U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,124 times

Advertisements

My husband, four kiddos, and myself are thinking of relocating to Edmond, Bethany, or Guthrie OK. We plan on doing this when my dh gets a job out there. We have some of his family who lives out there too. We want to make this move so our kids can have a better quality of life. So far what I have read makes me wish I grew up there myself. I just want to know what it "really" is like out there. How are the jobs, the pay, housing, and the schools? My kids are 10, 9, 5 and 1. Any advice or input I appreciate.

p.s.
I have lived in San Diego most of my life but for a small period in Roselle IL. I really want to live somewhere like that again, in the suburbs. I am not much for the city living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 PM
J24

448 posts, read 805,620 times
Edmond is a really great place to live. It's been on numerous lists of the best/safest cities in the country. It's safe, the housing is cheap (compared to SoCal), and probably a lot more jobs. It depends in what line of work you're in, but unemployment in Oklahoma alone is under 5%, so that should tell you something.

The schools are some of the best in the state as well. There are 3 main high schools in Edmond, and many elementary schools as well. I can't speak at all for Bethany or Guthrie, but from what I've gathered, Edmond definitely beats them.

You can easily get from Edmond to Bricktown (downtown OKC) in 25-30 minutes tops if you want to have a nice night out, and it's also not a terribly far drive from places like Frontier City or White Water for the kids in the summer. Edmond traffic can be a pain during rush hour times, but it's not the worst traffic ever.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM

664 posts, read 1,903,452 times
I think you would like Edmond, Guthrie may be a bit too far. It is not really considered a suburb of OKC. The Edmond or Deer Creek (far west Edmond and beyond) are known for being some of the best school districts.

The pay may not be as much as you are used to depending on the job, but then again the cost of living is less here so it really all evens out. As far as housing your money will buy you more here (bigger house and/or more land).

I also can't speak for Bethany, though I work in that area I have never lived there. I live 1/2 way between Edmond and Guthrie.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 AM

4,033 posts, read 10,023,010 times
Of the three areas you mentioned, I would definitely go with Edmond, if for no other reason than the schools. They are some of the best in the state. As prerunner mentioned, Guthrie is really a bit far if you are commuting into the city, although people do it. There's really no reason to go out that far, and their schools are not generally well thought of. As for Bethany, I don't really know much about the area. It's one of those places that you really never know you are in. You just think it's part of OKC. I'm sure there are some nice areas there, but I've never really seen them, but as I said, I really don't know much about it. I've never heard anything about their schools.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM
J24

448 posts, read 805,620 times
From some people I know that actually lived and went to school in Bethany, I've only heard that it's going downhill. Edmond is definitely the place to be in OKC for a family.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM

778 posts, read 2,153,426 times
I would second Bethany as a place to avoid. Not that its a terrible, dangerous place to live, but the town has a ratty quality to it.

Out of your list, Edmond would be the best place. But if you desire county living, Guthrie might be worth a look. As debzkidz suggested, its a really long haul to OKC (35 miles to downtown OKC) but it could be an option if you want small town living. I would probably see where you or your spouse would be working before you moved out that far though.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,124 times
Thank you everyone for your input. I am leaning more toward Edmond. My husband has many years as a branch manager in the flooring industry also all around construction. As for me I would like to work part time as a secretary or front office. I will need to find day care for my one year old daughter though.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 14,136 times
I've lived in OKC/Edmond my whole life and am now raising 3 kids. My dh and I both work full time. I wouldn't live anywhere except Edmond for the schools, neighborhoods, safety, etc. You can get anywhere in the metro area pretty quickly. The homes are more expensive than other parts of the city, but compared to Cali, will feel like a steal. There are also good day care centers such as Goddard School, My Small Wonders ... they cost more than others, but I've heard great things about them. We have a nanny who comes to our house, which is ideal for us. We have two kids in Edmond Elementary schools, and they LOVE it. At their particular school, there are so many parent volunteers that they have to turn people away. The teachers are happy, kids are happy ... it's the best way to grow up, I think.

My personal complaint about Oklahoma is the HOT summer and lack of natural beauty -- mountains, lakes, oceans, etc. We have lakes, but they are few and far between and crowded.

We have alot of great restaurants -- something people who transfer here don't always expect. I don't like to eat at chains, and there are so many unique, delicious places to eat -- Cheever's, Iron Starr, Stella's, Sophabella's ... the list goes on.

I don't know anyone out of a job here, so I guess employment is good. There are alot of solid employers in the energy industry and biotech.

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,200 times
@sanfordfam I cant elaborate much more on what has already been posted, its all spot on. I can invite you to visit my website at [URL="http://www.JessieTeehee.com"]www.JessieTeehee.com[/URL] where you will find some relevent local city and state links to familiarize yourself with our Metro.

Feel free to call me direct at (405) 463-6709 or IM me on fb - jessie teehee or my business page at jessie teehee real estate team. Good luck and let me know how I may be of assistance.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 9,473,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraisland View Post

My personal complaint about Oklahoma is the HOT summer and lack of natural beauty -- mountains, lakes, oceans, etc. We have lakes, but they are few and far between and crowded.
Oklahoma has more man made lakes than any other state. There are plenty of beautiful uncrowded lakes in the state but as you state, the ones around the metro are pretty crowded.

Oklahoma also has lots of varied natural beauty although it isn't spectacular like California.

Also, I would rule out Bethany but the next towns over Yukon and Mustang aren't bad.

Edmond is really nice but very suburban while Guthrie still has a small town feel. Guthrie is also neat because it was the territorial capitol and has really unique and wonderful downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma