Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 PM

180 posts, read 668,429 times

Advertisements

After reading about the follies of the Wesboro Baptist Church and Oklahoma being in the bible belt with what seems to be a church on every corner, I figure that there are more than a few extremist churches in our midst. Does anyone have info on the ones here?

Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 PM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times
I'm sure there are a few around but I hope nothing like the Westboro Baptist bunch. They are a black eye on Christianity and I can wholeheartedly tell you that they DO NOT represent the Baptist church in general.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I'm sure there are a few around but I hope nothing like the Westboro Baptist bunch. They are a black eye on Christianity and I can wholeheartedly tell you that they DO NOT represent the Baptist church in general.
Do you really think so? Many Christian Leaders say the same thing as WBC.

Baptist Pastor, Charles Worley said just this year: Worley calls for gays and lesbians to be put in an electrified pen and left to ultimately die off. "Build a great, big, large fence -- 150 or 100 mile long -- put all the lesbians in there," Worley suggests. "Do the same thing for the queers and the homosexuals and have that fence electrified so they can't get out...

Seems like every time there is a national disaster, some preacher or religious leader blames the gays for it.

Oklahoma State Representative, Sally Kern, who's is the wife of a baptist Pastor, is on record of saying gays are worst than terrorist, and are like a cancer on our society, and should be dealt with. She was greeted with a stand ovation, shortly after making her remarks, in the Oklahoma house of representatives.

There are many other anti gay remakes that our religious leaders make that are the same thing as WBC spews. Things such as "Homesexuals are not welcomed in the Kingdom of Heaven" Same thing as "God Hates _ags"

There are many other hateful things religious leaders say, just google it.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post

Baptist Pastor, Charles Worley said just this year: Worley calls for gays and lesbians to be put in an electrified pen and left to ultimately die off. "Build a great, big, large fence -- 150 or 100 mile long -- put all the lesbians in there," Worley suggests. "Do the same thing for the queers and the homosexuals and have that fence electrified so they can't get out...

Seems like every time there is a national disaster, some preacher or religious leader blames the gays for it.

Oklahoma State Representative, Sally Kern, who's is the wife of a baptist Pastor, is on record of saying gays are worst than terrorist, and are like a cancer on our society, and should be dealt with. She was greeted with a stand ovation, shortly after making her remarks, in the Oklahoma house of representatives.

There are many other anti gay remakes that our religious leaders make that are the same thing as WBC spews. Things such as "Homesexuals are not welcomed in the Kingdom of Heaven" Same thing as "God Hates _ags"

Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:

^^Sad, but true. ^^

Someone told a friend there would be no catholics in heaven. Only baptists. And not all baptists, just free will baptists.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:

Some "religious leaders" say hatefulness about a lot of things. I grew up in a church where pretty much everything I wanted to do was a sin and if I didn't follow a certain path, I would burn in Hell of everlasting fire and brimstone. Wearing lipstick was a sin, going to a movie was a sin. You name it. SIN!

One of the first things a news reporter looks for is what is negative about any given situation. They want to know what was upsetting. That's was the news is mostly about. The negative, the outrageous, the anomaly. The public is not looking for the good things happening, well, if they are it's so much better if the bad dominates. There is no English language equivalent to the German word schadenfreude, which means feeling enjoyment from the troubles of others. If it is something different, it's more news worthy and people want to hear it. Certain "religious leaders" are known to be more than willing to give a reporter what the reporter wants to write.

Perhaps someday, being an artist will be the norm. When my son was growing up, he yearned for me to
be like other mothers who were in the kitchen baking cookies instead of being at my easel with a cigarette burning in the ashtray. That was back before the era of both parents working. Some people remember when it was unusual for both parents to work, if both parents were present. Plenty of negative comments occur regarding artists. Ask someone what comes to their mind when they think of artists? Very likely it will be be something negative.

Eventually, being gay will not be unusual. Maybe. People are more accepting now than before. If a person wants to find where being gay is considered the worse of the worse, they can still find it. Gays can search for places where others will point to them and whisper. They can find extremist churches where they won't be welcome. Until it's the norm, it's going to be that way. Intelligence is a large part of the human condition.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,730 times
The WBC does not, and never will represent any but a small minority of ignorant, intolerant, hateful jerks.
While I personally don't approve of homosexuality, I don't deem it a crime worthy of the punishments that the WBC and their like-minded morons espouse.
I don't deem it a crime at all. I just don't approve of it.
I have only heard of one "extremist" church in Oklahoma. I think it's in Elhoim City in the far eastern part of the state. They had some sort of involvement with Timothy McVeigh before his attack on the Murrah Building, but I can't remember what it was, precisely.
Anyway, I doubt that anyone moving here, gay or straight will have much to fear from any faith, church, or religious group. And if they do, I'd simply tell then to consider the source and just ignore the idiots.
But that's just my personal opinion.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I agree with you rockyinyouraddio

Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
I would hope Oklahoma would hurry up and start getting with it in accepting modern issues, such as same sex marriage and legalizing marijuana. If any out of state extremist groups like the Phelps of Topeka find themselves in need of moving to a new hq, I would rather them not think of Oklahoma as an attractive looking place.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I would hope Oklahoma would hurry up and start getting with it in accepting modern issues, such as same sex marriage and legalizing marijuana. If any out of state extremist groups like the Phelps of Topeka find themselves in need of moving to a new hq, I would rather them not think of Oklahoma as an attractive looking place.
Hear, hear! Well spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma