U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Oklahoma...
Southern 6 24.00%
Western 1 4.00%
Southwestern 4 16.00%
Midwestern 1 4.00%
A combo of 2 or more of these 8 32.00%
All of the above 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2012, 03:44 PM

181 posts, read 277,429 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm reading an old thread that poses the question:

Is Oklahoma a southern or western state?

The opinions expressed in the thread are VARIED. Seems like one's opinion on this depends on where one is from. It seems like if someone ISN'T from OK, their opinion is quite different from someone who IS. Lol.

Oklahoma is categorized in many different ways, depending on what info you are looking at, or who you are talking to. Personally, I've always felt that OK is more southern than anything, or at least "southern lite". Lol. This is probably because my mom is from southeast Oklahoma, or "Little Dixie". I defy anyone to visit Pushmataha county and tell me that ain't southern! And yet, I lived in Tulsa for years, which felt barely southern to me at all. More midwestern with southern hospitality, if anything.

Yet the panhandle would feel more "western", I imagine. (I've never been. For shame.)

How do you define Oklahoma? Personally, I say it's...

Unique! And I love it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM

85 posts, read 209,426 times
flat dry western ok i would call southwestern, eastern i would call southern? I am more familiar with the western half though

Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,494,743 times
Oklahoma is a combination of Southwestern and Southern. Spend some time in Birmingham and then Oklahoma City and you'll see the difference. Eastern Oklahoma is more Southern though, especially closer to Fort Smith.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM

5,519 posts, read 8,855,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Oklahoma is a combination of Southwestern and Southern. Spend some time in Birmingham and then Oklahoma City and you'll see the difference. Eastern Oklahoma is more Southern though, especially closer to Fort Smith.
Spot on, BChris.

These threads are so old/tired.

*yawn*

...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think it really does matter what part of the state you are from. All of my Oklahoma roots and experience are of eastern OK. My experiences with western OK are only driving through on I40 and taking I35 to DFW once. Does OKC still have that Uhaul truck on top of that building by the freeway?

Eastern OK, especially the southeast, feels very southern. So in my mind, I've always thought of it as southern. But really, it's the crossroads of America.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Spot on, BChris.

These threads are so old/tired.

*yawn*

...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
And yet...here you are.

I realize this has been debated, years ago, by some of you. But I find the topic interesting, and thought I would add the poll to it. Not all of us are The Old Man On The Mountain With His Hair Down To His Knees.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 AM

374 posts, read 766,051 times
I usually judge a state based on the predominant accent there. Oklahoma is culturally mainly a Southern state, especially in the southern and eastern portions, but also has a strong Western influence. For some reason, as a kid I always thought of Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas (where I grew up) as Southwestern states, though. I guess that was before I heard the term "South Central."

Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I usually judge a state based on the predominant accent there. Oklahoma is culturally mainly a Southern state, especially in the southern and eastern portions, but also has a strong Western influence. For some reason, as a kid I always thought of Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas (where I grew up) as Southwestern states, though. I guess that was before I heard the term "South Central."

True. In my mind, Texas and Arkansas overwhelmingly share the most cultural affinity with Oklahoma.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepastorsson View Post
And yet...here you are.

I realize this has been debated, years ago, by some of you. But I find the topic interesting, and thought I would add the poll to it. Not all of us are The Old Man On The Mountain With His Hair Down To His Knees.
No offense intended, PastorsSon. Sorry I burned your biscuits.

And you are right about me being kinda old and crotchety except my hair is not long. As RedBird has pointed out a time or two, I like to sport the classic mullet in the vein of vintage Kenny Rogers.

Enjoy.

MAD TV | Kenny Rogers' Jackass | Complete 1st & 2nd Season - YouTube

Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Lol! Tried to rep you B & C, but it wouldn't let me do it again yet.

I have no idea how old you are or what you look like, obviously. My remark was referring to the fact that some of us haven't been on CD that long. But I'm sure you're just being onery again. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma