U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 AM

256 posts, read 577,624 times

Advertisements

My family is driving my daughter to college in Oklahoma. Our mapped out route requires the use of some of the states toll roads. Do all the toll roads allow cash payments or are you required to have a Parkpass only for some of them? Two of the ones we will be using is the John Kilpatrick Turnpike from I-40 to I-35 and the Cimarron Turnpike from Stillwater to Tulsa. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,209,382 times
I believe they all take cash. I know the Kilpatrick does. All the ones I've ever driven on take cash. I've never driven on the Cimarron, but I would assume it took cash.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Thank you. I just didn't want to get a ticket if the tollroads only require that you have a Parkpass. Some of the tollroads in California, where we are coming from, require you to have a transponder because they don't take cash.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM

22,775 posts, read 11,075,588 times
Texas is the same way on some toll roads. Found that out the hard way.

I see you're coming from Norco/Corona. What college would you be going to? If they're the majors, OU and OSU would not require turnpike travel. Tulsa would if you want to get there via interstate-type highways only.

The Cimarron has cash stations.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM

85 posts, read 208,517 times
take pocket change, some of the roads just have a basket that collects your quarters, dimes, and the such

Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 AM

7,776 posts, read 11,634,696 times
I've never bought a pikepass and have never driven on any pike requiring a pass. They all take cash.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,111,421 times
some of the cash places require exact change only......make sure you have plenty of coins.........

Old 08-07-2012, 02:22 PM

4,033 posts, read 10,209,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
some of the cash places require exact change only......make sure you have plenty of coins.........
Good point. I forgot about that. I've had a pikepass for so long I forgot all about the exact change places.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM

My daughter is going to OSU. We have already reserved a Pikepass and we are going to pick it up at the Turnpike office in Oklahoma City on Friday. Directions from I-40 state to take the John Kilpatrick Turnpike to the office and then continue on to I-35. I don't mind paying the toll. Compared to Southern California they are quite cheap. My daughter will be flying out of Tulsa on several occasions to St. Louis for horseshows. I was told the quickest way is to take the Cimarron Turnpike. She can also park at the airport using her Parkpass. It is also my understanding that I-44 from Tulsa to the Missouri State line is a toll road. Thanks for all the replies. It will be an exciting journey for my daughter.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 AM

11,539 posts, read 28,673,821 times
Oh dear, form the Texas border I-40 to I-44 through Tulsa is not a toll road. And you don't pay tolls into MO. Go into Kansas and pick US 160 EAST. You will enter Missouri North of Joplin, MO and South of Pittsburg, KS.

At this junction, find I-71.
[1] Go South on I-71 S to I-44, or continue south to Pea Ridge Civll War Battlefield, Eureka Springs, War Eagle Mill, Fayetteville and Hot Springs, AR. If she does this she will cross through three mountain ranges: Ozark, Boston, and Quichita.

[2] Go North on I-71 to US 54 and Lake of The Ozarks, Jefferson City, and I-70, or stay N on I-71 to KC.

[3] Go EAST on i-44 to Springfield/Branson, Lebanon, Rolla, to I-270/I-44 to St. Louis/Chicago/Memphis and I-55.

If daughter wants to go to Fayetteville take 412 out of Tulsa. There is one toll at US 59 and the AR border. The same US 59 is free from Afton OK Exit to I-40 and there is no toll to jump off on 412 -- which does cross I-71 S.

The only time your daughter needs a pass is when she's on OK toll roads. I drove from Ok, MO and IL to CA several times and never paid a toll.

If you daughter will be driving alone a lot she needs some basic equipment. A 9volt flashlight. A car charger for her cell phone. An AC/DC NOAA weather radio with fresh batteries. A good truckers map. It is plastic coated pages, spiral bound, Every page has a 24 hr. human answered phone number for help.

OKC and Tulsa are in Tornado Alley. The storms are ferocious. Storms move out of Texas and generally move SW to NE along 1-40 and 1-44 to the MO border where they split and go N on Rangeline Road in Jopin or soutb on US 60 to Neosho and into Springfield. OKC and Joplin have both been struck by F-5 and stronger tornadoes. Where one lives in Tulsa is important. NW or SE and away from Interstate routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma