Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times

Advertisements

Just heard on the news that 3 of the deaths from Friday were from professional storm chasers working for Discovery channel.

They also say there are still people missing.

I would expect the death toll to rise due to people travelling through who might not check in with friends and relatives often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
First off, when I'm ready, I will discuss my thoughts of the storm chasers who were killed.. and whom I personally knew. It was devastating news to me and the meteorology/stormchaser community. The traffic situation I believe was enhanced by the media's suggestion to head away from the storm, which I think was poor advice.

As for the upcoming weather, after tomorrow (Wed. June 5th) we will be on the back side of this wet period we've been enjoying (at least most of us). Slight chances of rain mainly in northern Okla. this weekend, then both the European and GFS seem to be in agreement that the summer furnace will be turned on. With all the moisture as of late, temperatures basically along and east of a Enid, Weatherford, Ardmore line will rise into the 92-98 degree range by around June 12-15th and those heat indices will be wicked.. probably in the 103-108 degree range with relative humidities only lowering to around 45-55%. West of said towns where rainfall progressively has dwindled, expect temperatures by the June 12-15th period to be running anywhere from 98-106 degrees but with lower humidity (18-26%). I do believe this upcoming heat wave will be transient in nature and I expect (hopefully) at least a couple of more unsettled periods between June 20-30. Happily, I am very confident that our severe weather season is almost behind us..

For today, there is an enhanced chance for thunderstorms harbouring up to 3" diameter hail, damaging wind gusts to 80mph and at least a confirmed tornado report or two in an area from Sayre to Fort Supply, Stillwater and Ponca City region after about 7pm. Tornado watches may be issued thisevening or at least a severe thunderstorm watch. A complex of storms should barrel through during the overnight hours mainly north of I-40 and east of a Woodward/Weatherford line, up to 2" of rain could occur. Tomorrow, more thunderstorms could erupt south of I-40, isolated severe is possible.. then I believe we are done with this active weather pattern and it's hello blazing sunshine, heat and a whole lot of humidity where it has rained.
To be continued.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM

Tonight at 9:00 cdt, Discovery is doing a special on the 3 fellas who were killed.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Tonight at 9:00 cdt, Discovery is doing a special on the 3 fellas who were killed.
Thanks Dale for the update.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM

I heard on the local news that the father (sorry, I'm not familiar with them) was still in the truck, seatbelt still on. One of the others was found 1/2 mile behind the truck, and the other 1/2 mile in front of the truck. They didn't know if they were ejected and thrown, but (and I don't mean to be disrespectful) it sounds to me like they were sucked out and deposited.

Sorry to be so graphic.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Special is on right now.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM

It repeats at 11:00 cdt.

It was a good show, but could have been another hour. It primarily covered the May 20 Moore tornado. Almost nothing was shown about the May 31 tornado, and very little about the 3 deceased chasers.

They said that a teacher who survived the May 20 tornado lost everything in the May 31 tornado. That just takes your breath away.

It's been one helluva spring.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
I was also saddened to hear about the Samaras's and associates death. After watching Storm Chasers on Discovery Channel for several years, these guys become TV friends. When misfortune occurs you feel it. For family and real life friends I'm sure it's much worse.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM

If interested, you can read my thoughts on my friends who were killed in last Friday's tornado near El Reno, the evolution of storm chasing and it's negative impacts on those who are responsible at it.. and such

here://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

Meanwhile, models are more insistent that a steamy heat wave will develop by early next week and may last quite awhile. Temperatures up to 108-110F in far SW Okla. by around the 18th seems plausible and near 100F here in the Stillwater/OKC areas by then ... and oh, the humidity!! Heat indexes to at least 110F are almost a certainty. I'm becoming increasingly concerned that our pattern may significantly change to a much drier one as only isolated storms will be likely at best, mostly because of the excessively wet ground contributing to abundant low level moisture.. this hopefully will be our saving grace to keeping a hard core drought from returning. I am still sticking to my forecast of a more "normal" summer for all but the western thrid of the state. Unfortunately, that western third and points west are still in drought and may very well worsen over the coming weeks. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Once again resurrecting the weather thread here.. not that there's been much to talk about since the apocalyptic siege of atmospheric violence back on 5/31.

Overall, my forecast has marginally verified thus far.. didn't expect 14 inches of rain for OKC for May, which was an all time record, nor the unseasonable cold stretches earlier in May, but overall, as expected.. it's drying out and heating up, which is standard fare for Oklahoma.

For the rest of this month... below normal rainfall state wide expected however in the short term thru tomorrow, isolated storms may pop up and may yield up to a half inch of rain along with localized downbursts, maybe some small hail ... next week, slightly below normal temps then gradually warming to between 95-105F after the following weekend. A possible uptick in moisture with scattered showers and thunderstorms the next week (after the 18th) .. afterwards until the end of the month, typically hot and mostly dry with isolated storms. Overall, a much more "typical" summer type pattern than the previous two years. For August there potentially could be some interesting things happening as the tropics could become quite active with at least one substantial tropical system that could influence our weather sometime during the month, especially the last half, this could give us some much needed rainfall, temperatures as of now should be right at normal, give or take a degree. September could also feature some rains from decaying tropical storms as well, with some earlier than normal cool fronts that may add to the rainfall. Looking even further ahead, I see potentially a drier than normal winter with above normal temperatures but it may start off with a bang with unseasonably cold weather in Nov. and Dec.

Keep in mind, I'm going off of analogue years and patterns I see that may evolve. Part of this is I see a "La Nada" pattern .. that means no El Nino or La Nina .. pretty much neutral along with what could be a warmer than normal north Atlantic ocean, which tends to produce troughing and storminess across the eastern half of the US. That normally would put us in a NW flow aloft and that tempers rain and snowfall amounts. As always, much can and will likely change this far out. It's always a challenge trying to figure this out.. in the end, pretty much an educated guess. More to come ... So, what's happening where you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma