Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM

134 posts, read 491,346 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was wondering if Oklahoma was a good place to live/ Start out.

Is the Employment rate high or low?
Taxes?
snow, no snow?
decent schools?
High or low rent prices?

Thanks Goodfella24

Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Where in Oklahoma are we talking about?

In general, I would say it is a good place to live. We like it. However, I wouldn't want to live just anywhere in OK. I'm a city girl, and I wouldn't want to live in a small town in any state.

Unemployment is lower than much of the country right now. Again, it depends on where in OK and what kind of employment you are seeking.

Taxes are relatively low.

Some snow. Not a ton, but again it depends on where in Oklahoma you are talking about. The panhandle tends to get the most. Obviously, the further south, the warmer it gets, so less snow. In central OK, we get a couple of snowfalls a year. In the last couple of years, we've had a bit more than normal, but usually it melts off in a day or so. We've had none so far this year. It really depends on where you're coming from. If your coming from Florida, yeah we get a ton of snow. If your coming from Minnesota, we don't get any!

Schools, again, it all depends where you're talking about. Some are great, some not so much!

Compared to much of the country, the cost of living here is low. I can't speak specifically to rent, because I've never really rented in Oklahoma. Again, it all depends on what town/area you are looking at. Some places are more expensive than others. However, keep in mind, depending on where you are coming from, wages here might be lower as well.

Give us more specifics about what you are looking for and you might get more specific answers.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM

134 posts, read 491,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Where in Oklahoma are we talking about?

In general, I would say it is a good place to live. We like it. However, I wouldn't want to live just anywhere in OK. I'm a city girl, and I wouldn't want to live in a small town in any state.

Unemployment is lower than much of the country right now. Again, it depends on where in OK and what kind of employment you are seeking.

Taxes are relatively low.

Some snow. Not a ton, but again it depends on where in Oklahoma you are talking about. The panhandle tends to get the most. Obviously, the further south, the warmer it gets, so less snow. In central OK, we get a couple of snowfalls a year. In the last couple of years, we've had a bit more than normal, but usually it melts off in a day or so. We've had none so far this year. It really depends on where you're coming from. If your coming from Florida, yeah we get a ton of snow. If your coming from Minnesota, we don't get any!

Schools, again, it all depends where you're talking about. Some are great, some not so much!

Compared to much of the country, the cost of living here is low. I can't speak specifically to rent, because I've never really rented in Oklahoma. Again, it all depends on what town/area you are looking at. Some places are more expensive than others. However, keep in mind, depending on where you are coming from, wages here might be lower as well.

Give us more specifics about what you are looking for and you might get more specific answers.

Thanks so much for the Reply, my current situation is I'm 20 my mother passed of cancer last February and my father has been ill with Pulmonary Fibrosis since my elementary school years. It's now catching up to him, he's telling me to go find a job and get college started. I'm from Connecticut and have always looked at moving south. I'm trying to figure out an area in which I could find a full or part time job to support myself while scheduleing classes around it. Right now I'm trying to decide which state would be best to do so, Connecticut with It's massive tax increases and high costs of living isn't an option for me anymore.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Then consider moving to some college town like Norman or Stillwater.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
I would recommend Norman or Stillwater as well. Norman, I would think, would have more to offer as far a employment, simply because it's larger than Stillwater as well as the fact that it's part of the OKC metro area. Stillwater is a bit more isolated, but still only about an hour into OKC an only slightly more to Tulsa. You could also look at The University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond. Also, part of the greater OKC metro, and less expensive to attend than OU.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:27 PM

274 posts, read 518,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
Thanks so much for the Reply, my current situation is I'm 20 my mother passed of cancer last February and my father has been ill with Pulmonary Fibrosis since my elementary school years. It's now catching up to him, he's telling me to go find a job and get college started. I'm from Connecticut and have always looked at moving south. I'm trying to figure out an area in which I could find a full or part time job to support myself while scheduling classes around it. Right now I'm trying to decide which state would be best to do so, Connecticut with It's massive tax increases and high costs of living isn't an option for me anymore.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm also from CT and trying to get back to OK before things get much worse here. I was stationed at Tinker AFB in OKC for about 4 years. Because I have lived in CT and OK I could really see the difference between taxes vehicle registration and the cost of living between the two states. Overall the taxes in OK are about 1/3 of what they are in CT!!! You might think that less taxes would mean a lower quality of life but in most cases, it's the exact opposite. The roads, schools and parks are much better built and maintained in OK. The Bricktown River Walk in OKC is much nicer and cost less than the Hartford Riverwalk project. There is also much more attractions in Bricktown to interest 20- somethings.

The OKC zoo is vastly superior to the Beardsley zoo but the admission price is still lower at the OKC zoo. There is no state fair in CT that even comes close to the OK state fair but the admission rates are the same. Actually, the last time I was in OKC, I went to the fair twice. The first day was free military admission day and the second was $1.00 admission day. None of the little fairs in CT offers anything like that. The CT hunting and fishing is a really pathetic imitation of the OK wildlife expo but it costs $12.00 to get into the CT expo with another $10.00 for expo center parking and the OK expo is free.

Housing prices are much lower in OK than CT. Vehicle taxes, registration and insurance are much lower in OK than CT. That's why you see so many commercial vehicles in CT driving around with OK license plates. Large companies with facilities in both states save a lot of money doing that unless CT catches and fines them. I could probably give you many more examples of the differences between the two states but you get the idea. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
Thanks so much for the Reply, my current situation is I'm 20 my mother passed of cancer last February and my father has been ill with Pulmonary Fibrosis since my elementary school years. It's now catching up to him, he's telling me to go find a job and get college started. I'm from Connecticut and have always looked at moving south. I'm trying to figure out an area in which I could find a full or part time job to support myself while scheduleing classes around it. Right now I'm trying to decide which state would be best to do so, Connecticut with It's massive tax increases and high costs of living isn't an option for me anymore.
Oklahoma City Community College in OKCity, is also a possibility. Many students take their first year or two of college in this way. It's cheaper than the larger universities. Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) has a branch in Oklahoma City. My granddaughter has just finished her first year there. Another granddaughter graduated college this month after working almost full-time and attending classes at the university in Edmond, plus taking quite a few online courses.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:00 PM

11 posts, read 42,240 times
The people in OK are Exceptionally nice and friendly. To me, that's the state's biggest asset.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,101 times
Uhhhh. Texas is a few miles south, and a world away...

Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
But the summer heat in Texas sets in sooner than in Oklahoma and takes longer to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma