U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 AM

6 posts, read 11,600 times

Advertisements

Me and my family are looking to possibly move to Ardmore in the future and were wondering about a few things. Looking online it looks like the crime rate, especially the violent crime rate, is pretty high for a town so small and seems to be rising every year. How good is the high school education system there? We currently have access to many honor classes and a specialized field high school (science - math, comp. sci, architecture, engineering) in our location. Gangs are virtually non-existent in our current high school. Looking at the real estate options online, it looks as though the majority of housing for sale in the sub $150K area are double-wides and modulars, although the acreage can be good. We've lived in smaller towns where we had to commute 35 miles each way to work and to the grocery store, so are there better options than Ardmore to live and still commute?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 AM

28,026 posts, read 18,308,289 times
One can do Oklahoma better, since there are a few bigger and better small towns in Oklahoma than Ardmore with lower crime rates to boot, with three of them being Bartlesville, Enid and Stillwater. For low crime rates, the suburban towns around Oklahoma City and Tulsa are pretty good for that, such as Edmond and Broken Arrow. At least Ardmore, when I saw it, didn't seem like a real runned down, decaying looking town.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM

13,695 posts, read 9,868,068 times
Ardmore is fine. Just move into the Plainview school district. Small town options that are commutable include Lone Grove and Dickson and a little further out Marrietta, and Healdton. Although Plainview schools can't be beat around there.

Ardmore is a lovely little town that isn't far from OKC or Dallas. It's close to some nice lakes Murray and Texoma and has your basic amenities, two or three pretty good restaurants, a plethera of homemade burger places and your typical fast food joints.

Ardmore has a great golf course in Dornick Hills and is close to Chickasaw point which is really nice.

Ardmore has about the most temperate weather in the state in the winter.

I think Ardmore is right in there with Enid and just below Stillwater on Townie's list. Bartlesville is probably the best small town in Oklahoma though because of ConocoPhillips and the legacy of Phillips petroleum, but I would put Ardmore in the top 5-7 small towns in the state. The Noble family has done a lot for that city.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info. If we move it would be to Ardmore or the surrounding area as that's where the job would be.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 PM

13,695 posts, read 9,868,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
Thanks for the info. If we move it would be to Ardmore or the surrounding area as that's where the job would be.
I don't think you can go wrong. Ardmore schools are pretty good as well but Plainview is one of the better schools in the state. Dickson and Lone Grove are a lot smaller if you want that. The commute to Ardmore from these two towns would be less than 10-15 minutes depending where you want to go. Healdton and Marrieta would be closer to 30 minutes.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 PM

Well, hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be getting a call from the Michelin plant about a job thanks to a friend of mine who's been there a little over a year, so Ardmore may be in our future. Any of you here on the forums have anything you can share about the pluses and minuses of working for Michelin?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 AM

5,513 posts, read 8,638,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
Well, hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be getting a call from the Michelin plant about a job thanks to a friend of mine who's been there a little over a year, so Ardmore may be in our future. Any of you here on the forums have anything you can share about the pluses and minuses of working for Michelin?
If you want better a education for your children then Plainview is the way to go. Also, while minimal, Plainview is actually closer to Michelin than Ardmore High.

Are you coming from out of state? If so, Welcome to the Great STATE of Oklahoma!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,073,149 times
I love Ardmore and comparing it negatively to Enid is criminal.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
If you want better a education for your children then Plainview is the way to go. Also, while minimal, Plainview is actually closer to Michelin than Ardmore High.

Are you coming from out of state? If so, Welcome to the Great STATE of Oklahoma!
I'm jumping the gun a little as I just put in the application at Michelin, but am hopeful and would like to get a feel for things before hand just in case.

IF an offer is presented that is worth taking we've actually talked about my wife staying here in Texas with our youngest and letting her finish her last year and a half of HS. Our oldest is finishing his third year at UT in Austin so no problem there.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:42 PM

32 posts, read 55,643 times
I'm looking for a friend that once lived in Ardmore her name was Barbra Angel. Angel was the maiden name.. Any help appreciated. Thanks She would be about 60 now I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma