Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,336 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Moving from Indiana to Oklahoma. 15ac with no well or electric.

Earthbag with a cobb earthen plaster under 1000sf. All solar (15 panels with over 1000 amp hours in battery bank.

I can not seem to find the building codes for any of the cities in latimer county on the net. Any one point me in the right direction? I know the septic is at the state level but everything else I can't find.

hmmm any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,909,297 times
About the only "code" in Latimer county is going to be the Code of the West. Though the Code was always unwritten, here is a "loose" list of some of the guidelines:
  • Don't inquire into a person's past. Take the measure of a man for what he is today.
  • Never steal another man's horse. A horse thief pays with his life.
  • Defend yourself whenever necessary.
  • Look out for your own.
  • Remove your guns before sitting at the dining table.
  • Never order anything weaker than whiskey.
  • Don't make a threat without expecting dire consequences.
  • Never pass anyone on the trail without saying "Howdy".
  • When approaching someone from behind, give a loud greeting before you get within shooting range.
  • Don't wave at a man on a horse, as it might spook the horse. A nod is the proper greeting.
  • After you pass someone on the trail, don't look back at him. It implies you don't trust him.
  • Riding another man's horse without his permission is nearly as bad as making love to his wife. Never even bother another man's horse.
  • Always fill your whiskey glass to the brim.
  • A cowboy doesn't talk much; he saves his breath for breathing.
  • No matter how weary and hungry you are after a long day in the saddle, always tend to your horse's needs before your own, and get your horse some feed before you eat.
  • Cuss all you want, but only around men, horses and cows.
  • Complain about the cooking and you become the cook.
  • Always drink your whiskey with your gun hand, to show your friendly intentions.
  • Do not practice ingratitude.
  • A cowboy is pleasant even when out of sorts. Complaining is what quitters do, and cowboys hate quitters.
  • Always be courageous. Cowards aren't tolerated in any outfit worth its salt.
  • A cowboy always helps someone in need, even a stranger or an enemy.
  • Never try on another man's hat.
  • Be hospitable to strangers. Anyone who wanders in, including an enemy, is welcome at the dinner table. The same was true for riders who joined cowboys on the range.
  • Give your enemy a fighting chance.
  • Never wake another man by shaking or touching him, as he might wake suddenly and shoot you.
  • Real cowboys are modest. A braggert who is "all gurgle and no guts" is not tolerated
  • Be there for a friend when he needs you.
  • Drinking on duty is grounds for instant dismissal and blacklisting.
  • A cowboy is loyal to his "brand," to his friends, and those he rides with.
  • Never shoot an unarmed or unwarned enemy. This was also known as "the rattlesnake code": always warn before you strike. However, if a man was being stalked, this could be ignored.
  • Never shoot a woman no matter what.
  • Consideration for others is central to the code, such as: Don't stir up dust around the chuckwagon, don't wake up the wrong man for herd duty, etc.
  • Respect the land and the environment by not smoking in hazardous fire areas, disfiguring rocks, trees, or other natural areas.
  • Honesty is absolute - your word is your bond, a handshake is more binding than a contract.
  • Live by the Golden Rule.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,514,969 times
In other words, there are no codes pertaining to buildings. Isn't OK great????

Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 PM

32 posts, read 59,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansolar View Post
Hello,
Moving from Indiana to Oklahoma. 15ac with no well or electric.

Earthbag with a cobb earthen plaster under 1000sf. All solar (15 panels with over 1000 amp hours in battery bank.

I can not seem to find the building codes for any of the cities in latimer county on the net. Any one point me in the right direction? I know the septic is at the state level but everything else I can't find.

hmmm any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff
Call the Latimer county commisioners office. There are 3 district offices I think you want district 1 in Red Oak..

Old 07-21-2012, 04:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
This is the process I went through before I installed a septic, water, or electricity.

I selected where I was wanted to put the septic. The county health department came out and did a perch test. It takes 2 or 3 days to complete. Understand, you can *not* install a septic where a perc test failed. This does not mean you cannot test another another a few feet away or even an acre away.

The electric lines can be buried with/near the septic. You have to pull power in from the nearest source. It can be expensive. The water line has to be *X feet away from* the septic and field tiles to avoid cross-contamination.

Drilling a well may not be difficult, but it may be horribly expensive because in some parts of the state is over thick clay and hardpan. You can go to County Surveyor's Office. Take the legal description of the property you want to buy and have them check as to water availability. If you don't have it, the next thing you can do is get one or two large round cattle troughs and have water delivered. Drink and cook with bottled water. You will need water to flush, bathe and wash dishes.

I had light pole installed with the dusk to dawn light. I did it at the same time as the pole was 20" and I needed a deep hole to set it. The electric meter can be attached to the pole.

Oklahoma has horrific storms. Some areas are worse than others. I know nothing of Latimer County. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: