Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM

181 posts, read 298,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
They might be friendly, but the 1 1/2 year I've lived here I haven't met any neighbors! Everyone stays to themselves and I feel so isolated. We've visited a few churches too where we walked out because NO one talked to us.....Now I've met some sweet people here and the church we're now going to the people are warm and loving...

Oh, and I've had lots of middle fingers shown to me by the nutty drivers here! These people have a death wish with the way they drive. HORRIBLE...
Tulsa drivers are the worst, I'll give ya that!

I found most people to be very friendly, but of course that isn't always true. Trust me though...WAY friendlier than people in Michigan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:28 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
Quote:
I live in Oklahoma and was shocked at how much property tax is compared to what I paid in California. It's been said that the cost of living is cheaper here, but it isn't. The homes are cheaper, but homeowner's ins. is high due to all the storm damage. My utilities are higher here too...
I've lived in CA, UT, KY, IL and this is by far the cheapest living. Yes car insurance is higher than in IL but the thousands more I paid on property taxes up there it doesn't really count. Also it is true that income tax is a bit higher than IL too. It was in the news recently that OK comes in 3rd for the cheapest state to retire in. Personally, there isn't a huge difference between AR and OK and I actually prefer the Northwest corner of AR to OK.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
They might be friendly, but the 1 1/2 year I've lived here I haven't met any neighbors! Everyone stays to themselves and I feel so isolated. We've visited a few churches too where we walked out because NO one talked to us.....Now I've met some sweet people here and the church we're now going to the people are warm and loving...
People, including me, keep to themselves because they don't want to be judged up close by other people. After all, you can tell a lot from a new person by talking to him or her for a short period of time and you may not gather a bright and positive impression of that person.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:01 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
There is a huge difference in the vibe between flagship college towns, state capitol cities, and the rest of the world. I don't like capitol cities or college towns over much, but I love Okies and the state I called home for many years.

What outsiders fail to grasp is OK is the Native State. There are more Native Americans in OK than any other state, except perhaps California. The Eastern part of the state is the National Home of the Cherokee Tribe at Tahlequah, as well as it is to The Five Civilized Tribes, and also to The Nine Federally Recognized Tribes of Eastern Oklahoma Region. Many of the elders still speak in native tongue.

Indians tend to be very reserved yet polite to strangers. They respect family, culture, history and unlike other cultures they hold their elders in high regard. The Indian way is common; they were hunters, trappers, fishers and growers long before white man ever invaded their land. The powwow celebrates their history and culture. Every drum beat and every foot step has a meaning. Don't take pictures at a powwow without asking first as some of the culture is steeped in hundreds of years of fear passed from one generation to the next.

They don't wear costumes at powwow: it is properly called "regalia".

NEOK is one of the most beautiful areas of the state with rolling hills, high cliffs, native plants and animals, and heavily forested areas. Grove is nestled in a valley in the foothills of the Ozark Mountain Range on Grand Lake - a 60 mile body of water that traverses several counties. The south end of the lake is where the longest multiple arch dam in the world was build. It takes approximately four hours to drive around the lake. Grove is a self-contained town with power and water supply, hospital, doctors, nursing homes, groceries, pharmacies, restaurants, schools, two-year college, movie complex, golf, bowling, and all the other conveniences expected in a small town. It is a very decent area to live, raise kids, or retire -- if you are looking for a rural life.

The disadvantage is distance. Joplin, at 50 miles, is the nearest 'big' city for malls, shopping and large hospitals. There nearest VA Clinic is Muskogee or Fayetteville. Tulsa is a little more than a 100 miles for upscale everything; it is a beautiful green town. Branson, KC, Eureka Springs, War Eagle, Fayetteville, and Hot Springs are 90 miles or more from Grove. OK 412 is direct connection between I-44 and I-71 in Arkansas -- which is also a direct connection to both Hot Springs and KC.

There is no California surf or Chicago services and entertainment in NWAR, NEOK, SEKS or SWMO. Trader Joe's is found in KC and St.Louis. If you are Jewish you will go to Tulsa for Seder and other holiday foods. Most items can be special ordered at Petty's Fine Foods at Utica Square (21st & Utica). Temple is located directly behind the Square. In any case it is never a bad deal as Tulsa is considered the Art center of Oklahoma and it is a beautiful city with an aggregate population of over a million.

Grove has a good little hospital and it has one of the best Cardiologist in four states. Tulsa hospitals are superior to SWMO. It is well worth the extra miles if the difference between and life is important. I have zero experience with AR hospitals, but reports from friends who live there and deal with catastrophic illness they are satisfied with their health care.

The big difference is weather. NWAR and Fayetteville have some frightful weather that is not seen in Grove. I-40 and I-44 are squarely in Tornado Alley. OKC, Tulsa, and Miami in OK, plus Joplin and Springfield in MO are most affected by tornadic activity. OKC and Joplin have both been hit by F5 tornados.

If want a quieter life with all basic needs met plus a few surprises look at Grove. If you want a lot of night activity look at Tulsa. Outsiders need to understand that towns like Eureka Springs, War Eagle, Branson, and Hot Springs are seasonal tourist areas that are more pleasant to visit in off-season when you aren't fighting thousands of cars and lines of people to visit. Arkansas has a fair amount of illegals who work in huge chicken facilities for national corporations.

I fell in love with Oklahoma 30-years ago. And as much as I like the state as a whole, Grove is my second home.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM

374 posts, read 812,442 times
NW Arkansas (Fayetteville, Rogers, ect) isn't really Arkansas. It's a suburban concrete slab populated by Texans and Californians.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
^^ But is is still in Arkansas. I think the sprawl starts around Bella Vista and doesn't taper off until south of Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma