Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 AM

17 posts, read 41,199 times

Advertisements

My wife and I need some advice. We want to retire, but can't afford Ct. So we are searching for a small rural area to live in. We are not looking for work. Just a place where our funds can allow us to be comfortable. We are simple living people and desire a quiet place. We lost great jobs and we lost our retirement money with it. So we are trying to find a way to live on a small SS payment. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
OK is cheaper. I'd fine a nice little spot near the Grand Lakes. You have the greenery your use to plus lakes and hills. Cost of Living should be a great deal less than where you are and I know houses sure will be. Our property taxes are very low. I moved here from the midwest 14 years ago and was shocked at low the property taxes are compared to IL/Wis area.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 PM

100 posts, read 212,936 times
I will also suggest the Keystone Lake area, close to Tulsa and you can get a rural as you want. Pawnee county, Creek county, Osage county.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
The famous Route 66 just to the northeast of Oklahoma City is pretty countryside along with Arcadia Lake. It's not a real big lake, though.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:53 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times
I would stick with the Grand Lake area. Your only a little more than an hour from Tulsa which has good medical facilities and enough culture to keep you happy (though it is pale in comparison to areas close to NYC.) Some towns to look into would be Grove, Spavinaw and Disney. There are a surprising number of retirees from the northeast and midwest there. The climate you'll need to get a little use to, pretty darned hot in the summer and you'll need a storm shelter although tornado frequency is a little lower there. Winters are predominately mild with an average of about 11 inches per winter. This winter has hardly seen an inch or two there. People are for the most part pretty nice but the locals can be a little cliquish but yet are still cordial. Overall, I will be so bold to say that people are far friendlier here in Oklahoma than from the large urban areas of the northeast.

As for the recommendation closer to Oklahoma City.. I would look into it. OKC has alot to offer as far as medical and culture but if your into trees and lakes, your better off around Grand Lake. Also the weather can be considerably hotter and drier, and your closer to the core of tornado alley.

Real estate prices may be a little more expensive up in Grand Lake but it may be worth the extra for a little more laid back lifestyle, plus there are alot more retirees in the Grand Lake area.

Check out the following website which will give you a good idea where you may want to settle. Type in one of the towns I mentioned to get the pricing and availability of homes in the area you desire.

Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent on Realtor.com - Realtor.com®

Hope this helps some and the best of luck to you.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times
I decided to go on realtor.com just for kicks to see what the prices were around Grand Lake and was amazed. In the Grove area, many nice places for under 170K. There are a few places in the 140K price range on up, right on the water, several townhomes available there too if your interested. I don't think you'll do any better around Arcadia Lake price wise and I'll tell you.. Grand Lake is far prettier and better water quality. Just wanted to add that I'm really sorry for your circumstances, I feel for you and your not alone. I think Oklahoma will be a great choice and you should feel at home in no time.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I decided to go on realtor.com just for kicks to see what the prices were around Grand Lake and was amazed. In the Grove area, many nice places for under 170K. There are a few places in the 140K price range on up, right on the water, several townhomes available there too if your interested. I don't think you'll do any better around Arcadia Lake price wise and I'll tell you.. Grand Lake is far prettier and better water quality. Just wanted to add that I'm really sorry for your circumstances, I feel for you and your not alone. I think Oklahoma will be a great choice and you should feel at home in no time.
Hi. Do you think the Mahars can consider 140K and up, when they plan to live on their Social Security? Sounds to me like they will be below poverty level since SS is only supposed to augment retirement funds. Perhaps they will be selling a home in CT, since they had great jobs, but, he doesn't mention that.

For instance, in Muskogee, a nice 1100 sq ft home w/1 bath can be bought for $60,000. in a somewhat decent neighborhood, at least no thugs running the street. They wouldn't be at the shore of a nearby lake, but, they would be safer and could drive to a lake very close. I say safer, because an isolated house at the water is too good a target for an older couple, imo. I'm not promoting anyplace in particular, heaven knows, we already have plenty who made no provisions for retirement.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post

For instance, in Muskogee, a nice 1100 sq ft home w/1 bath can be bought for $60,000. in a somewhat decent neighborhood, at least no thugs running the street.
How many bedrooms? At least two?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 22,966 times
I don't think you'll do any better around Arcadia Lake price wise and I'll tell you.. Grand Lake is far prettier and better water quality. http://www.*****.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Default Durant/SE Oklahoma

Take look at Durant or other parts of SE Oklahoma for retirement too. Durant is a nice small town not too far from Dallas so you get the benefits of lower cost Oklahoma yet near a large city with an airport if you have visitors who might fly in at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma