Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 07:08 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times

Advertisements

Computer models are suggesting a significant cold wave with possible snow and maybe even some ice commencing around the Dec. 8-10th time period for at least the northwestern 2/3rds of the state. I'm now very confident that December; at least up until close to Christmas will be a wintry one for many.. as of now, from roughly Dec. 8-25th and maybe beyond. If current models verify, we may see a couple of days or so of below freezing temps. and measurable amounts of snow, maybe some ice too.

Preparations should be in order to ensure your ready for winter weather! It will be nice for some of us to get a taste of ol' man winter.. like myself. Just hope any power interruptions will be kept to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 05:26 PM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Here's hoping that the predicted mess this weekend isn't as bad as they say it will be, but all models suggest a very chilly, even subzero event for most of the state.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
The fire place is roaring, cats are curled up, after coffee and news it will be an all day baking and reloading event. Outdoor birds got extra treats. Already checked on neighbors.

Getting the paper this morning the ice cold wind bit to the bone! Bundle up! Stay warm! Check on others!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:40 AM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Record low in Lawton today (-5F) after three-plus inches of dry snow. Sun's out, maybe the roads will improve.

I've got 4x4 and great tires, 600 lbs of sand in the bed, but never felt comfortable yesterday above 30 mph. Can't understand why I got passed a couple times like I was standing still. "But I've got 4WD (or AWD)..." isn't a valid excuse.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Record low in Lawton today (-5F) after three-plus inches of dry snow. Sun's out, maybe the roads will improve.

I've got 4x4 and great tires, 600 lbs of sand in the bed, but never felt comfortable yesterday above 30 mph. Can't understand why I got passed a couple times like I was standing still. "But I've got 4WD (or AWD)..." isn't a valid excuse.
A dedicated set of winter tires make a big difference, but you won't get too much use out of them that far south. I have an AWD Subaru with upgraded tires, went through a hundred inches of snow a season one time with no issues. The best test is to take it on degraded narrow woods roads with deeper snow, up in Vilas County, WI for example.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A dedicated set of winter tires make a big difference, but you won't get too much use out of them that far south. I have an AWD Subaru with upgraded tires, went through a hundred inches of snow a season one time with no issues. The best test is to take it on degraded narrow woods roads with deeper snow, up in Vilas County, WI for example.
Over 8 feet of snow?

Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Today, I was thinking about all the people who say that Oklahoma summers are "as bad or worse than Phoenix".

May 23, 2017 OKC 59 degrees. Phoenix 105.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Yes but it's a dry heat lol. I grew up in Durant we were outdoors all summer playing golf or baseball and football in early fall. It's the whimpification of the country we are seeing. Sure it's hot but I never wimped out in sports because of it.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 05-23-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I remember attending a worldcon in Pheonix mid summer. (Ok, a worldcon is one of the large science fiction conventions which happen yearly, and sometimes happen in the same hotel and sometimes shift. Ah, I need to go to the next one I can reach....)

I had a couple of long skirted, multilayered hall costumes, and reserved those for entirely indoor areas. Outside it was spectacularily over a hundred. The breeze was blowing ( breeze to me, as it was always windy at home ) but it didn't seem to cool you off too much. But the air was very dry.

I was a little hot in the five layered stuff, but in some of the other con wear wasn't so hot and felt okay outside. But it wasn't NEARLY as bad as home was then. I lived deep in the smog and heat belt in the worse area for smog in California. Air which was hot was one thing, and air which you could breath made the heat not nearly so bad.

It was wierd when the temperature at midnight was a degree over the hot tub at the hotel, and people were complaining it wasn't hot enough. But it was clear and the smog had stayed in socal.

When considering a place, figure the temperature and humidity but most of all how bad is the smog. If its bad, do NOT move there...... your lungs will thank you.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:25 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Guys we are having another one of those horrible Phoenix type of days that the malcontents are always complaining about.

OKC- 82 degrees. Phoenix- 108 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma