U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,290 times

Advertisements

We are moving from California, where my boys have grown up. I'm worried about the big change from the city life to country life. Can someone tell me what other teens do there in Ada? Thanks

Last edited by sunrico90; 10-27-2007 at 08:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,801,121 times
Oh, Wow! They may be bored for a while depending on where you lived in CA. Even I had a hard time of it as I was so used to just shopping and eating out. I hope they don't end up watching TV or playing video games or even being on the computer all day long like a lot of kids do, even in CA. I am from CA but have adjusted really well here and no longer miss anything there outside of Trader Joes, Pier 1, and Costco. But I have since found a better store than Trader Joes.

He can fish here, go to movies, get together with friends, hike. Get into some activies, clubs. I hope parents with children will answer you better than me because I never had children. I can tell you what I did as a child without TV and in a small town. I had a dog and I would take him to the river and hike in the hills. I would walk all over town and explore things, like stores, buildings, etc.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:40 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,201,011 times
Most teen age boys like lazer tag. Here is a link to the Fun Center in Ada.
Lazer Zone Family Fun Center - Ada, Oklahoma

What do your boys like to do in California?

Old 10-14-2007, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,648 times
Well I moved to Oklahoma from California 4 years ago. My oldest is 17 and goes to Ada for skateboarding, movies, dinner, Lazer Zone (and its more that just lazertag) I also have 2 smaller children and we go to Ada for fun also...we live in a small town and Ada is the town closest to us for anything fun to do. Also your not that far from OK City..so day trips to the "city" will be fun also. Its not all that bad here

Old 10-14-2007, 01:34 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,493,237 times
Ada is growing, maybe not so much in population but in businesses and things to do. The city is only 18,000 but it's a regional center. It even had a television station for decades (KTEN), which has now moved to Denison, but still has roots in Ada. It has a University (East Central State University), some great parks, the lazertag place, and other places of interest. Depending on where you move from, it has a lot to offer for a small city. But, it will not be like a large city in California. I was born in Ada and love the place so I'm biased.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:19 PM

33,109 posts, read 19,439,304 times
I will have to play devil's advocate on this one. This post will be very UN-redbird-LIKE. But just wait until the end. Because I have to wade through the bad part to get to the good part.

I have always hated Ada. I don't know why. If I were a 16/17 yr old kid, I would really hate it.

The business side of town looks like a dying brick warehouse. The streets are all rickety and there are too many empty stores. I think my problem with Ada (and I admit it IS my problem) is it just doesn't have a unique character. It's like Ada has inherited all the worst traits of all that a small town could be. Just tell your boys to endure it, they will 18 soon enough and can move the heck out of town.

Whew! Sorry. Had to get it out. Now, having said that. A lot depends on your boyz mindset. Are they spoiled rotten and used to being catered to?
Then they will hate it.

But then, kids adjust and if they are leaving behind vato locos, crowded freeways, etc, then they will thank you for it later. I grew up in California, but I always loved the rural OKLA setting because that was where my grandparents lived.

Rural means living way out in the country where boys can walk for hours exploring and hunting. But your boys are in the hormones-gone-wild stage, so they will want a little more out of life. Hopefully, they will have a car.

To Ada's credit, they have ECU, and any town with a college is better than most small towns. To put it into an 18 year old's viewpoint, a college means GIRLZ!

Old 10-14-2007, 03:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 14,801,121 times
My greatgrandmothers were from Oklahoma too Redbird. Came on the Trail of Tears. My sister said that I was just moving back to my roots.

Well, Ada has a lot more than the small town where I grew up. But now wait a minute Redbird, you hated Ada so does that mean you were spoiled rotten? LOL.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:14 PM

33,109 posts, read 19,439,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
My greatgrandmothers were from Oklahoma too Redbird. Came on the Trail of Tears. My sister said that I was just moving back to my roots.

Well, Ada has a lot more than the small town where I grew up. But now wait a minute Redbird, you hated Ada so does that mean you were spoiled rotten? LOL.
Was I spoiled rotten? No waaay! Well, maybe a little.

We have been going to Ada every single day for the past 3 months for cancer treatment and I took a few classes at ECU. I have cousins who live in Ada. I don't REALLY hate it. I don't know.

We were just talking about this the other day. To me, Ada has no soul. The terrain is blah, and it has fast food places up the kazoo, and it has the IHS (Indian Hospital) there, but for some reason, I have never taken a liking to Ada.

My childhood years were spent in SW Oklahoma *Kiowa County, and my grandparents lived waaay the heck out in the country. My grandpa had horses and my grandma had chickens and guineas, etc. So, for me as a kid, rural OK was paradise. We used to go huntin and fishin every single day with our mutt heinz 57 dogs. It was great.

In the context of the OP, I wouldn't wish Ada on anyone. But as an adult who got sick of Los Angeles suburbs (SE L.A.), I think Oklahoma is great. But like Synopse said, he grew up there, so for him, it is a special place.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,201,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeerose View Post
Well I moved to Oklahoma from California 4 years ago. My oldest is 17 and goes to Ada for skateboarding, movies, dinner, Lazer Zone (and its more that just lazertag) I also have 2 smaller children and we go to Ada for fun also...we live in a small town and Ada is the town closest to us for anything fun to do. Also your not that far from OK City..so day trips to the "city" will be fun also. Its not all that bad here
More than lazertag is true at the fun center. They have activities for the younger kids too. Do the kids just go to hang out there? Sounds like your oldest has adjusted well to the change from California. How did your kids react when you first arrived in Ada?

Redbird, I agree about Ada somewhat. From the outside it seems kind of bland and very quiet. I go to Ada a lot, but don't know anyone there well, just acquaintances. If I were in your shoes, I would have a lot of negative feelings going there every day. I am so sorry that your companion has cancer.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 AM

11,884 posts, read 35,493,237 times
Ada has its good and bad. It has been kind of run by a good 'ol boy system for many years, but I think they are being pushed out, slowly but surely. Lots of development going on there. I have fond memories because aside from my time growing up in Gerty and Holdenville being "our Ada" when we moved to Allen, Ada was the place to go for hanging out and having a good time. For decades the town didn't really prosper or go downhill, it just kind of existed. Over the last five or six years, that has really changed. Yes, there are a lot of fast food franchises there, but there are also some great mom and pop places. I think the University being there brings a lot higher class of individuals to the area. The main reason I'm fond of Ada is that I've had so very many good times there during my teenage years and young adult life. I can see how some would not like Ada. It's not really an especially beautiful place, although it does have some nice areas to the SE of town. I absolutely hate the four-way stop they call crazy corner or something. But most of all, it's the memories and great friends that I had in Ada that makes it special to me. I spent a lot of Friday and Saturday nights in that town.

Redbird, I'm sorry to hear of the cancer treatment; I hope all goes well. Please keep us informed on how things turn out. You'll be in my prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma