Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM

12 posts, read 17,543 times

Advertisements

Am planning a trip to southeast Oklahoma this fall and want to hit the colors. Any suggestions as to when I should plan my week of vacation in light of the dryness? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
We were in a drought last year too. I have a ranch in southeast OK and plenty of hills all around my land. We didn't have much fall colors just a hint of yellow then it was gone. I do not expect fall colors this year. There have been years in the past that were beautiful but I doubt this will be one of them. Are you talking about taking the climbing staircase that takes you into Mena, AR?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,099 times
Likely little to no color this year, there wasn't last year.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM

778 posts, read 2,322,787 times
I went out Beaver's Bend last November expecting an array of colors. Nope, pretty much brown or bare.

It is *technically* not as dry this year down there as last, but yeah I don't expect a lot of color. Kinda stinks as I was planning a camping trip to Lake Eufaula the first week of November with the expectation of fall foliage.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM

410 posts, read 342,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
We were in a drought last year too. I have a ranch in southeast OK and plenty of hills all around my land. We didn't have much fall colors just a hint of yellow then it was gone. I do not expect fall colors this year. There have been years in the past that were beautiful but I doubt this will be one of them. Are you talking about taking the climbing staircase that takes you into Mena, AR?
I sadly agree Debbie. The drought will stifle the Fall colors in SE Ok. We try to drive up every Fall.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM

410 posts, read 342,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I went out Beaver's Bend last November expecting an array of colors. Nope, pretty much brown or bare.

It is *technically* not as dry this year down there as last, but yeah I don't expect a lot of color. Kinda stinks as I was planning a camping trip to Lake Eufaula the first week of November with the expectation of fall foliage.
It sucks.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:08 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,425 times
I'm not sure about other parts of the state, but I've noticed at least here in Central OK., we tend to get more vibrant fall colors after a dry hot summer that is followed by modest amounts of rain in Sept.&Oct. The cottonwoods appear to turn the most vivid colors with brilliant gold and yellows. In wetter years, I've noticed duller fall colors.. again this is here in the centre of the state where we have more cottonwoods.
Further east, unfortunately the last few years I haven't made it during peak color season but I know with all the mixed deciduous forests that you need at least some moisture for a nice color season. Being that I spent a large part of my life in the northern US, we had the best color when we had right about average rainfall and temperatures for the last couple of month's prior.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Fall colors have absolutely nothing to do with weather. Colors happen due to shortened daylight hours.

That said, if the weather causes the trees to die or leaves to shed early, well, obviously there's nothing there to be any color, fall or otherwise.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Fall colors have absolutely nothing to do with weather. Colors happen due to shortened daylight hours.

That said, if the weather causes the trees to die or leaves to shed early, well, obviously there's nothing there to be any color, fall or otherwise.

According to United States National Arboretum, a wet growing season followed by a dry autumn filled with sunny days and cool, frostless nights results in the brightest palette of fall colors. Changes in weather can speed up, slow down or change the arrival time of fall’s colorful foliage. For example:

- Drought conditions during late summer and early fall can trigger an early “shutdown” of trees as they prepare for winter. This causes leaves to fall early from trees without reaching their full color potential.
- Freezing temperatures and hard frosts can kill the processes within a leaf and lead to poor fall color and an early separation from a tree.

*NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Monitoring & Understanding Our Changing Planet

A couple of our trees are dropping leaves.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

"Fall colors have absolutely nothing to do with weather." "if the weather causes the tree" Contradict yourself much? At least romney lets a year go by before he changes his mind.......you did it in three sentences........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: