U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 01:32 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,368,825 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in the mobile home parks on or surrounding Grand Lake or otherwise in a wooded, scenic area. Most specifically, I would like to know if there are any at which lots can be purchased with HOA fees as opposed to renting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 AM

702 posts, read 2,376,520 times
There is so much development here on Grand I'm sure you can find what you are looking for. Many areas have mobile homes only too. I'd start with Bernice, seems like that entire town is mobile homes. Just don't speed, local cop gives out tickets for going 1MPH over speed limit! Big time speed trap.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM

11,543 posts, read 28,518,105 times
Bernice is small. More than a few tickets are earned from going over the bridge too fast. Kids fish on both sides of the bridge and they don't pay enough attention to cars when walking on the bridge. Streets tend to be a bit narrow and in the summer there are a lot of kids. There are two town on Grand Lake that have a hospital. One is on the north end at Grove the other is on the south end. The lake is 60 miles long and takes about 4.5 hour to drive around. It is lined with sloughs that contain very small communities. Fair Warning! In many of these areas you are lucky to get a dialup Internet connection; very, very lucky.

If you are in the Grove area and you do not live south of Honey Creek Bridge, and if you can get either AT&T or Suddenlink Cable you can have a broadband connection. By and large, cell phone reception inside a mobile is lousy.

One thing you need to understand is Grand Lake does floods from time to time. If flooded much worse before the GRDA wrested control of the lake from the US Army Corps of Engineers.

NE OK is one of the prettiest areas of OK because of its natural beauty. It is located in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains which means its heavily forested with rolling hills, high cliffs and filled with wildlife. Hungry hawks and eagles will grab small cats and dogs for dinner. It is not uncommon to see the black snake, scissortail, turkey, deer, box turtle, or scorpion from time to time. The ground dwellers really enjoy warm, dry rocks/concrete to sun on. If you don't like these critters don't invite them with decorative rock formations or buy a house with a drive way or patio on the west or south side of your house. The farther you live from town, the more likely you are to find them in your yard.

I am partial to the Grove areas for the reasons I just listed, plus the fact is has a decent hospital, a good medical community, shopping, movieplex, bowling, golf, grocers, restaurants, and all the things you expect to find in a small city. It is a pleasant life, the city employees are generally kind, and there is a good size retirement community in them that hills. Because it is a retirement area where there is a lot of monied seniors, Grove is not as stiff-neck conservative as most of the rest of the state. On the other hand, if you are conservative you really won't notice much difference.

I never heard of a mobile home park with HOA fees. It might exist, but I don't know where. In the park you can own a home and rent the lot. All parks have general use rules for the whole community. Lee's Mobile Home Park is in the cliffs above Grand Lake that is in a beautiful wooded area with awesome lake views. There is another park that is very near Sailboat Bridge on the right side that is nearest the water. It's pretty nice - which is mostly owner owned. Holiday Shores is owned lots. You can get phone but I don't know about cable. There was no able when I moved there in 1985.

Leaving Grove and driving south on US 59 (Main Street in Grove) across Honey Creek Bridge, there are some interesting areas to the right (West) between Lake Rd. 4 and Lake Rd. 6 places You won't to get too much much farther south because there is a fair amount of tornadic activity, plus the obvious problems with phone, cable and Internet.

You can also buy a lot with a mobile home already set up on it. You can also buy a lot and put a mobile on it in the county. The lot must be 3/4 acre or larger if you ever intend to add a septic and well. There are a few lots around the
Grove high school where you may find something around the Ford Baptist Church.

There are tons of beautiful lots around Grove where you can place a mobile home but there are trade-off and risks. How important is cable and Internet? Are you willing to drill 300'feet for water? What will you do with land that won't pass a perc test? No perc = no septic system! No legit contractor will install it without a test.

Been there, did it all; would go back and do it again. I've lived in several states, but the only one I would move back to a third time is Oklahoma.

OK is Okay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>