC as to who has the lowest UE rates for metros with 1 million or more, and has been since the recession began. The more important thing is there are actually companies hiring and adding jobs. If you are doing anything oil and gas or aerospace related, you will be a kid in a candy store.

Now for the caveats. Yes the COL is low, but the wages are also a bit on the low side. In fact, outside the two industries I mentioned above they are probably some of the lowest I've seen. Some industries are doing better than others. For example, I would avoid construction for the mere fact that homebuilding, while not dead like in other places, is very slow right now nonetheless. Plus, several major projects (Devon Tower, Crosstown Fwy Reconstruction, CHK arena) will be wrapping up in the next 6-9 months and will dump a lot of carpenters, pipefitters, etc. on the market.

If you want to work retail, jobs are pretty easy to come by. I wouldn't say there's fierce competition, at least not yet. I've noticed a lot of people have moved in from surrounding areas/states, but I personally think a lot of people are freaked out by what they stereotype OK to be (crazy weather, wingnut politics, not a lot to do, etc.) so we are not "booming" but rather just nicely chugging along. I certainly won't complain. But like I mentioned earlier, you may be a bit surprised at the prevailing wage for what retail pays here.

My best advice: come out here with a few months of savings, get acquainted with the area, apply for jobs, and see if it grows on you. Hope this helps!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I think Soonerfan about sums it up. I don't honestly know how much luck you would have trying to find a job in something like retail if you don't already live here. Do not expect to make California wages here. Yes, the cost of living is much lower, but the odds are your wages will be lower as well.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
My sister works in Tulsa, OK and her career field pays very low wages compared to most every other state for a comparable position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma