U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,277 times

Advertisements

My husband may be taking a job located in Ponca City, OK. Since he wont be coming home every night we are not too concerned with living in that particular city. We are looking for a small town between 5,000 - 8,000 in population. We are from Southern California and hate how one city just runs into the other so we are really looking for something where you feel like you are in a small town. We have three kids in elementary so a good school system is a must. We are into hunting, fishing, off roading, outdoorsy stuff... etc and would like if that type of stuff was easily accessible. I have never even been to Oklahoma so I am clueless as to even know where to start looking. We will be making a trip out there to look around but I would love to have a list of places to check out before we go. any suggestions and advice would be great.
Thanks

Just a little note: We grew up in So Cal. Then moved to a town of 1,200 in So Utah. Back to California and now in a resort town of about 11,000 in Colorado. Hoping to make this our last move and put some real roots down. I do not want to move to a bigger town with a "small town feel." I really want to be in a small town.
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM

14,503 posts, read 10,521,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommax3girls View Post
My husband may be taking a job located in Ponca City, OK. Since he wont be coming home every night we are not too concerned with living in that particular city. We are looking for a small town between 5,000 - 8,000 in population. We are from Southern California and hate how one city just runs into the other so we are really looking for something where you feel like you are in a small town. We have three kids in elementary so a good school system is a must. We are into hunting, fishing, off roading, outdoorsy stuff... etc and would like if that type of stuff was easily accessible. I have never even been to Oklahoma so I am clueless as to even know where to start looking. We will be making a trip out there to look around but I would love to have a list of places to check out before we go. any suggestions and advice would be great.
Thanks

Just a little note: We grew up in So Cal. Then moved to a town of 1,200 in So Utah. Back to California and now in a resort town of about 11,000 in Colorado. Hoping to make this our last move and put some real roots down. I do not want to move to a bigger town with a "small town feel." I really want to be in a small town.
Thank you
I grew up in Ponca City. It's a pretty nice town but it has lost a lot since Conoco merged with Phillips oil. About the only town of 5 to 8 thousand around there is Blackwell. It's about 20 miles northwest.

Newkirk and Tonkawa are closer but are a lot smaller. There is really nothing else.

To be honest, Ponca City is going to be the best place to live. They have really good schools due to Conoco being there all those years. They have the nicest housing inventory and the most amenities. They also have a bit of culture there which is surprising for a small town.

This is not to say that the other towns are bad, but you end up going to Ponca City a lot anyway if you live in them.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM

229 posts, read 362,685 times
After 35 years in Southern California, I moved to Oklahoma from 2008 to 2011, and spent 3 years in Kay and Osage Counties. Although I am back in So. Cal, I enjoyed my time there. Ponca City is a wonderful small town (small compared to any place in So. Cal). Absolutely the friendliest people I have ever met.
Newkirk, Blackwell, Tonkawa and Kaw City are close by, but as the previous poster said, the best schools will be in Ponca City.
Modest 3 and 4 bedroom, 2 bath homes will start around $90,000 and go up to the $350,000+ range (these homes would be $400,000 to $1,300,000 in So. Cal.

Ponca has a hospital, most major stores, many cafes and diners, and is about a 2 hour drive to Wichita, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Great location, great area to raise kids.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,931 times
Wondering about their job market...Husband is Machinest and has printing press experiance too..need a place that offers good job and great place to raise our older kids...

Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM

14,503 posts, read 10,521,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homehunting View Post
Wondering about their job market...Husband is Machinest and has printing press experiance too..need a place that offers good job and great place to raise our older kids...
There was a pretty big machine shop outfit called Mertz when I lived there. I assume it's still there. The Ponca City News would be the printing press option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma